• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question So i want to buy an oled

numskull1980

Established Member
Hello everybody..... Im thinking of buying an oled TV (probably the 55BX6LA or the 55CX5LB, or maybe even the 48CX5LC, all by LG)... But being a gamer, i have a few questions first that i hope you guys can answer for me, thanks in advance

First and foremost, im thinking of buying from john lewis, pureky because the extended warranty states that it covers screen burn....... Does anybody have any experience with making a claim from john lewis extended warrant because of burn in? If yes, how did it go and was the burn caused by gaming??

Secondly, I know the letter X represents the year, and a CX is better than a BX.... But what are the differences between the 48 and 55 CX? They're about the same price but obviously diff screen sizes, they both have all the HDMI 2.1 features etc, so how are they different?

Lastly..... What would you guys recommend for looking after the screen? Im aware these sets have some kind of cycle they do for the pixels, but i never had an oled so not sure how they work, is that something i do manually or is it auto?

Like i said im a gamer, and i also watch a fair few movies..... I know the risks associated with burn in on oleds, i think ill be ok, will have it hooked up to a 4k disc player, ps4 and my pc..... Only gaming and watching stuff on pc, i have a small 1080p screen ill use for general browsing like reddit, amazon and general stuff like that

Bonus question pc related....... IM looking at getting an rtx 3080 whenever stock magically appears.... My AVR doesn't have Earc or HDMI 2.1 but i do have atmos 5.1.4, would i be able to run HDMI from GPU to TV for picture and another to the AVR for audio only??

Sorry for long post and thanks for any response

mikej

Prominent Member
First and foremost, im thinking of buying from john lewis, pureky because the extended warranty states that it covers screen burn....... Does anybody have any experience with making a claim from john lewis extended warrant because of burn in? If yes, how did it go and was the burn caused by gaming??

The policy was only introduced earlier this year, so hasn't been around long enough for anyone to claim for that reason yet.

Secondly, I know the letter X represents the year, and a CX is better than a BX.... But what are the differences between the 48 and 55 CX? They're about the same price but obviously diff screen sizes, they both have all the HDMI 2.1 features etc, so how are they different?

The only difference between a 48" and a 55" CX is the screen size. The 48" sets are new for 2020 so are carrying a price premium at the moment which will explain why the two are a similar price.

Lastly..... What would you guys recommend for looking after the screen? Im aware these sets have some kind of cycle they do for the pixels, but i never had an oled so not sure how they work, is that something i do manually or is it auto?

You have to make sure you leave OLEDs in standby when you switch them off. A minor refresh cycle will run automatically if the TV has been on for a certain length of time in one sitting (usually around 4 hours) and a longer maintenance cycle (which takes around an hour) will run every 1000 hours.

numskull1980

Established Member
Thnks for the reply, interesting about the warranty, guess thats a risk ill have t take lol..... Regarding the 48 and 55 CX models, i noticed that the last letter of model number is different, but i dont know what that letter represents (if anything) and i always leave pretty much everything in standby anyway, cant be bothered to walk across the room and flick a switch.... thats why we have remotes in the first place

mikej

Prominent Member
I'm not an expert on LG TVs but I suspect the differences between those last few digits (eg. 6LA or 5LB) will be cosmetic (eg. stand colour) and the main TV specs should be identical. This post seems to back that up.

Some models can also be retailer-specific, with slightly different model numbers to prevent price matching.

Maybe ask in the CX Owner's thread for confirmation ?

shagaboopon

Prominent Member
The difference with the BX is mainly the video processor which means on any content not native 4k you'd in theory get better quality pictures on the CX models. In practical terms side by side with a 4k console, I'd doubt most could tell.

I'm looking at a TV to go with my new Xbox this year and I'd like the 48"CX but if the price doesn't drop to a more reasonable 1199 or 1099 I think I'll stick with the 55" BX. I'm sat less than 6' away though so would prefer the higher ppi of the smaller screen but I'm not paying a silly premium for it.

satfan54

Standard Member
I was going to buy an LG Oled back in February 2016 when my Pioneer KRP500 failed. The Oled was not in stock to take home so I bought a managers special LG 65UF950V for £999. I thought the time would be the right to buy an Oled when I was finished with the 950V. Now I do not want an Oled. Four years later screen burn is still an issue, and with most channels having logos today, I will not take the chance.
I am happy with the 950v. It has the same level of grayness in boarders that I see on reviews of most of todays 4K sets. Samsung may be the exception but I will never buy one.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom