So how exactly are cinemas going to reopen?

Foster

Distinguished Member
Book seats next to other parties?

If so, that's not good.

Cheers,

Nigel
Yup, it allowed me to continue when I selected the seat next to someone.

alphaomega16

Distinguished Member
Yup, it allowed me to continue when I selected the seat next to someone.
Are you sure you were sitting next to someone though, I was told that is displayed also if seats are broke or reserved in case something happens with one of the others.

They could be making them unavailable by marking them as booked but people generally sit wherever they want anyway.

PlexShaw

Just had an email through from Vue saying that one of their sites I've been to in the recent past (Westfield) is re-opening from next Friday (7 August).

nheather

Distinguished Member
Are you sure you were sitting next to someone though, I was told that is displayed also if seats are broke or reserved in case something happens with one of the others.

They could be making them unavailable by marking them as booked but people generally sit wherever they want anyway.
Tried it yesterday and found it inconsistent from screen to screen at the same cinema. Some were allowing you to sit directly next to other bookings some were enforcing a two seat gap.

But in all cases you can book directly behind or directly in front.

A case of the virus can only move sideways - as opposed to queues where the virus can only move backwards and forwards.

Personally I would say front and back separation is more important because that is the most likely direction of liquid molecules from coughing, sneezing, screaming or laughing.

On facebook, Cineworld are saying that they are following the government’s 1 metre separation guidelines - which don’t exist.

Cheers,

Nigel

VisionMan

On facebook, Cineworld are saying that they are following the government’s 1 metre separation guidelines - which don’t exist.
No, they don't. Its 2 metres and always has been. It's only 1 metre+ where 2 metres isn't possible. Which in a cinema is.

nheather

Distinguished Member
No, they don't. Its 2 metres and always has been. It's only 1 metre+ where 2 metres isn't possible. Which in a cinema is.
And many people, including cinemas have been misunderstanding the ‘plus’.

It doesn’t mean ‘at least’ as in ‘at least one metre’ it means ‘plus another form of protection’ such as face coverings.

So cinemas should have been doing 2m, or if they could justify that is not possible, a minimum of 1m plus face coverings.

Anyway, all moot now, the face coverings are to become compulsary.

Cheers,

Nigel

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
When I was in odeon on Sunday, the only people in masks were the staff. In the foyer area, not a single person was wearing one. There were no signs up either. Was slightly surprised tbh.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Back to the cinema tonight for my 2nd visit since lockdown.

Cheeky Showcase are back to full price now (was £5 all tickets before) so numbers must be rising.

[email protected] £5 for old movies. Full price for new movies.

Last edited:

nheather

Distinguished Member
I watched Flash Gordon yesterday and kept my mask on throughout the showing. Obviously less comfortable than without one, but it wasn't a real problem.

Cheers,

Nigel

nheather

Distinguished Member
They were indeed saying it on their Facebook page. It was in response to them allowing you to book directly in front or directly behind other customers, whether that is even 1m separation in some screens is questionable but it certainly isn't 2m.

The Cineworld response was that it was okay because it is inline with the government's recommended 1m separation.

I do agree that Cineworld are enforcing a 2 seat gap left and right but they have no controls front and back.

Cheers,

Nigel

MrMatt49

Standard Member
Been to 3 showings so far (Empire Strikes Back, Harry Potter 1 and Unhinged) and not had more than 6 people in any.

Staff and patrons here have all been superb so far, Unhinged today saw all viewers wear masks throughout despite it not being mandatory until tomorrow.

We had someone sit almost directly behind us in HP. We got up and moved a couple rows down. As it is now, not a big deal, the auditorium was huge and space was plentiful. I could moan about them sitting right next to where I had booked, but honestly, I reckon this is an absolute golden time to visit the cinema. Having the chance to old favourites on the big screen along with incredibly low attendance - I say make the most of it. I feel much safer in Cineworld than I do in the supermarket.

I'll be making the most of it and I would urge others to do the same before we either get locked down again, or the crowds return.

VisionMan

I've just recieved an email from Cineworld. Face masks are now mandatory in the cinema. But they are still selling food and drinks. Rather difficult...

Foster

Distinguished Member
I've just recieved an email from Cineworld. Face masks are now mandatory in the cinema. But they are still selling food and drinks. Rather difficult...
It does say you can remove them if you are eating, so assuming you put it back on afterwards.