So I finally cut loose

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, today I advertised and sold my Wii u, decided I had had enough, only played fast racing neo for a bit but although excellent it didn't grab me. Haven't played anything prior to that in a loooong time and don't think anything else takes my fancy. Can't be arsed to wait till I'm a grandad for the new Zelda game so that's me out of the Nintendo race. First Nintendo console I've sold and felt a bit sad if I'm honest. Looking at putting the money towards a ps4, fancy a bit of star wars, uncharted and fallout4.

So bye folks, I'll be sure to drop in from time to time :)

Thanks

Saf

I don't blame you Saf, what a sad state of affairs WiiU has been.
MK8 has been great as well a few others, but not much else has taken my fancy.
WiiU Zelda should of been out long before now instead of rehashing previous Zelda games.
My daughters currently got my WiiU and she only uses it for Netflix.
If I'm lucky I get to have the odd go of it now and then, downloaded Fast Racing but haven't really had much chance to play it much and I still haven't found an appropriate time to play ZombieU since I purchased it yonks ago.
TTFN [emoji106].

Last edited:
Sad to hear that but I can see why you did.
My real concern is that Nintendo will make the same mistakes on the nx, I'm going into the Wii u with my eyes open and a great back catalogue to play but I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to own one for a long time.

To be honest SAF, i've hardly been in these forums of late as there's been so little on the Wii U to tempt me. I do quite fancy Xenoblade Chronicles X, but i'm not sure whether I can invest the time in it, so haven't bothered so far. The PS4 is a great console (far superior to the Wii U in terms of capabilities and depth of the games catalogue now) so I don't blame you for choosing that path.

The ps4 is a really great console and if I'm honest I think it's the best that there has ever been.
It was a toss up between an extra ps4 or a Wii u but the idea of having the Nintendo back catalogue on the gamepad while the wife watched tv sounds amazing.
Still got the ps4 upstairs:)

but the idea of having the Nintendo back catalogue on the gamepad while the wife watched tv sounds amazing.

The only issue being, your idea of a back catalogue is completely different to what Nintendo provides in reality [emoji848].

The only issue being, your idea of a back catalogue is completely different to what Nintendo provides in reality [emoji848].

I'm mostly looking forward to the Wii u back catalogue, Mario 64, ocarina of time and super metroid are all an added bonus:)

I got my wii u day one back in November 2012 (or December), I knew it wouldn't be a huge seller but I didn't think it would be abandoned by all the 3rd parties so quickly. The whole EA partnership springs to mind! There's a good amount of great games to play for people wanting something cheap and cheerful, but there really isn't anything on the horizon now. I can understand why people either don't use or have sold theirs now. I've said all along that the wii u is what whe wii should have been to begin with.

I got a Wii U after about a year, maybe a bit sooner. Some of the news about it not being supported and fewer games was already bouncing about. I did assume that there would be more support. We only have the one console at a time, so the Wii is still in a cupboard and the Wii U is the family machine. With kids aged 3 and 6 it works well as there are plenty of games to choose from.

The only real issue is all the kids at school have a PS or an Xbob so I think we loose some street cred !!

Having owned an N64 & GameCube (still own both) I knew that there wouldn't be much 3rd party support & it'd be mostly Nintendo games I'd be buying.
Even without 3rd party support I have way, way more Wii U games than PS4 games at the moment.

I got a Wii U after about a year, maybe a bit sooner. Some of the news about it not being supported and fewer games was already bouncing about. I did assume that there would be more support. We only have the one console at a time, so the Wii is still in a cupboard and the Wii U is the family machine. With kids aged 3 and 6 it works well as there are plenty of games to choose from.

The only real issue is all the kids at school have a PS or an Xbob so I think we loose some street cred !!
Yeah, my son is all PS4 and was on my PS4 so much that I got him one of his own. I've got an xbox 1, which I play on a fair bit (as well as the PS4), but my daughter (who is now 6) has loved playing on the Wii U for the last few years. I'll often come into the living room and she will be crashed out on the sofa, with the Wii U game plan playing Mario Kart, Mario Maker or Fast Racing Neo.

Thing is, the Wii U is a great kids console. It's almost the perfect design in fact. It's issue is that you can't play the latest COD, FIFA, Battlefield, SW Battlefront etc. on the Wii U these days.

The console needed to : -

- be Higher powered (at least a roughly equivalent power to the XB1/PS4)
- be far better marketed (people just thought that it was a Wii add on initially)
- have more of a 3rd party focus

The gamepad was a great idea IMO, but you will always struggle when devs have to develop something especially for it. The PS4 may struggle with its VR system if people don't buy in sufficiently at the start as games will need to be coded specifically for it. I guess the good thing with PSVR is that there's Occulus Rift on the PC and the PS4 already has a great user base to sell to. Virtual Reality is also something that they can really hype and sell to people (like Nintendo did with the Wii Motion controls), where as the Gamepad wasn't exciting in that way.

I actually feel that the Wii U has been one of Nintendo's best consoles in many respects. The online is the best it has been, the gamepad is a great portal to control the console through, off screen play is a great feature and it also delivers some (albeit sadly too few) unique gameplay experiences. It was just never going to compete against the likes of the PS4 and XB1 this gen and whilst they felt that they didn't really need to, in reality it's one big marketplace out there and they do.

I still say they need to rediscover whatever it is they got so right with the snes. That is and always will be the best console for me.

I still say they need to rediscover whatever it is they got so right with the snes. That is and always will be the best console for me.

It was a straightforward design, the most powerful on the market and had great third-party support.
Everything we've been saying Nintendo need to do again.
They seem to be trying too hard to reinvent the wheel when nobody wants them to.
Its a real shame.

Hey guys good to see all the replies and thanks for the advice/opinions/comments. To be honest it wasnt an easy decision to make to sell up, I've always been a huge huge nintendo fan, most guys who know me on here know how I've always backed nintendo and been a staunch supporter of theirs. Bought the snes back when it was released and have bought every single nintendo home console on launch day since then.

I bought the wii u on launch day, was one of only 3 people at our local Game for the midnight launch of the wii u lol the other 100 or so were waiting to buy Call of Duty i think it was that released at the same time! Have always remained optimisitc with the wii u but I fear that the best it has to offer has been with only zelda on the horizon that interests me. The last year or so maybe more my wii u has been sat there doing nothing and I've quickly realised that I just dont have the interest in all of nintendo's franchises anymore to keep me invested. Mario Kart 8 was the only mario game I kept on my U, i sold the others as they just didnt grab me. I've lost interest in smash bros, mario party, mario tennis and even the 3D platform games in fact the only nintendo games i'm interested in now are zelda and metroid, but sadly metroid doesnt seem to be making an appearance and zelda just seems to be an age away after looking forward to a release date.

Some might be thinking that a nintendo console isnt for me and sadly you're probably right but it hasnt always been that way, I never bought and xbox or a ps1 and 2, was quite content with my N64gamecube even though 3rd party support wasnt amazing it was still a hell of a lot better than what we got with the wii u. Nintendo has forced themselves into that position and alienated themselves from everyone but their hardest of fans. I agree 100% with @gingerone, they've been trying to reinvent the wheel when they havent needed to and in doing so have distanced themselves further and further from the majority of gamers. There were some good moments with the U with best being the time spent with ZombiU, hands down my favourite game on the wii u and favourite game for a long time. Ironically thats says it all for me about the wii u, the fact that the best game for me was one that wasnt even made by nintendo and it took a third party to get the best out of the gamepad, something that even nintendo hasnt managed to do.

Hope to be back at some point once a new HD Metroid is released!!

Saf

I think it's speaks volumes about how out of touch Nintendo are with their long standing fans when people like you have had enough.
I absolutely love Nintendo but it's immensely frustrating to see the decions they are making.
They can still do the things they are doing but they need to give the fans what they want.
I would love the nx to be powerful enough an easy enough to develop for that third parties get on board.
I also want the franchise's I love that appeal to the older core gamers such as metroid, f zero and a sequel to Mario 64 not new super Mario.

^ absolutely mate. If they make the nx easy to understand and easy to develop for as well as a powerful machine they may be part way there but I think Nintendo have burnt some bridges along the way and soured some relations with third party developers for which they need to start making themselves look attractive again. Thing is right now, third party devs have pretty much zero incentive to make games for Nintendo, they already have an established user base with pc gaming, sony and microsoft and the 'casual market' that the wii tapped into has moved on to mobile gaming. So Nintendo find themselves in an awkward position where they have their hard core fans still there but need to entice third party devs back by sweetly negotiating whatever deals they can with them around the table and make themselves look like an attractive proposition again. My fear is though that Nintendo are and have been a proud company so being flexible and 'bending' probably isnt in their nature which will make it difficult to mend relations with third parties.

Times have changed, there was a time when sega and nintendo where the two powerhouses and as a third party dev you were almost grateful that your game was released on a nintendo or sega platform, they (third parties) needed Nintendo/Sega but now its the other way round. game developers are now huge and have so much power as they hold the games and franchise they make. companies like EA, Ubisoft, Capcom, Rockstar etc... now have the luxury of choosing which platform they will develop for and can make or break those platforms with what they decide to do. This we have seen with the Wii u. If Nintendo werent in profit as a business and werent so good at making 'their games' they would have also done a sega a long while ago. Sega couldnt hold on as their own franchises werent as strong as Nintendo's (amongst other things), Nintendo is holding on but if things keep on like this then surely its just a matter of time before they eat into their profits.

Nintendo havent really changed with the times coupled with the fact they find themselves relasing their consoles a year or so infront of the others which makes for a very strange half a gen console life cycle.

i really do hope that nintendo can become the force they used to be but they need to modernise and keep up with what people want rather than what they think they want.

Saf

I also want the franchise's I love that appeal to the older core gamers such as metroid, f zero and a sequel to Mario 64 not new super Mario.
In case you don't know, don't miss out on Mario 3D World. It's a Mario 64 style Mario title.

In case you don't know, don't miss out on Mario 3D World. It's a Mario 64 style Mario title.

Yes that true but, and i dont know if anyone else found this, but I didnt get that sense of freedom playing mario 3d world that i did playing mario 64. With 3d world there was a definite beginning and end to a level coupled with the isometric-ish camera angle. With Mario 64 you could rotate the camera freely 360 around you and seemingly go wherever you wanted to. Each level felt like a little world that you could explore at your convenience. I downloaded it again on VC and still it was a joy to run around the castle grounds and the first bobomb level is just awesome. Didnt get that with mario 3d world though....it might be me lol!

I really liked Mario 3D World but you're right, it's more 2.5D like Mario 3D land on the 3DS. It is the only 3D Mario game which has a proper multiplayer coop mode though, which is great fun for the whole family, & not having to wait your turn.

I still think Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the absolute pinnacle of 3D platformers. They're both just amazing games.

I really liked Mario 3D World but you're right, it's more 2.5D like Mario 3D land on the 3DS. It is the only 3D Mario game which has a proper multiplayer coop mode though, which is great fun for the whole family, & not having to wait your turn.

I still think Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are the absolute pinnacle of 3D platformers. They're both just amazing games.

Yes its that 2.5d feel that puts me off, I will buy it but Mario 64 is still the best Mario I've played and fans have been vocal about wanting more of the same for a long time

Yes its that 2.5d feel that puts me off, I will buy it but Mario 64 is still the best Mario I've played and fans have been vocal about wanting more of the same for a long time
You'll be wanting Mario Galaxy 1& 2 if you haven't played them before. They're even better than Mario 64!

Threads like this one make me sad, it's like overhearing the bullies at school saying why your child is such a loser.

However, there is no denying the truths being written: Nintendo's insistence that their machine doesn't need to be as accessibly powerful as the Sony/MS offerings, the fact that the console actually is capable of wonderful graphics (MK8, Xenoblade) but is not easy to code for, the woeful marketing, 3rd party devs jumping ship early doors due to poor hardware sales...

I think people are on the money when they say Nintendo is just too arrogant/inflexible/proud/stuck in its ways to look inwardly and see how they have to adapt. The SNES was, for me, the pinnacle of home consoles. Yes, there have been many, many great times had on newer machines, Goldeneye and M64, the Zelda and Mario Galaxy games on Wii, and just how many hours have I ploughed into MK8?? But, I am like the high maintenance girlfriend who wants it all; I want the best in-house Nintendo games and franchises, AND I want to see the killer third party titles as well. It would be great to see GTA or the latest COD on Wii U, with off-TV play. I don't have the time to justify owning more than one console per generation these days, plus Nintendo is very much in my DNA after almost 30 years of Nintendo home console and portable gaming, so I will undoubtedly be drawn to the NX when it launches. Given a straight choice, I want Nintendo's software all day long.

Fingers crossed Zelda is a launch day release, plus another M64 or Galaxy-style Mario platformer, but that would suggest Nintendo have learned from past errors and we all know they have form for the opposite.

Rant over :D

o
Fingers crossed Zelda is a launch day release,
Of course Zelda will be a launch day title, there'll be a few of them [emoji6]
Links Crossbow Training NX
Skyward Sword NX
Twilight Princess NX
A proper Zelda will undoubtedly arrive within the last year of NX's lifecycle!!

Last edited:
Of course Zelda will be a launch day title, they'll be a few of them [emoji6]
Skyward Sword NX
Twilight Princess NX

Wheres the 'agree and funny' button? Lol your post deserves both I reckon! :)

Of course Zelda will be a launch day title, they'll be a few of them [emoji6]
Skyward Sword NX
Twilight Princess NX

I wish I could laugh but there is a strong possibility you are right :(

The latest video from AVForums

Sony BRAVIA 9 Mini LED TV: The Best HDR TV EVER?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom