So, how long before plasma is no more?

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So plasmas on death row, how long do we have? Panasonic made a huge investment just what two years ago? Will plasma be around long enough for OLED to become an actual option for those with not so deep pockets? Or are we looking at LCD being the only real option for a few years.shudder.

So plasmas on death row, how long do we have? Panasonic made a huge investment just what two years ago? Will plasma be around long enough for OLED to become an actual option for those with not so deep pockets? Or are we looking at LCD being the only real option for a few years.shudder.

According to avjunkie at another forum, Panasonic has no intentions of ditching plasma just yet. Also, plasma has been on death row for the past ten years or something, so this will just be speculations. The ST50 has turned out to be a rather popular tv this year, and several places report long waiting times to get one... so I'd not panic just yet :)

Scooby2000 said:

God forbid LCD will be the only option for a few years :rolleyes:

In my opinion and if i had my way lol... you wouldn't be able to buy LCD's any bigger than 26".

And only then for PC monitors lol.

I don't know how Panasonic are going to juggle OLED and plasma to be honest.

On one hand they were really starting to really get somewhere with their consumer plasma tech, apart from a few fatal flaws it has to be said. But what do they do with their next generation of plasma ?.

With the impending release of their first gen OLED panel, do they risk making it so 'perfect' and so black that at the price it would make people think twice about buying the OLED that IS going to cost (so much more).

Or do they just keep it much the same as the VT50 but iron out the issues that has plagued this generation plasma ?.

I personally dearly wish that plasma could keep going - Panasonic especially.

I expect plasma to live on for a few years yet in the larger screen sizes (60+) until oled reaches an affordable level.
Also the sharp elite proved you can make a good led however most are the cheaper edge lit models with all those associated problems

Also many in the US claim an elite matches/ beats a kuro so there is no reason to believe that LED cant improve further and fill the gap if plasma does disappear. My only concern with that is the reluctance of companies to produce a full array led panel in favour of the cheaper edge lit

According to Phil I think it was, the Elite still has flaws, it is afterall still an LCD. I hear as good as it is, due to the usual draw backs it can't compete with the best of plasma IMO.

According to Phil I think it was, the Elite still has flaws, it is afterall still an LCD. I hear as good as it is, due to the usual draw backs it can't compete with the best of plasma IMO.

Luckily none of the plasmas has annoying flaws!

Luckily none of the plasmas has annoying flaws!

Exactly
I'm really happy with my 65ST50 but it isn't perfect
Luckily i can't see any bands or image retention but at the same time line bleed is there and Panasonic has still not eliminated false contouring
As with all things you decide what traits of each different tech you can put up with

One plamsa dies off, I'll invest in a decent PJ setup.

reddevil74 said:
Also many in the US claim an elite matches/ beats a kuro so there is no reason to believe that LED cant improve further and fill the gap if plasma does disappear. My only concern with that is the reluctance of companies to produce a full array led panel in favour of the cheaper edge lit

In what way ?

Ansi contrast - no

Motion - no

Colour - no, especially cyan.

Bloomimg no matter how slight - yes

Apart from brightness levels there is never in a month of sundays that LCD will ever rival plasma, nevermind better it.

And when all said and done plasma can be made to go up to at least 50FTL with calibration and external processors, which is bright enough for anyone in a bright room (or at least should be).

Don't get me wrong I'm a plasma guy myself - i have never owned an LCD as my main screen . However I'm not biased enough to say never - who knows what could happen in next couple of years - even this year at the shoot out over the pond there was hardly a massive gap between the elite and vt.

Cost will rule a lot out, displays have got cheaper not better for the last 5 years.... The VX300 is pretty good but still looses out to the P50xha58EBb absolutely sublime screen shame they never did a 65" for everyday image plasma still beats LCD, and for people who watch TV most LCDs are step backwards from the best CRTs.....

I'm a dinosaur.........but a happy one

reddevil74 said:
Don't get me wrong I'm a plasma guy myself - i have never owned an LCD as my main screen . However I'm not biased enough to say never - who knows what could happen in next couple of years - even this year at the shoot out over the pond there was hardly a massive gap between the elite and vt.

I know what you are saying. But the elite, as far as true movie enthusiasts are concerned is still an LCD. And can't really compete with plasma for it's filmic motion. LCD will always look that bit false and is inherent in the technology, regardless of any motion trickery imo.

The VT pisses all over it from an enthusiasts point of view, and not only because of motion or a more correct color gamut, but plenty imo.

And if there were only these two screens in the world i would pick the VT50 all day long - banding & image retention and whatever else or not.

Be far easier to live with than plasticky false looking LCD.

If plasma was no more and i couldn't afford a first gen OLED (which i couldn't). Then painfully i would have to choose a high end Sammy local dimming LED, as we can't even get the Elite in this country, only a watered down version.

I'm not actually disagreeing with you as I feel the same. My only point is that if the elite was voted the best HDTV last year (beating the vt30) by respected calibrators then there is the possibility that in another couple of years they could improve further don't you think?

Personally it will prob be a moot point as full array will be deemed too expensive to manufacture so only choice will be a cloudy edge lit led

I reckon the landscape will be something like:

Low end = edge lit led
High end = oled
Large 60+ = plasma/projector

As soon as OLED offers better quality for less money than plasma at the same size, plasma gets a bullet to the back of the head. Until then, it keeps going.

No one yet know's how black oled will yet be. Can't see it being 0mll in the first generation but you never know. And unless someone has money to burn and just HAS to buy the new tech then well...

Off axis viewing could be an issue - like all LCD's :blush:

And if that is the case and can't be sorted even in later generations then even when i can afford one i won't ever be buying one.

So it will have to be a larger plasma then which i don't even want. I have always sat as close as possible to a screen - so anything over 55" will be a nono for me imo

Maybe crystal LED might save the day if oled turns out not to be all that. And (plasma is put down like an unwanted - but extremely healthy dog, in other words it would be very sad).

No one yet know's how black oled will yet be. Can't see it being 0mll in the first generation but you never know. And unless someone has money to burn and just HAS to buy the new tech then well...

Off axis viewing could be an issue - like all LCD's :blush:

And if that is the case and can't be sorted even in later generations then even when i can afford one i won't ever be buying one.

So it will have to be a larger plasma then which i don't even want. I have always sat as close as possible to a screen - so anything over 55" will be a nono for me imo

OLED isn't an LCD;)

I know its inevitable that this would start a LCD plasma spat but that's not my intention.
Neither tech are perfect and both have flaws, it just happens I and others don't like LED flaws and they will NOT go away, both tech have limitations...hmm limitations sounds better than faults.

The Elite may well be the best ever LCD and be extremely impressive BUT its an LCD, to mention this negatively isn't having a go, its just saying it has LCDs limitations in some areas plasma doesn't, areas plasma owners rate as important.

Im more interested in OLEDs effect on plasma production. As has been posted, can a company crest two rival technologies without being biased to one.
Will Sony develop the CLED? CLED vs OLED the new rivals? How long can plasma survive before the inevitable?

LCD will have its day in the end too, the only thing stopping it is the market size and cost of production... Though, if people continue going bigger LCD may struggle too. Maybe plasma will die and then return.

I think plasma will be around for a few years yet,can remember reading that oled tech was going to be next best panel technology that was back in 2003:eek:so it has taken 9 years to start producing the larger sized screens and the prices of these imo will never be affordable as mainstream consumer units just a premier product for a small market.
If you look at the price/size ratio of tvs in the last 2yrs this will make oled even harder to sell to the public.
Bring on the 4k plasmas:thumbsup:

Regards Martin

Scooby2000 said:
Sorry your comment on viewing angles, guess you must mean the Elite.

Yes the crystal led does sound interesting.

With my view i was going by with what ******** mentioned a month or so back that OLED may have viewing angle issues or words to that effect. It was on a kuro thread i think but cant remember which one tbh

Yes the crystal led does sound interesting.

With my view i was going by with what ******** mentioned a month or so back that OLED may have viewing angle issues or words to that effect. It was on a kuro thread i think but cant remember which one tbh

Maybe LG's with the RGB layer? The Samsung's will be RGB OLEDs so per pixel like plasma I believe.

Phil's wee bit on the Sony CLED had me intrigued, sadly only a prototype so prob be another 5years, if at all.:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom