So I'm thinking of making the jump, again.

Ricku

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I've had an iPhone since 2008 and in 2011 I made the jump to windows phone and got the HTC Titan. I had the phone for 6 months before it got 'hacked' or something and starting to spam messages out on my facebook account. The phone would also freeze a lot and not allow me to answer calls. I managed to get Amazon to give me a full refund. I bought an iPhone 4S and never looked back.

My iPhone is now getting a bit long in the tooth. The battery is fading and it doesn't run quite as smoothly as it used to. I've been looking at getting a new phone and I'm tempted by the current crop of Lumia phones, specifically the 1520.

I'm hoping windows phone has progressed since 2011 and I've also heard a notification centre is soon on the way. It appears to have all the essential apps I need and a few minor ones are also apparently on the way.

So I was hoping to get some advice from people who live with windows phone or who have even recently made the jump from iPhone. How do you find it? Does anyone here specifically have a Lumia 1520? Can you recommend it? I'm a little worried that it might be a bit big, but I do have quite big hands.

I've just made the jump from a iPhone 4s to a Lumia 1020 and couldn't be happier, does everything I want it to do, and with the 8.1 update due shortly, notifications won't be a problem.
The only thing for me that it lacks, and to be fair it's not Microsoft's fault is a HSBC business banking app, as I could do with this if I need to pay someone sharpish.
I will say though, I have embraced the Microsoft eco system, using Outlook for email and owning several MS devices and the Lumia works well within it.

I'm the same!
Currently using a Nexus 5 and after seeing the notification updates and more customisation I really am tempted to jump....again!
Already had: Samsung Omnia 7, Nokia Lumia 800, and an HTC 8S

Currently using one as a test for work. Does not support hangouts (which I use a lot) or youtube natively. Pity as I do like a lot of the things it does and the smoothness of it..

Currently using one as a test for work. Does not support hangouts (which I use a lot) or youtube natively. Pity as I do like a lot of the things it does and the smoothness of it..
What are hangouts?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'native' YouTube support. Even on the iPhone if you browse to a YouTube link it opens an app.

What are hangouts?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'native' YouTube support. Even on the iPhone if you browse to a YouTube link it opens an app.

What I mean is a beautifully designed environment app as opposed to the rather silly way in which Microsoft do it.

As for hangouts it's, again, a beautifully designed multi person group chat environment.

Youtube and Hangouts are apps owned by Google. Blame them for not bringing the apps out :)

Apologies @Incrediboy only just saw this thread.

I had an iPhone 4S before getting my Lumia 1520 and personally I have no regrets.

The 1520 is a great phone, battery life is around 36 hours depending on usage.

Its smooth and fast. Apps wise, i thought this was going to be painful, but its actually refreshing having a clean slate and starting again.

Any questions (if your still looking) let me know.

I am tempted to make the same jump. I made the switch from Android to Windows Phone before but it felt like such a step back to me. I quickly switched back to Android.

However, this was in the WP7 days. If WP8 is the improvement it is supposed to be, then it might just tempt me back. So I would like to ask a few questions to anyone who has made the same jump.

Are you happy you made the switch? Do you ever regret the decision?
Has the range of apps improved in the last two years since I last owned a Windows Phone?
What are the major drawbacks of Windows Phone over Android that still exist now, barring the fewer customisation options?
What is the best WP handset under £150 or, at a push, £200?

A decent camera would be a big plus as the one on my Nexus 4 is not the best. My most used apps are TSB and Tesco Bank, Google Maps, WeQ4U, Profile Scheduler, eBay, Amazon and Gmail. I have noticed WeQ4U is not available on WP so what is a good alternative? I also use SMS forwarder and similar types of apps but I can take or leave those. I am not really a big gamer so it isn't an issue if there aren't that many games on WP.

ETA: I have just remembered there is a number you can dial to access the WEQ4U service, so that's not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am tempted to make the same jump. I made the switch from Android to Windows Phone before but it felt like such a step back to me. I quickly switched back to Android.

However, this was in the WP7 days. If WP8 is the improvement it is supposed to be, then it might just tempt me back. So I would like to ask a few questions to anyone who has made the same jump.

Are you happy you made the switch? Do you ever regret the decision?
Has the range of apps improved in the last two years since I last owned a Windows Phone?
What are the major drawbacks of Windows Phone over Android that still exist now, barring the fewer customisation options?
What is the best WP handset under £150 or, at a push, £200?

A decent camera would be a big plus as the one on my Nexus 4 is not the best. My most used apps are TSB and Tesco Bank, Google Maps, WeQ4U, Profile Scheduler, eBay, Amazon and Gmail. I have noticed WeQ4U is not available on WP so what is a good alternative? I also use SMS forwarder and similar types of apps but I can take or leave those. I am not really a big gamer so it isn't an issue if there aren't that many games on WP.

ETA: I have just remembered there is a number you can dial to access the WEQ4U service, so that's not a problem.
If you want a phone which is £150-200 to buy outright (no contract) the a Windows Phone might be a good idea. The low end Lumias are fast and look nice.

Personally, I'm thinking of moving to an iPhone for the first time. App support is slowly improving on WP; you will get eBay, Amazon, and some banking apps (I use Natwest). However, many key apps are still missing, or are less feature rich than their iOS or Android equivalents.

Don't mistake me for a hater; I have used Windows Mobile and Windows Phone for a very long time, with a brief flirtation with Symbian. However, I now need certain apps for work and leisure which I just can't get. As I live in an Apple household (with various iPads and AppleTV) it makes sense for me personally to go iPhone.

If you want a phone which is £150-200 to buy outright (no contract) the a Windows Phone might be a good idea. The low end Lumias are fast and look nice.

Personally, I'm thinking of moving to an iPhone for the first time. App support is slowly improving on WP; you will get eBay, Amazon, and some banking apps (I use Natwest). However, many key apps are still missing, or are less feature rich than their iOS or Android equivalents.

Don't mistake me for a hater; I have used Windows Mobile and Windows Phone for a very long time, with a brief flirtation with Symbian. However, I now need certain apps for work and leisure which I just can't get. As I live in an Apple household (with various iPads and AppleTV) it makes sense for me personally to go iPhone.

Thanks. As long as I can get my essential apps, I can live with the inferior app support for WP. I have two Android tablets anyway that I could fall back on.

I haven't gone from Andriod to Windows Phone but did go from iPhone to Windows Phone in December and have no regrets.

I love the OS, which got loads better when 8.1 came out. There is an overall lack of apps, but that is changing and more and more are coming out.

The main apps missing are games, and personally I don't care for candy crush etc

Just got the latest Preview Update to install on my 920 - love the Live Folders thing, and Cortana is pretty cool, though still to use it for anything more than playing around and setting alarms.

I'd agree with Brumhee - there's apps there for pretty much everything, unless you want the latest games.
I don't think I could go back to iOS now - its so flat and lifeless.

Thanks all. The Nokia Lumia 925 is very tempting but it's a bit above my price range. Any other handsets somebody can recommend for under £200?

I picked up my 925 for £130 off t'Bay

Just bought a Lumia 635 as I dropped my Android phone and waiting for it to be repaired. Pleasantly surprised at this 'budget' phone. Never used a windows phone before but it is very efficient and surprisingly fast. Like the whole thing very much, the resolution does not even bother me as it is quite efficient for what I am using it for at the moment.

Picked mine up for £129.00 sim free, and if I had gone the PAYG route it would have been a tenner cheaper.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom