1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, I just bought my first projector (HS50)..

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tjobbins, Jan 5, 2005.

1. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am now the proud owner (well, proud waiter-for-deliveryer) of the Sony VPL-HS50!

Thanks to everyone for the great help and advice I've found in the short time I've been here.

Expected delivery time is about a week, so I have time to build my HTPC (Also ordered a NVidia 6800GT 256mb, Theatretek DVD software, hard drives for my server, quiet PC kit..)

I do have one final question (well, final for now.. :) ). Does anyone have any recommendations for type of screen for this projector? Not necessarily particular brands, but rather the type of material, Gain factor, etc. I will be using this is in my living room - off-white (maybe magnolia?) walls, white ceiling, light brown carpet. So reflection will be an issue - I will of course usually turn off all lights for movie watching, but sometimes I might need to have a dimmed uplighter on (next to me in my viewing position, behind the projector).

Also I only have blinds, no blackout curtains at the moment - so during the day some light will come in from behind the screen.

From the little I've learnt about screens, I gather a higher gain factor may be beneficial in this situation, so as to boost the brightness of the screen?

Thanks again for all your help!

Tom

PS. For those thinking of buying one, I've paid £1510 including VAT and delivery from Gultronics. They don't do a pixel check, but say I can return it within 7 days if not satisfied.

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    HS50 looks a very nice piece of kit :thumbsup: , I took a wallet leap from an EPSON TW10 which I nearly bought to the TX100 which I did buy, another 50% leap would have been a bit too much for my first foray into all this!

As for screen, can you clarify whether you are going the fixed or pull-down route?...PJ

3. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Haven't got one myself, but I've noticed some people commenting on the fact that it appears a bit dim during day. I think there have been some comments in past about putting lighting behind the screen giving perceived better contrast and maybe solving your lighting problem.

4. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to be a floor-standing retractable screen, i.e. one that rolls down into a case on the floor. This is because I'm in rented accomodation and am not sure my landlord will allow me to fix a screen to the ceiling, plus I am moving in around 6 months so don't want to install then move a screen.

One screen I'm interested in is the Widescreen Centre Homescreen (http://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/pdf/Homescreen.pdf) - it's pretty expensive, but got a good review in a Home Cinema magazine a few years back, and allows me the flexibility I need. However I think this is a gain 1.0 screen, and I don't know if I need more.

5. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    ive just ordered mine from gultronics as well m8, cant wait to get it. wouldnt tell me when it was def coming , did they say about a week to you

6. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup - they said they'd get a delivery in either Friday or Monday, and would call me as soon as they had.

I'm in London so I'm tempted to go to the store to pick it up as soon as they call :)

Will let you know if I hear any more from them.

7. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, and PJTX100 - I've now learnt that the Widesceen Centre Homescreen is actually gain 1.5. Now I'm worried that that might be too much :)

Any thoughts?

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think you'll be so happy with the HS50 you won't mind what you project it on! :thumbsup:
    I think 1.5 gain won't be an issue. A good projector deserves a good screen, but to be honest if I were you i wouldn't shell out this sort of money when in 6 months time you may be able to go for a cheaper and/or better option. The concept of not being allowed to drill 2 small holes seems strange, but there again I've never lived in a flat. If I were planning a temporary measure I'd get on over to Ikea and buy a 2m blackout (or more accurately whiteout) blind for under 30 quid and live with that for a while. Oh, and buy a small pot of filler just in case. ;) ..PJ

9. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments PJ - I certainly hope to be bowled over by the projector :)

Could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by getting a whiteout blind? Do you mean some kind of white screen, and project onto that? I did a quick search on ikea.com but couldn't really find anything that matched that description - not under keyword 'blind' anyway.

Even if I do buy a screen I will have to make something temporary to be going on with, as delivery looks to be about 3 weeks. I was thinking of a MDF board or something, painted white.

Just projecting onto a wall isn't an option for me, as I need the screen to be in front of the window in my living room (otherwise I can't put the projector far enough back).

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Yes, their site is :censored: isn't it? Have a look at

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...=7&langId=-20&catalogId=10101&productId=49066

It's the snappily named Tupplur Roller Blind. I've seen it mentioned before, both for using as an effective blackout blind (I just bought 2 in navy blue for my windows - work a treat) or a projection screen in white. Don't expect perfect flatness but judging by the ones I bought they are not bad. If you want cheap & very flat then I'd recommend 6mm MDF strengthened with batons - this is the way I went - comes in 8ft by 4 ft sheets (ask your local DIY shop) but they are heavy even at 6mm - best for a fixed installation, if you want something more convenient/discrete then the blind may suffice. Some people kill two birds with one stone by putting it over a window = screen and blackout all in one.

Good luck!...PJ

11. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    tj have you got your sony yet, ive had a missed delivery today. im pretty sure its the projector as im not waiting for anything else. heres hoing :)

12. Sporran

Sporran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    lo Malaria

Gultronics use City Link if that helps on the card that was left by courier ;)

13. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    oh yes thats very helpful , it looks good

thx m8

14. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So you got it, malariaboy? I wouldn't have thought they'd try to deliver on a Sunday?

I should have mine tomorrow - I rang on Friday and they had new stock in, and promised delivery for Monday.

Wish I'd thought ahead, I could have paid extra for Saturday delivery. Never mind, it gave me time over the weekend to build my HTPC :)

15. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    not got it m8 they didnt tell me they were in. i got in friday to find a missed delivery ticket . they will call back monday

16. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you get in the box when you buy an HS50? VGA cable? Component cable?

Paul

17. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

For some screen material, just go to your local fabric supplier and buy a length of blackout material. Get them to roll it up rather than fold it. You can purchase it as a 54inch width (or so) and use that as the 'height' of your screen. Make up a simple timber frame and fit the material onto it.

Brian.

18. Slartibart

Slartibart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just connected my HS50 + Pio 868avi+Pio Ax5aiS + Kef KHT 5005
    Only against a white emul wall .Cracking 100" image at 14ft. Very pleasing.
    Have connected using Hdmi looks great. What is the best way of connecting the scart of the sat box into the proj ?.
    David

19. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    just unpacked mine so will setup tomorrow , no cables in box m8 just power lead

20. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I'm down to a toss up between the Z3 and the HS50. I'm very tempted by the HS50, the only thing that is putting me off is the 1 year warranty.... surely Sony have more faith in their product?! I just think if Sanyo can give a 3 year warranty with the Z3, surely Sony can. Maybe I'm asking for too much!

also does anyone know if you can you ceiling mount the HS50?

21. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I think you make a good point, tick in the box for Sanyo. Fair to say though that most electrical goods have as standard a 1 yr warranty, not just PJ's and not just Sony.

If it didn't I'm sure you'd have seen this debated long and hard already! ;)

...PJ

22. tjobbins

tjobbins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my HS50 yesterday, tis all setup and working very nicely :) No dead pixels.

It's not perfect yet - am not yet happy with the colours - but still looks amazing. Half Life 2 and Far Cry are superb in wide screen :)

23. Dwayne Dibley

Dwayne Dibley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    cheers PJ, you're right what a daft question :rolleyes: :suicide: !!.....

24. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    will be trying my hs50 out via denon 3910 hdmi connection tonight ill post my opinions later. hoping to be gobsmacked as this is my first projector

25. malariaboy

malariaboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    well i setup the sony last night projecting on to a 7ft wide drh screen, fed 1080 hdmi from a denon 3910. Straight out of the box with no calibration i would have to say this is the best home cinema purchase ive made. i know its my first projector but myself and a friend who gave me a hand setting up were both very impressed. Ive been putting off getting a projector for the last 2 years and wish i had got one earlier now :).

anyway to sum up i dont think many people will be dissapointed with this projector if they get one. will post some screenies when i get calibrated