• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

So I Have Got My SkyHD Now Looking For a Hard drives

A

andyv3

So, I Have Got My SkyHD. Now im Looking For a bigger hard drive, 500gb to be exact, but does it have to be a 'WD5000AAKS' hard drive or can some one link me to a cheaper one or recommend one for my sky hd. Is there anyway of copying my programes from my old sky+ hard drive to the Thompson box?

Timh

Distinguished Member

You could try here for starters.
I am also interested in upgrading a 500GB but would attempt it myself if it were cheap enough to aquire a HD myself.
Not sure which one though.

A

andyv3

You could try here for starters.
I am also interested in upgrading a 500GB but would attempt it myself if it were cheap enough to aquire a HD myself.
Not sure which one though.

thanks for that but i have the tools (did a sky+ upgrade) i just need the hard drive

Timh

Distinguished Member

Timh

Distinguished Member
The drive from the Guide click

TheIain

Established Member
So see if i understand this.
I can place a 500 gig HDD straight in no formating and will work as normal.
But if i was to put a 750 gig HDD in i need to format it with Copy+

What if i did not want to copy recording off my original HDD just put a virgin drive in. Do's it still need to be run through Copy+

Jay53

Prominent Member
Yes.

Quirk of the size the Sky box is expecting means that it only formats drives itself correctly up to 509Gb. Any larger and you end up with far less. In the case of 750Gb drive it formats to just under 250GB. However the box works fine with the larger drive if its formatted to its full capacity using copy+

OuiOui

Established Member
So see if i understand this.
I can place a 500 gig HDD straight in no formating and will work as normal.
But if i was to put a 750 gig HDD in i need to format it with Copy+

What if i did not want to copy recording off my original HDD just put a virgin drive in. Do's it still need to be run through Copy+

Yes you still need to use Copy+ to fomat your drive if it's >500 GB because the Sky software can't format larger drives.

Can you hook up an external drive?

You can use an external drive but only by running a SATA or eSATA cable out from the internal drive socket because the external SATA socket is not enabled at the moment (maybe never will be).

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
I am currnently deciding what size of HDD to upgrade to.

I have a laptop so a 750gb would incur additional cost on top of the HDD to allow me to use Copy+ - but I will spend it if necessary.

I had a 160gb Sky+ unit which provided enough space for me when recording SD material. What size HDD would I need in my HD box to give me similar space again?

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
I am currnently deciding what size of HDD to upgrade to.

I have a laptop so a 750gb would incur additional cost on top of the HDD to allow me to use Copy+ - but I will spend it if necessary.

I had a 160gb Sky+ unit which provided enough space for me when recording SD material. What size HDD would I need in my HD box to give me similar space again?

I had a 160GB in my Sky+ box and have gone for 500GB in the SkyHD box, The Western Digital 500GB is the best buy at the moment and also it runs quieter than the standard drive if you run the Hitachi FTtool and set the acoustic management at its lowest setting.

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
I had a 160GB in my Sky+ box and have gone for 500GB in the SkyHD box, The Western Digital 500GB is the best buy at the moment and also it runs quieter than the standard drive if you run the Hitachi FTtool and set the acoustic management at its lowest setting.

Cheers for the response.

Have you already got it fitted? If so what % does a Sky One HD drama take up e.g. Bones, and any examples of HD films and a %?

Do I need to have a caddy to hook it up to my laptop to run FTtool?

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Cheers for the response.

Have you already got it fitted? If so what % does a Sky One HD drama take up e.g. Bones, and any examples of HD films and a %?

Do I need to have a caddy to hook it up to my laptop to run FTtool?

Yes got it fitted and been using it for a couple of weeks, a drama takes up about 2-3% and a HD movie about 5-6%.

I don't think you could do it using a caddy as you have to make a bootable floppy to boot the drive from ?

Scapegoat

Prominent Member
Yes got it fitted and been using it for a couple of weeks, a drama takes up about 2-3% and a HD movie about 5-6%.

I don't think you could do it using a caddy as you have to make a bootable floppy to boot the drive from ?

Thanks again.

So to use the acoutistic feature I have to load the HDD into a desktop PC? Hmmm - could be an issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom