So I can't get freeview, right?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Mr109, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

In a effort to stop funding Murdoch I want rid of Sky.

I bought a freeview box (daewoo) from Tescos to see if I can get freeview, I get one channel (cbbies) and a splattering of radio stations. Signal strenght and Quality are registered as 69.

Is there anything I can do?

Normal analogue reception is pretty poor as well.

And I want to buy an LCD telly soon.

Regards

Al

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    What did the postcode checker tell you?
    It's probably a case of living in a DTT area but your aerial just isn't upto the job, considering the long term nature of DTT it's wortwhile investing in a good aerial serving a number of rooms just to future proof yourself.
    If your analogue reception is poor as well then it may be that the FTA and FTV channels via Dsat are the best option.

LCD requires a very good source to work from, I would not consider that expense without the best analogue and very good digital reception.

3. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Postcode checker on the freeview site said it was a no go. But there was another link I got from here that said I could get most of the channels.

Muxes received: 1 2 A B C
    Compass bearing: 154°
    Distance: 24 kilometres
    Aerial group: E/W Horizontal
    Aerial elevation: 398 metres

Of the main channels only 18-20 are marked as unavailable from Sutton. Would a new ariel sort it out?

Freeview Sat it will have to be for now then. Do you think the main channels BBC1/2 look ok through an LCD?

Regards

Al

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You might get some benefit form talking to a local installer, he/she would know the exact coverage in your locale and be able to advise.

A few months ago I wouldn't have touched LCD for television but having used my LCD monitor being fed s-video and in tandom with the PC application DScaler I would say you should have few worries. However LCD should be demonstrated to your satisfaction with the source you are going to use the most, there are huge swing in performance between generations/manufacturers/models etc.
    Worth popping into the LCD forum as well and reading a few posts on particular favorites and opinions in general:)

5. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you can get cbeebies it means you are getting MuxB and you should be able to receive all other multiplexes with your aerial type except MuxD and at just 24km away you should be able to get a lot more than just MuxB. I live at least 40km from Sutton Coldfield, and was told by the postcode checker that I shouldn't be able to receive Freeview, yet can pick up all except Mux D, but I did have to buy a booster box to improve my signal (couldn't get anything before I put in the booster). The reason that most people can't get Mux D from Sutton Coldfield is that it is outside the aerial group that most people use to pick up their analogue channels from Sutton.

An aerial upgrade may improve your reception and will allow you to also receive MuxD too. If you can live without MuxD though, I'd chance getting a signal booster first and try that, then if that doesn't work get someone in to install a new aerial for you. It's also worth noting that some Freeview boxes handle poor signals better than others. I couldn't give examples, but you can find out which with some research on Google.

Hope you get it going!

6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    See here for a qualified local installer.

7. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gents,

Thanks for all the replies. Took the box round to my folks this am whilst dropping of small pink thingy.

The report for them is:

Muxes received: 1
    Compass bearing: 150°
    Distance: 32 kilometres
    Aerial group: E/W Horizontal
    Aerial elevation: 398 metres

Somewhat worse than mine, they got practically all the channels. Only channel five was ropey. They have been told a thousand times they can't receive freeview, but are now ordering one of those nice sony boxes.

I think I'll be talking to a local installer today and we'll see where we go from there. I have a plug-in booster so will try that, forgot I had it last night.

On the LCD topic, I have read all the posts in the LCD forum. It seems there is no deffinative answer, I was looking at the Philips 32....86 as it seems (from reading here) to handle poorer signals better. I would be viewing from 2.5-3m and really only care about bbc1-2, C4 and occaisonally ITV.

Thanks for all help so far.

Regards

Al

8. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you mean Channel 5 analogue, it will be because that comes from Litchfield, not Sutton Coldfield.

9. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,035
    I'm in a similar boat to yourself. I have Sky+ in the lounge but also wanted to get digital TV in the dining room. Even though I have a Sky cable run to the room and a spare digibox I didn't want to pay £10 per month for a mirror subscription. I got a professional arial fitter round but found out even with a £150 arial I cannot get freeview. At the time Sky had stopped offering their free to view cards.

However, the Sky Freesat service is now up dand running. Its £20 for a decryption card that they guarantee will work for at least 3 years. Ordered mine a couple of days ago but haven't tried it out yet.

10. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Mr109,

Although the Freeview Coverage checker says I should receive all the channels from Sutton Coldfield (8miles away) I find that due to high trees at the back of my house, the signal is not very good and I can't get all the channels, even though I spent £150 on an aerial upgrade

But from now on there is the alternative of Sky Freesat. You can order it now - ordered mine yesterday.

For a one off payment of £150 you get the Sky box, satellite dish, installation and a viewing card. You do not have to have the box connected to a phone line either.

I hope this proves more cost effective than the aerial upgrade and may be the route to go for those who do not want to pay a subscrition to Sky.

Good luck

11. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    Just had a look at Sky's site & can't see anything about this. Do you have a link or phone number?

12. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi crocodile,

You won't find anything on the sky.com website (perhaps they want it to be a secret)
    The site you want is www.freesatfromsky.com You can order by ringing
    0870 606 1111

That's how I bought mine.
    They'll do it there and then.

You can either order the complete system for £150 or just the Viewing Card for £20.

Should also be available from Comet, Hughes etc form today

Hope this helps

13. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    Cheers T.

£20 card option is available direct from Sky only, the retailers only take orders for the full package. I've just ordered a card.

14. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yeah we already have SKY, if we cancel our subscription will we need the £20 card?

I wanted freeview for the improved quality really, but looks like it will be a no go. Not paying £150 for a new arial though.

Regards

Al

15. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Mr109,

Sorry, I can't answer your question with any certainty, but I would think you might have to cancel your Sky subscription and then buy a £20 card from www.freesatfromsky.com to use in your existing equipment. I would ring Sky and ask them, alternatively try ringing freesat on 0870 606 1111
    Apparently you can always elect to take out a new Sky subscription if you wish at a later date. So you can keep your options open.

16. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Thanks.

Al

17. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Mr109,

Hope you get sorted with this Freesat thing but you implied earlier that the picture quality from Sky would not be as good as that from Freeview.

This has concerned me and now I don't whether I am doing the right thing by going for Freesat from Sky.

Perhaps, I should stick with the reduced number of channels I get on Freeview and save the £150

18. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm basing this on the number of threads I've seen complaining about the quality of Sky on LCD's.

After seeing the quality of Freeview this morning at my folks house it definately looks better.

Do you miss the channels you can't get?

I'd be happy with a sprinkling of quality channels than the dirth of Sh"£te sky pushes.

I'm hoping that with a booster I can get more freeview channels. I will feedback with progress.

Regards

Al

19. PLASMABABBY

PLASMABABBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Mr109

Quite frankly I do not really miss the Channels I can't get, except perhaps UKHistory and SkyTravel, Sky News is also rubbish reception.

I'm changing because of the poor reception rather than the missing channels.
    To be on the safe side I shall keep the Freeview Box and if I'm not happy with Sky Freesat I shall cancel the order within 8 days after installation as their Terms and Conditions allow.

This piece of info might be of help to you - you can try it. Have a look at the Terms and Conditions on www.freesatfromsky.com website.

20. Mr109

Mr109
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Well when I took the box home and tried it again, still no booster (didn't have enough of the right cables), the reception was pretty good on the channels the box had tuned to at my folks house.

Dad brought another arial cable and I used the booster, it didn't make any difference to the picture quality (which was still below Sky). It could however tune to all nearly all the channels when set-up (but not BBC1/2).

I have been able to talk to someone else from the same village as me, they have crap signals as well. We do have Cannock Chase between us and sutton though.

Incidentally on analogue Channel 5 (Lichfield) is a superb picture, are there any plans to upgrade all transmitters to digital?

Regards

Al

21. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    Assuming good reception/signal conditions, then the PQ from Freeview (terrestrial) is better than that of most (or all?) of the FTA Channels on satellite. Higher bandwidth/less compression is used for Freeview, so less pixellation.

22. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    Don't know if this helps anyone but I received my FreeSat card yesterday. Can't help with LCD but on my 32" Tosh I can see no obvious difference between DSat on a Panasonic Digibox & Freeview on an old Nokia (ex OnDigital) box. Both are very good & much better than analogue.

23. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I had one on loan until I had the CAM upgrade - not a match for my TV tuner or the Pace Twin after its first upgrade!

Borrow say a Sony 800 or a Netgem and see what that is like!

24. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,957
    You're not making any sense. Had what on loan? What are you tring to say?