So, how long before plasma is no more?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Scooby2000, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    So plasmas on death row, how long do we have? Panasonic made a huge investment just what two years ago? Will plasma be around long enough for OLED to become an actual option for those with not so deep pockets? Or are we looking at LCD being the only real option for a few years.shudder.

2. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    According to avjunkie at another forum, Panasonic has no intentions of ditching plasma just yet. Also, plasma has been on death row for the past ten years or something, so this will just be speculations. The ST50 has turned out to be a rather popular tv this year, and several places report long waiting times to get one... so I'd not panic just yet :)

3. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    God forbid LCD will be the only option for a few years :rolleyes:

In my opinion and if i had my way lol... you wouldn't be able to buy LCD's any bigger than 26".

And only then for PC monitors lol.

I don't know how Panasonic are going to juggle OLED and plasma to be honest.

On one hand they were really starting to really get somewhere with their consumer plasma tech, apart from a few fatal flaws it has to be said. But what do they do with their next generation of plasma ?.

With the impending release of their first gen OLED panel, do they risk making it so 'perfect' and so black that at the price it would make people think twice about buying the OLED that IS going to cost (so much more).

Or do they just keep it much the same as the VT50 but iron out the issues that has plagued this generation plasma ?.

I personally dearly wish that plasma could keep going - Panasonic especially.

4. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I expect plasma to live on for a few years yet in the larger screen sizes (60+) until oled reaches an affordable level.
    Also the sharp elite proved you can make a good led however most are the cheaper edge lit models with all those associated problems

5. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Also many in the US claim an elite matches/ beats a kuro so there is no reason to believe that LED cant improve further and fill the gap if plasma does disappear. My only concern with that is the reluctance of companies to produce a full array led panel in favour of the cheaper edge lit

6. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    According to Phil I think it was, the Elite still has flaws, it is afterall still an LCD. I hear as good as it is, due to the usual draw backs it can't compete with the best of plasma IMO.

7. slc79

slc79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Luckily none of the plasmas has annoying flaws!

8. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Exactly
    I'm really happy with my 65ST50 but it isn't perfect
    Luckily i can't see any bands or image retention but at the same time line bleed is there and Panasonic has still not eliminated false contouring
    As with all things you decide what traits of each different tech you can put up with

9. Mose

Mose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    One plamsa dies off, I'll invest in a decent PJ setup.

10. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    In what way ?

Ansi contrast - no

Motion - no

Colour - no, especially cyan.

Bloomimg no matter how slight - yes

11. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Apart from brightness levels there is never in a month of sundays that LCD will ever rival plasma, nevermind better it.

And when all said and done plasma can be made to go up to at least 50FTL with calibration and external processors, which is bright enough for anyone in a bright room (or at least should be).

12. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Don't get me wrong I'm a plasma guy myself - i have never owned an LCD as my main screen . However I'm not biased enough to say never - who knows what could happen in next couple of years - even this year at the shoot out over the pond there was hardly a massive gap between the elite and vt.

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Cost will rule a lot out, displays have got cheaper not better for the last 5 years.... The VX300 is pretty good but still looses out to the P50xha58EBb absolutely sublime screen shame they never did a 65" for everyday image plasma still beats LCD, and for people who watch TV most LCDs are step backwards from the best CRTs.....

I'm a dinosaur.........but a happy one

14. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I know what you are saying. But the elite, as far as true movie enthusiasts are concerned is still an LCD. And can't really compete with plasma for it's filmic motion. LCD will always look that bit false and is inherent in the technology, regardless of any motion trickery imo.

The VT pisses all over it from an enthusiasts point of view, and not only because of motion or a more correct color gamut, but plenty imo.

And if there were only these two screens in the world i would pick the VT50 all day long - banding & image retention and whatever else or not.

Be far easier to live with than plasticky false looking LCD.

If plasma was no more and i couldn't afford a first gen OLED (which i couldn't). Then painfully i would have to choose a high end Sammy local dimming LED, as we can't even get the Elite in this country, only a watered down version.

15. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I'm not actually disagreeing with you as I feel the same. My only point is that if the elite was voted the best HDTV last year (beating the vt30) by respected calibrators then there is the possibility that in another couple of years they could improve further don't you think?

Personally it will prob be a moot point as full array will be deemed too expensive to manufacture so only choice will be a cloudy edge lit led

I reckon the landscape will be something like:

Low end = edge lit led
    High end = oled
    Large 60+ = plasma/projector

16. johngerard

johngerard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    As soon as OLED offers better quality for less money than plasma at the same size, plasma gets a bullet to the back of the head. Until then, it keeps going.

17. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    No one yet know's how black oled will yet be. Can't see it being 0mll in the first generation but you never know. And unless someone has money to burn and just HAS to buy the new tech then well...

Off axis viewing could be an issue - like all LCD's :blush:

And if that is the case and can't be sorted even in later generations then even when i can afford one i won't ever be buying one.

So it will have to be a larger plasma then which i don't even want. I have always sat as close as possible to a screen - so anything over 55" will be a nono for me imo

18. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Maybe crystal LED might save the day if oled turns out not to be all that. And (plasma is put down like an unwanted - but extremely healthy dog, in other words it would be very sad).

19. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    OLED isn't an LCD;)

20. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    What are tou talking about Scooby ?...

I never said it was, :confused:

21. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    I know its inevitable that this would start a LCD plasma spat but that's not my intention.
    Neither tech are perfect and both have flaws, it just happens I and others don't like LED flaws and they will NOT go away, both tech have limitations...hmm limitations sounds better than faults.

The Elite may well be the best ever LCD and be extremely impressive BUT its an LCD, to mention this negatively isn't having a go, its just saying it has LCDs limitations in some areas plasma doesn't, areas plasma owners rate as important.

Im more interested in OLEDs effect on plasma production. As has been posted, can a company crest two rival technologies without being biased to one.
    Will Sony develop the CLED? CLED vs OLED the new rivals? How long can plasma survive before the inevitable?

LCD will have its day in the end too, the only thing stopping it is the market size and cost of production... Though, if people continue going bigger LCD may struggle too. Maybe plasma will die and then return.

22. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Sorry your comment on viewing angles, guess you must mean the Elite.

23. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +591
    I think plasma will be around for a few years yet,can remember reading that oled tech was going to be next best panel technology that was back in 2003:eek:so it has taken 9 years to start producing the larger sized screens and the prices of these imo will never be affordable as mainstream consumer units just a premier product for a small market.
    If you look at the price/size ratio of tvs in the last 2yrs this will make oled even harder to sell to the public.
    Bring on the 4k plasmas:thumbsup:

Regards Martin

24. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Yes the crystal led does sound interesting.

With my view i was going by with what ******** mentioned a month or so back that OLED may have viewing angle issues or words to that effect. It was on a kuro thread i think but cant remember which one tbh

25. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Maybe LG's with the RGB layer? The Samsung's will be RGB OLEDs so per pixel like plasma I believe.

Phil's wee bit on the Sony CLED had me intrigued, sadly only a prototype so prob be another 5years, if at all.:rolleyes:

26. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Wonder what issues OLED may have upon release ?.

Can't imagine it being perfect out the gate.

Tbh i haven't read up an awful lot about it. As i have been secretly hoping plasma will carry on - but carry on improving - not just stuck in limbo because manufacturers have to spend the big money on OLED R&D.

To make sure the performance goes at least someway to justifying the huge first and probably second generation prices.

Interesting that Sony & Panasonic are joining forces for OLED though eh, will most "probably" drive overhead costs right down so it becomes "cheaper" for consumers faster.

But you get the feeling that CLED may be the ace up the sleeve, but like you say, probably not for years yet. :thumbsdown:

Wonder if we would be looking at first gen OLED prices if it ever does go into mass production ?.

But anyway that is all a long way off, just like OLED will be to become properly refined surley - will it ?.

Can you see plasma getting improved any further... If manufacturers are going to try and punt OLED out big style, for about four times the initial cost for say a 55" plasma display or whatever ?

27. fluxo

fluxo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,304
    It's easy to fixate on quality, but as far as most normal businesses go
    It's profit that matters. The facts are that Panasonic is losing billions
    and their plasma sales are falling much faster than their LCD sales. I
    think that's one reason why Panasonic chose to bring out larger LCDs
    this year. You have to ask whether Panasonic will be willing to make a
    serious future investment in PDP technology when OLED is around the
    corner and their plasma sales are plummeting.

I'd say they'lll bring out PDP models next year, since this year has seen
    a major upgrade to their panel tech, and they'll want to get the most
    out of that investment (plus they have no next-gen manufacturing
    capability yet). But next year? Who knows!

Ah, armchair theorizing :--)

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Plasma prices have have fallen 90% in 10 years........... on top of improving.....The drive isn't to go flat anymore as it was 10 years ago it is to make cheaper lower energy displays, The EU/US market is saturated with displays, static population growth means replacements only really we have already gone from most houses having 1-2 TV's to most having far more already. The big growth markets (what manufacturers look at) are China, India and Africa.........

Matsush*ta and Toray invested massively in plants to make plasma far more than any other, Samsung invested in LCD as did others while keeping a foot in the plasma market.....

50" PW5 was £7500............. in 2002 in 2012 TX-P50XT50B Plasma is £700!

29. reddevil74

reddevil74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    But what if the likes of panasonic decide the profit margin on plasma is not worth it anymore. I'm sure they would just love to sell us all big oled at twice the price.

Also I find it strange that I am sticking up for led as I'm not really a fan at the moment - however I do think there is a little snobbery on here - my point still stands,if an elite is considered by many to be better than a vt30 in 2011 then who can really say an led couldn't beat the level of a vt50 inside the next couple of years if so desired

30. stucarblne

stucarblne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Indeed.

But OLED (won't) be so much better than where plasma is up to now. Pioneer doesn't count because their plasma business is long gone. So invariably they will compare/compete with Panasonic plasma as they are the best plasma manufacturer currently available.

So how much better is this OLED going to be over an GT or VT ?. And i can't help thinking but obviously could be wrong, that they can't risk such an expensive product being beaten by their old tech. As anyone with half a brain will buy the superior product regardless of price (even if it is cheaper).

Panasonic were really just starting to get somewhere with their consumer plasmas - and now comes OLED, who needs it.

Four times or whatever the price lol... not a hope in hell it will be four times better though.