so how much would i need to spend?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi all,

after moving from full surround to 2:1 i'm now looking at keeping music and tv/movies separate...

since i moved i've been using my quad solus, Z1 speakers ..and gemini sub..for music ..and via the tv's optical for
2:1 tv

long story short it would suit me to now have a soundbar (for my non arc panny plasma) for tv and movies

so first question .. being non arc connecting the tv optical to the soundbar's optical will give me whatevers on the tv through the soundbar right?

secondly.....though i'm not expecting Z1 performance i would like half decent sound

...also sub options.... i'll probably use the gemini with my quads...so either be looking at an included sub if needed...or something with a normal 'sub input' for either adding the gemini...or an option for adding later.

also i would want to wall mount it

so as i know nothing about or even listened to any soundbars i was wondering what sort of price range stuff i should be looking at to get half decent performance ....dont want to spend big bucks but also assuming all these 250 quid jobs would probably be a waste of time

also any recommendations ( sonos is the only thing that immediately springs to mind...or a yamaha) would be great....

cheers

chenks

so first question .. being non arc connecting the tv optical to the soundbar's optical will give me whatevers on the tv through the soundbar right?

optical will limit you in terms of audio formats.
you said tv and movies. for movies are you talking about bluray content with TrueHD Atmos and/or DTS-HD ? you'd need HDMI for that.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
thanks ...

no i've really simplified my set up.used to use physical discs ...and play mkv's via a hp prolient/mede8er

now it's mostly freesat via sky and netflix....occasionally get the mede8er out as it's got a built in hard drive

...was hoping i could just optical out from the tv ..like my current stereo set up and just get whatever is on the TV outputting half decent from the soundbar

my left speaker is quite close to a door ...and where as most of the time its fine.... i've started to be on edge every time my 'clumsy' eldest walks passed it !

plus just having a wall mounted tv with wall mounted soundbar under it would free up some floor space.

chenks

The optical cable supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS audio. HDMI supports not only 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS audio but also Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X.

so if you're only planning for 5.1 audio then optical will be fine.
DD+ is most common on streaming services such as Netflix though, which optical may have issues with.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
optical will limit you in terms of audio formats.
you said tv and movies. for movies are you talking about bluray content with TrueHD Atmos and/or DTS-HD ? you'd need HDMI for that.

The optical cable supports 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS audio. HDMI supports not only 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS audio but also Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X.

so if you're only planning for 5.1 audio then optical will be fine.
DD+ is most common on streaming services such as Netflix though, which optical may have issues with.
thanks

yeah i did think that was the case

any recommendations ?

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Another what soundbar should I get type thread dies a death.

Seems to be a lot of soundbar owners around but every help post I've seen for recommendations rarely gets an answer .

But weird for the forum

keithwiggins

Anyone any views.
hi all,

after moving from full surround to 2:1 i'm now looking at keeping music and tv/movies separate...

since i moved i've been using my quad solus, Z1 speakers ..and gemini sub..for music ..and via the tv's optical for
2:1 tv

long story short it would suit me to now have a soundbar (for my non arc panny plasma) for tv and movies

secondly.....though i'm not expecting Z1 performance i would like half decent sound

...also sub options.... i'll probably use the gemini with my quads...so either be looking at an included sub if needed...or something with a normal 'sub input' for either adding the gemini...or an option for adding later.

also i would want to wall mount it

so as i know nothing about or even listened to any soundbars i was wondering what sort of price range stuff i should be looking at to get half decent performance ....dont want to spend big bucks but also assuming all these 250 quid jobs would probably be a waste of time

also any recommendations ( sonos is the only thing that immediately springs to mind...or a yamaha) would be great....

cheers
if you value sq above pseudo effects look at a Dali Kubik one, great clarity and dynamics, optical inputs plus bluethooth sub output should you need it.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
thanks for the reply

did look at that...but at this stage it was a bit more than i wanted to spend taking a punt

did get a yamaha 207 and wireless sub on a deal at peter tyson....
...bar on its own didnt sound much better than my tv speakers...to be fair my old panny plasma's speakers are a lot better than a lot of newer flat screens

adding the sub was miles better ...sounded alright for the 260 quid ...but i thought it had a sub out so i could add my bk gemini which i wanted to use as i have it connected to my quad amp already.

...did'nt want 2 subs in the room...so i sent it back and swapped it for a open box music cast 40 which had a good review on here. for an extra 20 quid ..and has the sub out

again not great on it's own ...a bit better than the 207 as it has a built in sub of some sort..and the build quality is a bit better with metal instead of a cloth grill

adding gemini was again miles better so been using it for a day or 2 with that

just got an extra long sub cable so will most likely stick with it

the only thing with the music cast is the app....had a right time of it trying to connect to my router ...and i'm using my quad for music..and streaming so only needed it for the adjustments which are a bit tucked away
the 207 only has blutooth so the app for that control is a lot more straight forward and easy to set up

if i didnt need the sub out i would have stuck with 270 and its wireless sub,...stuck 'fury' on via netflix for a test and ended up watching it all so sound could'nt have been that bad

peter tyson currently have the 270 on sale with an extra 30 quid off for a limited time so makes it £269.99 i think

not heard the competition but i thought it sounded alright

Last edited:

zubeir

Do you mean the YAS207?
Yamaha make good soundbars and subs, it's a good price at Peter Tyson. If you want a soundbar with good speech separation then try to aim for a 3.1 soundbar.

zubeir

You also have a much more flexible option of LG SL6Y 3.1 soundbar for £269.99 from Sonic direct, but you request a pricematch from John Lewis. Has Optical, HDMI and Bluetooth. Can expand in the future and pair with some LG wireless surround speakers. Supports Dolby Digital, DTS, high res audio and so on..

Last edited:

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Yeah sorry ..meant the 207

With the music cast you can add their wireless rears and sub...

Downsized all my gear so wanted to keep it simple...the Yamahas do have a voice enhancement thing...only turned it on once and did notice a very subtle change in the sound

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom