• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

So how much gigs of music do you have

Brendetta

Standard Member
I have around 10gb

Since recently getting the 8gb ipod 3g. I have started to build my music collection. All my albums now have been tagged to my liking with album art (using mp3tag), I just filled my 8gb ipod and the coverflow looks wicked as I have around 100 albums on it.

I wouldn't mind the ipod touch just so I can look at the cover flow but I'm happy with my 3g for now as its my first mp3 player. I guess as my music collection builds over the years I will get a new mp3 player.

juglandblues

Established Member
I have 74Gb of music in my itunes. Most are CD's i have ripped to apple lossless though.

Got a spanking new 160GB classic from santa to fill up aswell :thumbsup:

Broosta

Established Member
Just over 80GB and thats mostly downloaded stuff, I've yet to get stuck into ripping my cd collection to flac.

RGP

Established Member
About 49GB here.

Brendetta

Standard Member
wow you guys have TONS of music. Explain to me about flac and lossless. Plus do you guys back up your music on external hard drives etc I'd hate to loose music if I had that much.

With my music I just make sure its mp3 and not any other file format. I don't change the bit rate quality for my music unless its under 80kbps. Any under 80kbps I noticed a loss in quality but anything over 80kbps I don't notice any difference in sound quality. Most of my music seems to be 192kbps though.

waynertron

Established Member
I would think the play-time is more relevant?

iTunes says: 1559 items, 9.2 days, 11.17GB.

(30 genres, 233 artists, 245 albums) roughly ;)

W.

daveb975

Distinguished Member
I have got about 90GB, which equates to just under 40 days playing time. I have still got quite a few albums to go on there, though!)

amcluesent

Distinguished Member
Just filled my first 750Gb drive...:smashin:

Just thinking about a 2Tb NAS as I have 2000 CD not yet ripped :eek:

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
I have around 20GB - although it all depends on what compression rates people are using which depends on how many tracks that equates to!

KJ Palmer

Established Member
Lossless(for audio) compression system that doesn't lose any of the original audio information (unlike MP3,WMA, Ogg or ATRAC) hence the sound quality on playback should be the same as the original CD etc.

Examples are FLAC or Apple's lossless, but as not that many systems can play back lossless files natively (well, none of mine) , and you typically get about 50% original file size reduction, I'm keeping my lossless files in Wav format for now.

Broosta

Established Member
Just filled my first 750Gb drive...:smashin:

Just thinking about a 2Tb NAS as I have 2000 CD not yet ripped :eek:
Yeah! Think you win! :smashin:
Storage is so cheap now and will only continue to become more so, and this is why I am so bemused by all the small drive mp3 players out there now. Ok solid state is really getting pushed now but surely its a hassle sorting out which 16GB of music you want with you and what you should leave behind.
Also I don't think its about how long it would take to listen to all your tunes, its about always having the right tune for the moment - i.e. having any tune for any moment has got to be the ultimate goal surely.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom