1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so how does the 1400/2400 work with 9.2?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cameronl, Sep 22, 2004.

1. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi there, I'm looking to replace my aging yam 630 with a processer. I'm considering using one of the new range of av receivers to do this, as well as power the back channels. I have an arcam for the preamp stereo duties and a A52 power amp for 5 channels. Room eq is important to me.

So, how do I go about getting 9.2 out of the mid range yamahas?

.2 I assume is from 2 sub outputs. I can use my A52 to power the front 3 and 2 surrounds. Now, can I use the yamahas own power channels for the back 2 and the 2 presense or only the back 2? If i latter add a 2 channel poweramp can I use that for the front 2 presence speakers?

And lastly, what are the differences between the 1400 and 2400 - specificaly the processor side (and room eq??) as my A52 makes a great poweramp.

I'm only interested in home cinema, games and very ocassional sports on cable tv for the processer.

thanks

CaM

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I'm actually in the same boat as you, I have a yammy 630 that I'd like to move into my bedroom as my existing dvd player is moving up their as well. I am looking at both the 1400 and the 2400 as a replacement. Reading through the manuals it seems that they are nearly identical, both have the same inputs, outputs, THX select processing, power supply, weight and so on.

The main differences that I can see are:

1) The 2400 outputs 10 watts RMS per channel more than the 1400

2) The 2400 has three extra DACs for a total of 10 while the 1400 has 7

IMO these are very small differences for £150 price difference.

From what I can see there is only one sub output on the 1400 and 2400, you would need to chain the subs.

This is what it says in the manual for both the 1400 and the 2400 about the presence speakers:

You can connect both surround back and presence speakers to this unit, but they do not output sound simultaneously.
    • The surround back speakers output the surround back channel included in Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES software and only
    operate when the Dolby Digital EX or DTS ES decoder is turned on.
    • The presence speakers output ambient effects created by the DSP sound fields. They do not output sound when other sound fields
    are selected.

3. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    the manual confuses me as well! I think (and I'm not 100 percent sure on this) that the yamaha 2400 powers the presense and a poweramp would be required to power the 2 surround backs thus giving 9.1 with 1 external 2 channel poweramp.

I don't think the 1400 can do this?

CaM

4. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    ok, i'm wrong (I talked to there tech department) - the 2400 can't do 9.1 :)

CaM

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Well, I've been through both manuals again, and as it reads the L&R phonos for the surround/presence output flip between surround/presence depending on what DSP mode you are using. This is the same behavour as the presence and back surround speaker terminals.

So, it looks like its a limit of the DSP more than anything, and it applies to both the 1400 and 2400.

6. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    sorry, was slowly typing my response before I saw your latest one.

7. ehayde

ehayde
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) wotcha Cameron - Yammy tech dept quite right. my system is bi-wired to all available speaker 0/p. The beauty of this is choice, depending on your mood, available material (Cd,DVD,TV,Sat,Radio,S-VHS,cassette),and the materials coding - you can get the yammy to sing. It has so many useful dsp's, plus the added bonus of latest firmware (DD5.1 EX, DTS-ES, DD-PL11x_etc). the max achievable is 7.1 (or 7.2 in my set up, daisy chained subs x2) - try opening DTS sequence of Saving Private Ryan - yeeehaa.
    Just taken some digi pics of my home cinema set up - can anyone tell me how to get to the "my kit pics" section on this forum please - I would love to get some feedback from you guys on my labours so far. :thumbsup:

8. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    oh well, I'm after 9.2 so I guess i'll have to get the Halo C2 afterall.....or maybe the upcoming Yamaha 3500.

CaM

9. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am going to be using a Yammy 1500 to drive a 6.1 main room setup.

Now:

I want to put two ceiling speakers in the kitchen to listen to the movie or to music while hanging around there.

I am relatively new to AV so the Yamaha presence and Zone2,3 confuse me

Please bear with me and connect me if I am wrong on the following assumptions:

1. If I am running a 6.1 in the main room I have one amplified channel left? Can i get this surround back speaker to output the same as a center speaker so I would be able to keep track of the movie while in the kitchen lets say?

2. If I connect a pair of ceiling speakers to the B port I am only gonna be able to enjoy them while not using the A speakers?

3.Totally confused bout the presence speakers please explain.

10. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hook up the speakers to the B speaker terminals, then depress the speaker select button for the B speaker channels and you will be able to listen to the same source as whats on the main speakers at the same time. I'll restate that: you can use the a and b speaker terminals at the same time, the only limitation on the 1400 is that it must be for the same source as whats being output on the main speakers.

Use the presence speaker terminals if you want to bi-amp your front speakers (I got a real benefit doing this for stereo sources with my 1400) or if you want to output a different source via the speakers in your kitchen - this is selectable via the record source knob on the front.

Note: this applies to the 1400 and 2400, you should double check this for the 1500/2500 but I'm fairly sure that this would not have changed for the worse on the new amps.

11. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Are you sure this is what you did? :confused: Im sure the presence speakers only put out sounds from the DSP sound sources and not stereo sources. Did you mean you used the A+B channels on the yamaha? If you did this you have only bi-wired as the Yamaha is still only using the same amp to drive both channels(I think). I got better results using my Rotel rb981 to drive the LFE on my Evo's:smashin:

12. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    yup thats what I meant, its a poorly worded statement, try this:

you will have to use the presence speaker terminals if you want to bi-amp your front speakers with the A&B terminals.

I'd implied earlier that you use the B terminals for bi-amping, and hoped that people would follow this through.

appologies for not making it clear.

13. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    So 6.1 in the main room

I'm not sure I understand correctly:

-If I use B terminals to bi-amp the main speakers and have 6.1 with bi-amped fronts. In order to output to a second room use Presence terminals which are powered and can output from a different source while 6.1 is playing a movie in the main room?!

-If I dont use the B terminals for bi-amping then I can use them to power speakers in another room but output the same sound as the A terminals. (just A, just B and A+B) options available.

surely then the Yamaha is a 9.1 or if presence channels are taken into account 11.1??

14. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    just downloaded the 1400 manual in pdf from and it states in smallprint that the Presence terminals can be used as zone 2 only for the USA and Canada models?!

15. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I also believe the 1400 can only output the same in zone a and b while the 2400 can output 2 sources in different zones. Please also remember you cant use the presence and rear channels at the same time:( Only the flagship Z9 can do that.

16. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1500:Zone 2 Speaker Out and Amplifier Assignment, and Zone 3 Volume

2500:Zone 2 / Presence Speaker Out (Powerer Assignment) and Zone 3 Volume

whatever that means...