• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

so i need too update my bios

i am having no end of issues with bf3 , and from what i can gather i need to check i have the latest updated bios for my system.

they also have said there is a issue with the realtek sound drivers , but i dont use the realtek sound as my motherboard rampage 2 has Soundmax built in .

so firstly how can i go about updating my bios and secondly can i disable all the realtek drivers and rely on the soundmax drivers .

the only option i have heard everyone has fixed the freeze is to buy a seperate soundcard .
i dont want too buy a seperate soundcard .

Crisp89

Standard Member
so firstly how can i go about updating my bios

Do you know what motherboard you are using? You'll have to go to the manufacturers website and grab a newer release to update, you'll also need something like a formatted USB stick to fat32.

If you're having issues with BF3 and sound, I doubt a BIOS update will resolve your issue, have you tried just re-installing the sound driver?

Do you know what motherboard you are using? You'll have to go to the manufacturers website and grab a newer release to update, you'll also need something like a formatted USB stick to fat32.

If you're having issues with BF3 and sound, I doubt a BIOS update will resolve your issue, have you tried just re-installing the sound driver?

i have removed the old drivers and installed the lates ones .

bf3 just crashes , the speakers go Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr and i cannot ctrl alt delete or alt tab . only thing i can do is power down machine .

there is a massive thread on the origin site of people with same issues .
only thing that fixes it is disabling all sound drivers - game plays fine but no sound or a separate sound card .

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
It would really help if you posted your Motherboard model number.
Agree BIOS update is not normally the solution.
Sometimes it is best to un-install all the sound drivers and let windows install it's latest and stable version. Try to un-install the drivers completely and do a windows up-date, it should pick up the need for new drivers.
Also check you are up to date with Direct X 9, it is still often needed.
Link to this Download Download and Install DirectX9 End User Runtime | Install DirectX, DX9 from Official Microsoft Download Center and run, it will check everything out.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
It would really help if you posted your Motherboard model number.

Why have you got 4 instances of NVIDA HD audio drivers?
USB audio device? Is that part of a web cam of headphones?

Were do you derive sound from?
HDMI, optical or simple 3.5mm jack?

Last edited:
there really is no need to shout . i mean seriously

this is the motherboard
Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

the usb audio device is my headphones - turtle beach p11`s which i use on ps3 but have had to resort to using on bf3 as it works perfect when i disable onboard sound apart form usb audio .

i get sound from a 3.5mm jack going into a 2.1 speaker system .

i have no idea why there is 4 instances of nvidia hd audio , maybe its for the four different sound outputs on my gtx560 ?

if i disable all the sound devices apart form usb audio i can play bf3 all day and not a single crash .

but as soon as any of the other audio is enabled it will only play for 5-15 minutes before crashing not only the game but my entire system forcing me to power down and reboot .

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
According to Asus the latest sound driver for your PC assuming WIN7 64bit.

SoundMAX Audio Driver v6.10.2.6600 for Windows 64bit Vista & Windows 7(WHQL).

Looking at the BIOS's available through ASUS with Rampage II Gene 1701 BIOS being the latest I do not see any of them fixing your issue.

A BIOS upgrade should always be a last resort.

Suggest you remove/disable un-wanted sound drivers.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom