So I have WoW on a MacBook Pro

RastaMousey

Standard Member
Merry Christmas AV Forums!
I received my Macbook Pro 2011 '13 i5 ect today, just installed the WoW trial. I start playing and the back of the Macbook starts heating up and the fans are speeding away, how do I make it cooler? Thanks.

Note: I used my hans MSI Notebook with less than 1GB ram ect and it ran WoW with tiny lag, but no heat up.. It doesn't add up for me.

MooCow

Chox1988

Distinguished Member
I wouldnt turn the fans down, theyre heating up for a reason, probably doing their job by taking heat off critical components, if its a fault get it diagnosed as turning the fans down could be disastrous.

My mates macbook gets very hot and fans go wild when gaming so i dont think its uncommon

RastaMousey

Standard Member
SMC Fan Control isn't doing anything for me.. It's still going unto at least 90 degrees!

..El Nino..

Welcome to the world of macs, had two, Macbook pro and an Air, both feel like the centre of the earth after 20 minutes on anything remotely stressful, the Air for example you cannot watch a youtube video longer than two minutes without burning your legs or have one of the cpu cores shutdown, SMC did nothing. Its a common fault mate. There are stories of them reaching over 100c!!!

duncfunk

On SMC you can set the minimum rpm for the fans so you can crank them up yourself to cool it down. The default minimum is 2000rpm so you just create a profile with a minimum of 4000rpm for example. It also displays the temperature at the top of the screen. As said before though macs aren't great for gaming and get very hot.

PS Did you reboot after installing and creating a custom profile?

=adrian=

Merry Christmas AV Forums!
I received my Macbook Pro 2011 '13 i5 ect today, just installed the WoW trial. I start playing and the back of the Macbook starts heating up and the fans are speeding away, how do I make it cooler? Thanks.

Note: I used my hans MSI Notebook with less than 1GB ram ect and it ran WoW with tiny lag, but no heat up.. It doesn't add up for me.

Switch it off and get a PC :devil:

RastaMousey

Standard Member
On SMC you can set the minimum rpm for the fans so you can crank them up yourself to cool it down. The default minimum is 2000rpm so you just create a profile with a minimum of 4000rpm for example. It also displays the temperature at the top of the screen. As said before though macs aren't great for gaming and get very hot.

PS Did you reboot after installing and creating a custom profile?

Didn't work!

You are not going to get the same kind of help here as you would do if you asked the Mac forum about a PC hardware problem, so moving this thread to the Mac section (and changing the title slightly).

NewBeetle

Distinguished Member
Welcome to the world of macs, had two, Macbook pro and an Air, both feel like the centre of the earth after 20 minutes on anything remotely stressful, the Air for example you cannot watch a youtube video longer than two minutes without burning your legs or have one of the cpu cores shutdown, SMC did nothing. Its a common fault mate. There are stories of them reaching over 100c!!!

What a crock of ****. My macbook air doesn't even warm up enough for the fans to come on watching video on youtube.

RastaMousey

Standard Member
Guys, just posted on the Apple' Support Forum and they said that 90 degrees is nothing when it comes to the Mac. Thanks guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom