1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So I swapped my 50" Panny for a 503MXE....

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RedRose, Jan 25, 2003.

1. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ....and I'm very pleased that I did.
    Some of you may remember just before Christmas I was unhappy with the buzzing and fan noises on the Panasonic 50inch "3 series" and that I was talking to my dealer about a swap. Well, the dealer kept his word and after trying a second Panny, which was just as noisy as the first one, they delivered a SILVER 503MXE. Result : SILENCE ! It was like night and day, and I now have more inputs than I can shake a stick at and a DVI socket. Nice! Mind you, if you go into Integrator mode and switch the fans on it's quite a different story (Blimey thy're loud), fortunately they've never come on since I got it two weeks ago.
    The picture is excellent and I am currently fiddling about with connecting my laptop to it via RS232 so I can alter the settings using some software I found on Pioneer's web site. This mean I won't have to go into Integrator mode to alter everything, so no on-screen menus to obscure the picture that I'm trying to improve.
    I've done the "snap in" on VGA using the images of 1 pixel wide stripes - it looks better than the Panny did.
    One other thing - it might be me but the quality of composite video signal from my Sky Sky box is possibly better than the RGB-Syncblaster set up that I use. It's softer and almost as clear. The video card must be pretty damned good.
    The only thing that's currently bothering me is the red-green edge effect on SOME TV programmes. It's not specific to a particular channel, e.g. on Eastenders the fleshtones are full of edges on medium-to-fast pans and movement, but on other programs it's fine. Same goes for other channels too.

Does altering the white balance have any effect of this, I heard that it can move the allocation of available shades up and down the colour gammut (hopefully into the fleshtone area); anyone know if this is true.

Next: get a digital effects box for about £100 to deal with the lipsync. The Zoom RFX1000 seems good for the price. You end up not using 95% of the effects, but after spending £5K+ I think it's worth it.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi RedRose,

I'm very pleased to hear how happy you are with your 503MXE. I'd love one but I've only got the space for a 433MXE, which I shall be ordering in March. I'm hoping that the new Key Digital card will be out by then so that I'll be able to use the SDI output on my new Pioneer 757Ai. I'm surprised that you find the Sky composite picture as good (or better) than RGB. I believe that the Key card has a feature to cure lip sync problems so hopefully I won't need any more boxes :p

Steve

3. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

I find myself in a similar position. I have had my Panny 5 series 50" since 3/1/03 and complained to Panasonic about the buzzing. As usual tech support gave the party line and I decided to live with it. Within a few days the panel failed (a part of the screen 25x300mm went black) and a new one was duly dispatched to replace it. I had hoped to get a quieter version, no way! This screen was significantly worse than the original. I have seen and heard quiet versions of this panel in a Panny store, so they do make quiet versions!!

I am now considering a swap for the Pioneer 50 either HDE or MXE, which was under consideration originally. I guess the difference between the MXE and HDE is the tuner and connectivity, with the panel being the same. Is this a correct assumption?

Any comments you care to make would be appreciated.

Regards BigH.

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi BigH,

Regarding HDE and MXE differences, the MXE has a slot to hold a (10 bit) video card whereas the HDE has all the (8 bit) video processing in the R03 media box. Of course, this makes the MXE upgradeable and reasonably future-proof. The MXE is also £800+ cheaper than the HDE, which would enable you to buy a very nice DVD player to go with it! ;) Hope this helps.

Steve

5. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was intrigued by CadMeister's Alesis box and was sorry I didn't see his FS ad in time, so I went off in a huff :D and got one in my local town. It's the Zoom RFX1000 that I mentioned. Guess what, it works! It cost £99 (not exactly a give away, Iknow) and it doesn't have digital readout like the alesis but it does have variable delay up to 1400mS. I've got it set to about 1/5 of the dial. It also does loads of DSP stuff but my Yamaha AX630 does that so I'll have to live with the waste of 95% of the functionality :rolleyes:
    I would recommend anyone to try one if they're being distracted by lip sync. Ask the dealer if he'll take it back if it doesn't satisfy you.
    It's cheaper than an upgrade to a Denon 3803 but it only serves one device; the DVD delay is nothing like as bad as Sky though, so I'll see how I get on.
    Funny story: I went into a "well known HiFi dealer" (not Richer Sounds) in Preston and asked if they had any AV amps with digital delay. The "expert" said "what's that?"
    I bade them good day.

Re. the buzzy Panasonics. I am forced to conclude that they buzz by design, ie the PSUs are not very good. The Pio is MILES quieter and, if you can stand the black levels (which are no way as bad as some people make out) then the Pio with its inouts, silence, PQ and upgradeability is the best choice.

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Key Digital Card should be out by then. It no longer has SDI input though but has gained a second DVI input. Key Digital are working on an SDI to DVI adaptor. Exactly how this will work has not been released. SDI is interlaced and DVI specs will not allow an interlaced SD signal. We'll see what transpires.

There willl be a pre-buy offer on card's and Leeza's early next week.

Without seeing the effect you are talking about I can't comment on whether white balance will help

Gordon

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    BigH

When you say 'Buzzing' do you mean Power Supply (PSU) Buzz over and above the Fan noise? - the 50" Panasonics have four fans that are active all of the time; so you should not hear any noise the PSU is making :)

The biggest complaint from Panasonic owners is that the 42" SD models dont have fans but can have noisy PSU's.

The Pioneer MXE's have two fans that only trigger if the display overheats (generally never) and they have near silent power supplies.

Best regards

Joe

8. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Joe,

this is definitely not the fans, they are not a problem. This is way louder than that!! I am currently in discussions with my supplier about resolving this issue. I will keep you posted when things develop.

Regards BigH

9. RedRose

RedRose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Swap it for a Pioneer. You shouldn't have to put up with that kind of grief for the money you spent. My flippin' fridge is quieter than my Panasonic was!