So how exactly are cinemas going to reopen?

You know, I'm sure cinemas aren't aware how much and how massive free parking is an attraction to going to them is and a customer spending spending their hard earned only on the picture and not the car park.

Unsure what you mean but the cinema doesn't have it's own car park and is on a main road. There is a multi story car park next door for a shopping centre, and they will stamp your ticket, so it's an added bonus that's all. Saves having to walk half a mile to nearest free road parking :smashin:

Nothing yet on my Cineworld website about times or movies.

Thats our fave chain. Manchester Printworks is closer, but theres no free parking and it actually costs more than the price of a ticket. So we go to Ashton where there is. And lots of places to eat on the same complex as well. So its a no brainer for us. Its a good night out. Film, food, home, with no hassle whatsoever. :thumbsup:

Oh we don't have to go through that validation shit. We just park in front of the cinema. :rotfl:

We could, but as above, it's on a main road, which will make it a quite costly experience :eek:

Yeah but as I don't live in Ireland, I live in Manchester, England. Free parking where we go. :thumbsup:

Were they sat next to each other, shoulder to shoulder?

When I went to the barbers last week the queue was outside on chairs that were a metre apart. Barbers were wearing masks but they didn’t ask us to. Some customers did, some didn’t.

That’s fine if cinemas are separating members of a group but I thought the idea was that they can sit in adjacent seats.

Cheers,

Nigel
You wouldn’t be sitting next to people in cinema either.

Last edited:
You wouldn’t be sitting next to people in cinema either.

One of us is misunderstanding then.

I thought the idea is that if you booked as a group then you would be sat in adjacent seats?

Is that correct or not?

If it is then that is only compliant with the current separation rules if they are all from the same household (or possibly two households).

My issue is that the cinema will let a group of six people from different households book as a group and sit in adjacent seats - so not complying with the separation rules.

Also the cinema will not require them to wear face coverings and it will allow them to sit 1m from me - so also not complying with the separation rules.

The cinema will wash their hands of the responsibility saying it is up to the customers to comply with the rules but they can’t enforce them. Which is understandable, except that the cinema is allocating seating, they are telling people where they must sit. If I go to the cinema and see that I am sat 1m from a group that I strongly suspect are not a household and are not wearing face coverings I can’t choose to observe the proper separation rules and sit at least 2m from them, I must sit in the seat that the cinema has allocated - or I can leave, or go and ask to be moved - but why should I be the one that has to compromise. Not so bad if I am on pay as you go, I can ask for a refund and leave but if I have restarted my Unlimited I’m paying even if I leave.

Cheers,

Nigel

Face coverings, or masks, are not compulsory, so why would the cinema force people to wear them and lose out on potential income ?
You have to book your own seat online only, the cinema does not allocate seating. If the cinema is half full, and you can't find suitable seating, book at another time when there is more space. The cinema cannot afford to have 1 or 2 people only booked for a showing, during these times of need.

I got a reply from Omniplex this morning

Reading back, I think your referring to the seats that have a bit of a rocking motion to them rather than actual recliners that let you put your feet up? The rocking chairs are comfortable enough but I don't think I could handle sitting in one for 4+ hours at a time, especially given the lack of leg room.

Hi, just back from enjoying The Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers at our MAXX and no way could I have sat that long in a rocking chair. Below is a couple photos to show the comfort of the recliners, and with no masks or snacks and only about 10 people in, it made it a great return back to the cinema. Tempted to book tomorrow off work for Return of the King, but could wait til next week if no Inception.
Recliner1.jpgRecliner2.jpg

Hi, just back from enjoying The Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers at our MAXX and no way could I have sat that long in a rocking chair. Below is a couple photos to show the comfort of the recliners, and with no masks or snacks and only about 10 people in, it made it a great return back to the cinema. Tempted to book tomorrow off work for Return of the King, but could wait til next week if no Inception.
View attachment 1341737View attachment 1341738
The Odeon up the road from me has similar Luxe recliners but for some reason remains closed 😭

Milton Keynes Odeon is open but don’t fancy 3.5 hours in those crummy old seats, especially as my osteopath still hasn’t reopened their clinic.

Wish they’d bring back the intermission so customers could stretch their legs plus it’d give staff an opportunity to air the auditorium out.

The Odeon up the road from me has similar Luxe recliners but for some reason remains closed 😭

Milton Keynes Odeon is open but don’t fancy 3.5 hours in those crummy old seats, especially as my osteopath still hasn’t reopened their clinic.

Wish they’d bring back the intermission so customers could stretch their legs plus it’d give staff an opportunity to air the auditorium out.

The best part of having seen it before was knowing when you could take a toilet break and not miss anything important. I definitely wouldn't chance over 3.5 hours in a normal seat. Once you try the recliners, you never go back, except for a real special film only on somewhere else.

The best part of having seen it before was knowing when you could take a toilet break and not miss anything important. I definitely wouldn't chance over 3.5 hours in a normal seat. Once you try the recliners, you never go back, except for a real special film only on somewhere else.
Yup, I might’ve risked it if the Gallery seating at MK Odeon was available as those pleather seats are next best thing but that section remains closed.

1595968185087.jpeg

Meanwhile the brand new Luxe recliners just a few minutes walk from me have been gathering dust since lockdown began, even though the row spacing seems much better suited to social distancing :confused:

75CA5398-19B1-405E-8C91-74A7793FAC7B.jpeg

Not sure whether it is a mistake but Cineworld have started taking bookings today and there is no sign of the new social distanced seating plan. Every single seat is available for booking.

8DA52399-615A-4D94-949B-40D3DE043A8E.jpeg

Cheers,

Nigel

No clue tbh I only found out as I picked the second seat in and it told me I could not
Isn’t that just their old algorithm that won’t let you book a seat which just leaves one empty seat to the side. That has always been the case - annoying at times.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think people were expecting to see huge swathes of seats that could not be selected when they got to that point in the booking, but I think it's the case that it's dynamically done, which is more flexible in terms of the people booking first. So, with my booking for Batman Begins IMAX (where I got my usual seat :thumbsup:), I would expect that no-one would now be able to book the two seats next to me (I'm on the aisle). This seems fair to me and is certainly in line with my experiences of booking seats at Odeon and Curzon recently.

It still shows the seats as available - are you saying that the software won’t let you book seats next to other bookings even though it shows them as selectable?

Cheers,

Nigel

Just tried it, it does allow you.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom