So is A90J the only option?

UpgradingAgain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

reading through reviews and YouTube of course, I’m getting the picture (excuse the pun) that the A90J is king of oled for brightness, detail in shadows, motion, and that the LGs ( G1/C1) only have the gamers covered better! Please do correct me as I’m after a new 77 inch or bigger screen and I’d like to know the bigger picture ( pun intended). The YouTube guys only concern is the cost of the Sony and otherwise Fomo/Teoh and others have given the A90J the thumbs up. I’m sure many of you have had the same considerations so how did you decide? My viewing conditions are a lounge with big bay windows but we use shutters to keep light down. We use a Sony PS5 but by no means regularly ( once/twice a month). We watch the usual Netflix/ Prime/ Sky TV. My kids can leave the TV on pause at times or turn off sky so the Tv is still on showing no input! Does this mean no Oled? If so, then I’m concerned with what’s the best out there? I’m coming from the Sony 75X9405 which has been good but maybe I want better today.

Thanks in advance.

Take a look at the Panasonic JZ2000.

Take a look at the Panasonic JZ2000.
Hi, thanks but I don’t think it goes to 77inch plus, which is what I’m after. I’d love Panny to do so as I think they have a great pic. Perhaps not the best user interface though!

Hi, thanks but I don’t think it goes to 77inch plus, which is what I’m after. I’d love Panny to do so as I think they have a great pic. Perhaps not the best user interface though!
Ah missed that. At that size the A90J would be your best choice.

I have an 83" A90J in a fairly bright room (skylights with no blinds, thanks to the semiconductor shortage!)

I can recommend it, though honestly it's not like it blew me away compared with other OLEDs.

77" G1 is probably nearly as good and cheaper.

I have an 83" A90J in a fairly bright room (skylights with no blinds, thanks to the semiconductor shortage!)

I can recommend it, though honestly it's not like it blew me away compared with other OLEDs.

77" G1 is probably nearly as good and cheaper.
I am considering the G1 and perhaps the Samsung qn95a as the only led option. It hard going to a store and getting a good idea as they tend to have them set on vivid etc.

Just my two pence after being in a similar situation, upgrading from a 65” Panasonic I wanted my next TV to be a size as well as technology upgrade and I wanted to go as big as I could so it was 77” or 83” (or similar). And honestly after buying Panasonic for the past few years I would have stayed with them if they did bigger than 65” as I have found the PQ absolutely brilliant. Alas they seem determined to max out at 65” so it was time to look at the competition.

Originally I was set on the G1 at 77” as it just seemed the best in class at that size…but after staring at the wall it would go on and measuring and the re-measuring I really started to lean towards bigger, as frankly the space was there to be filled!

Which in turn led me to either the C1 or the A90, and in the end I went with the C1 - and considering they are the same price here are/were my drivers:

1. I wanted to go OLED! Coming from a FALD LED it seemed the next upgrade step.

2. I use a receiver and surround for sound, so the quality of TV sound and in particular the Sony ‘screen sound’ were irrelevant.

3. I have an Xbox Series X so wanted HDMI 2.1 functionality and with 4 x compatible ports the C1 offered me the best future proofing. With the LG and Sony having one HDMI for ARC you are limited to one 2.1 device on the Sony. The onus being on future proofing here, yes I only have one 2.1 device now, but one more device in future and the Sony presents an issue.

4. Related to the above, VRR etc functionality working NOW on the C1, rather than Sony offering only promises of functionality in future.

5. A small point but as always each to their own, I have a Sony in the kitchen and am not a fan of the menu systems and navigation, this for me is so much simpler on the LG.

Overall the only thing I was hesitating on was the lack of ‘evo’ panel on the C1 and the extra brightness people (like me!) seem to think they will miss out on. Well in short since having the C1 it doesn’t even factor, because of the better dynamic range of OLED over LED the highlights actually come across brighter on the C1 than they did on my FALD which on paper had a 250+ nits advantage. I can’t imagine a fully enabled evo panel would make a lot of difference, particularly not in real world viewing - and I certainly don’t watch/play content whilst studying exactly how much brighter a light bulb in 5% of the screen might be on another TV. But again each to their own.

Anyway my point was to offer an answer to your question, in my opinion the A90 is definitely not the only choice in that screen size space. As always it should come down to your wants and requirements. If you’re not a gamer for example then my HDMI 2.1 considerations probably won’t factor. And unless you are going to run two TV’s full time and spend your watching time comparing both images…then what you don’t end up buying is completely irrelevant. You can just enjoy the TV that you have in your living room and everything that comes with it.

I think it disingenuous to advise someone to buy something when they don’t also own the equivalent. Therefore all I will say is that I am very impressed with the C1 and now it is here and I’m using it I don’t spend my time wondering about other TV’s, because personally I don’t believe they will offer anything better than what I have.

Good luck with your buying journey!

Just my two pence after being in a similar situation, upgrading from a 65” Panasonic I wanted my next TV to be a size as well as technology upgrade and I wanted to go as big as I could so it was 77” or 83” (or similar). And honestly after buying Panasonic for the past few years I would have stayed with them if they did bigger than 65” as I have found the PQ absolutely brilliant. Alas they seem determined to max out at 65” so it was time to look at the competition.

Originally I was set on the G1 at 77” as it just seemed the best in class at that size…but after staring at the wall it would go on and measuring and the re-measuring I really started to lean towards bigger, as frankly the space was there to be filled!

Which in turn led me to either the C1 or the A90, and in the end I went with the C1 - and considering they are the same price here are/were my drivers:

1. I wanted to go OLED! Coming from a FALD LED it seemed the next upgrade step.

2. I use a receiver and surround for sound, so the quality of TV sound and in particular the Sony ‘screen sound’ were irrelevant.

3. I have an Xbox Series X so wanted HDMI 2.1 functionality and with 4 x compatible ports the C1 offered me the best future proofing. With the LG and Sony having one HDMI for ARC you are limited to one 2.1 device on the Sony. The onus being on future proofing here, yes I only have one 2.1 device now, but one more device in future and the Sony presents an issue.

4. Related to the above, VRR etc functionality working NOW on the C1, rather than Sony offering only promises of functionality in future.

5. A small point but as always each to their own, I have a Sony in the kitchen and am not a fan of the menu systems and navigation, this for me is so much simpler on the LG.

Overall the only thing I was hesitating on was the lack of ‘evo’ panel on the C1 and the extra brightness people (like me!) seem to think they will miss out on. Well in short since having the C1 it doesn’t even factor, because of the better dynamic range of OLED over LED the highlights actually come across brighter on the C1 than they did on my FALD which on paper had a 250+ nits advantage. I can’t imagine a fully enabled evo panel would make a lot of difference, particularly not in real world viewing - and I certainly don’t watch/play content whilst studying exactly how much brighter a light bulb in 5% of the screen might be on another TV. But again each to their own.

Anyway my point was to offer an answer to your question, in my opinion the A90 is definitely not the only choice in that screen size space. As always it should come down to your wants and requirements. If you’re not a gamer for example then my HDMI 2.1 considerations probably won’t factor. And unless you are going to run two TV’s full time and spend your watching time comparing both images…then what you don’t end up buying is completely irrelevant. You can just enjoy the TV that you have in your living room and everything that comes with it.

I think it disingenuous to advise someone to buy something when they don’t also own the equivalent. Therefore all I will say is that I am very impressed with the C1 and now it is here and I’m using it I don’t spend my time wondering about other TV’s, because personally I don’t believe they will offer anything better than what I have.

Good luck with your buying journey!
Thanks for your reply; I was hoping the Forum would offer views like yours so I could get help deciding! It’s very good of you to offer the comments you’ve made and it does make me think I’ll check out the C1/G1 comparing to Sony. I have read someone say there’s been HDMI issues with LG but not sure if that’s all models or a specific? Have you had any worries?

Thanks for your reply; I was hoping the Forum would offer views like yours so I could get help deciding! It’s very good of you to offer the comments you’ve made and it does make me think I’ll check out the C1/G1 comparing to Sony. I have read someone say there’s been HDMI issues with LG but not sure if that’s all models or a specific? Have you had any worries?
No problem at all and I hope it is useful.

I am very pleased with the LG and surprised at both the PQ upgrade from a FALD set as well as the overall brightness - if I believed everything I read across the internet you would think unless you are in a pitch black room OLED is useless when it comes to daytime viewing. My experience has been quite the opposite and I have been shocked at how bright the C1 actually is. It certainly enforces the point to not believe everything you read online.

Anyway I'm not sure what HDMI issues you have read about, but all I can say is that everything HDMI works just fine for me. I did have an issue with ARC not outputting sound from the TV apps after a restart (TV standby and back on again), however a complete power off of everything (TV, receiver and all connected devices) at the plug(s) resolved this. Of course I cannot say if this was actually the TV or the receiver...or any of the individually connected devices! But as you can see it was a simple fix in the end.

If both TV's tick all your boxes then I suppose the only way to choose will be to go and see them both in action in store. That was the difference for me, the C1 did the A90 did not for the reasons stated in my previous post.

On a side note I do find it interesting that the two sets are priced the same. The general opinion in most places seems to be that the A90 is a world beating OLED TV...yet LG must think that the C1 is able to compete!

The LG C1 83inch is MORE expensive than the A90J on JL?! What’s going on? 😂

The LG C1 83inch is MORE expensive than the A90J on JL?! What’s going on? 😂
Ah yes I think the Sony was recently reduced by £500? I haven't looked obviously :laugh:

Maybe off topic but I am yet to find a definitive overview/review of the LG AI Picture functionality. I have seen quite a bit of talk around the Sony version but the LG implementation remains a bit of a mystery. I have actually switched this on recently as from the little I have read it learns and improves over time, and I have certainly seen no negative effect after turning it on.

I am in the same boat but for a 65 inch, Sony A90J vs LG G1. The reviewers like Teoh have mentioned better color gradient for the Sony A90J. I don't know how much of an impact the difference in does color gradient have on overall PQ. My use is nearly 100% watching broadcast and streamed programs. Showroom are useless they have the TVs all set to the brightest settings, in semi dark rooms impossible to differentiate at those settings. My room is fairly bright during the day.

I'd appreciate any input too.

I am in the same boat but for a 65 inch, Sony A90J vs LG G1. The reviewers like Teoh have mentioned better color gradient for the Sony A90J. I don't know how much of an impact the difference in does color gradient have on overall PQ. My use is nearly 100% watching broadcast and streamed programs. Showroom are useless they have the TVs all set to the brightest settings, in semi dark rooms impossible to differentiate at those settings. My room is fairly bright during the day.

I'd appreciate any input too.

Reviewers often admit they're splitting hairs when looking for differences between two TVs equipped with the very same 'Evo' panel. The biggest considerations for you would be Sony's new XR processor, which most reviewers have praised, and the fact that you don't need the gaming features on the G1. I think you'd be very pleased with either choice, though.

With a PS5, no soundbar, I would hope and expect that the HDMI 2.1 x 2 would be sufficient. Now whether LGs VRR and ALLM really show up in games is something one of the gamers here could answer. I play once in a blue moon so it’s hard for me to appreciate

Hi,
I'm also looking to buy a 65" oled this year, coming from a 55" 910v LG oled. After much reading I'm focused on the Philips 806. Reading that Philips won various shootout competitions against Sony, LG and Panasonic I wonder why it is not more popular than those brands. Maybe it is because the reviews of those brands usually come earlier, and reviewers give them a sort of "best of the year" award even before testing all other brands, as I think happened with Sony this year.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom