So how do you listen to yours?

shodan

Distinguished Member
Not so much what equipment do you use, but how do you listen?
Speakers or headphones?
What's the source?
NAS, Stream or vinyl?
Phone to earphones?

I've got several options, including FLAC on my computer to avr via hdmi. This sounds best.
Spotify or Amazon Prime Music from computer, HEOS AVR or even the TV to the AVR via ARC.
I also can use headphones to the computer or the avr or my phone and use a small usb-c dac for that.

Generally it comes down to convenience vs what quality is acceptable at that moment.
Sometimes it has to be FLAC and speakers or FLAC and headphones and sometimes it can just be Spotify from TV to avr and speakers...
The possibilities are endless!

What's your preferred method?

gibbsy

I like relaxing and listening to the speakers but headphones are also very important to me, especially with Strictly on the horizon. For late night listening, the missus does go to bed fairly early because she gets tired with her heart condition, headphones are pretty essential.

I would say I listen more on headphones than speakers and the headphones are very analytical, you hear everything good and bad.

I don't stream so my sources are stereo SACD and CDs from my Denon SACD player, Rega amp and KEF speakers. Multi channel SACD, DVD-A or Blu ray audio is a Pioneer UD player, Denon receiver with Rega amp driving the front left and right speakers.

Headphones use is normally the Denon SACD player, Lehmann headphone amp and Oppo PM1 or Shure 1540 headphones.

I don't know why but I have this vision in my head of a Staffie trying to drag headphones from your head. :)

oscroft

It's mostly LP on an upgraded Planar 3 for me, or FLAC/MP3 from a Mac Mini into M-DAC, all into my main Audiolab system. I play music during the day most days while I'm working - I work at home in my study/cave/playroom.

I don't do Spotify or any of those streaming things, and I don't do music on phones. But I do sometimes take an iPod with me when I'm out walking, using back-of-the-neck (or whatever they're called) Seinheisser phones.

I don't have an AV setup, and almost never even watch TV.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
As a wonderfully single fellow I only have myself to please...

So it’s itunes from the Mac into a dac/pre (currently an Anthem MRX), into my active Adams and bliss.

Spotify from the same source too sometimes. And assuming a good recording initially, Spotify can indeed sound good enough.

I do wish I could get the hang of enjoying headphones, but even after decades of trying, the sound seems just ‘wrong’ for want of a pithy description.

Having said that, noise cancelling headphones outside for a stroll or shopping are a must; one of Mans finest moments was the idea and invention of noise cancelling headphones.

Nothing like being divorced from the noise and dribble of the rabble :D

shodan

Distinguished Member
I don't know why but I have this vision in my head of a Staffie trying to drag headphones from your head. :)
He'd only do it once, then I'd take him out the back of the shed.... 😁

Craig uk

So it’s itunes from the Mac into a dac/pre (currently an Anthem MRX), into my active Adams and bliss.

Spotify from the same source too sometimes. And assuming a good recording initially, Spotify can indeed sound good enough.
Spotify was designed to allow people to enjoy music on the go at an affordable price & intended to be used on a mobile device, not really suitable as a decent source in a hifi system. For a few quid more you’re best going for Qobuz or Tidal which will give you near to CD quality sound.

I have a dedicated room so I do spend a lot of my spare time listening to music, 4-5 hours daily, so optimising my enjoyment is important to me, I like to have a choice, whether it be vinyl, Qobuz streams or file based content from my server (Innuos Zen). CD rips on the Innuos is all I have been playing lately, the Zen is a really capable front end for not a lot of money.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Spotify was designed to allow people to enjoy music on the go at an affordable price & intended to be used on a mobile device, not really suitable as a decent source in a hifi system. For a few quid more you’re best going for Qobuz or Tidal which will give you near to CD quality sound.

I have a dedicated room so I do spend a lot of my spare time listening to music, 4-5 hours daily, so optimising my enjoyment is important to me, I like to have a choice, whether it be vinyl, Qobuz streams or file based content from my server (Innuos Zen). CD rips on the Innuos is all I have been playing lately, the Zen is a really capable front end for not a lot of money.
I’d probably go for Tidal, but I’ve made a serious number of playlists now (Spotify) and I despair of starting again. It would take more patience than I possess.

Ps, also, although Spotify is usually used on the go, even in the main room listening properly it’s anything but poor. Again assuming a good recording in the first place.

And I’ve found room correction has a hugely bigger impact on sound quality than any type of music or bitrate.

When I finally get my Lyngdorf I may explore Tidal more fully.

TommyDog

Standard Member
Mostly CD,s here, I have an all Roksan Caspian M2 system, CD player, integrated amp and power amp through Monitor Audio gold 300 5G speakers. I very occasionally listen to vinyl via an Audio Technica AT LP5/Arcam R phono stage. In addition I have an Echo Dot connected to the amp via a Bluetooth gadget bought off Amazon that sounds surprisingly decent. The amps are in a bi-amp configuration connected via Chord Chameleon cables and that's about it really. I do have some AKG headphones, but seeing as the amp has no socket.....they gather dust... Thankfully due to the configuration of our house I can listen at reasonable levels without disturbing the wifey. 👍

DefDave

Between 08:00 & 20:00 it's amp and speakers every time. Living in a terraced house, two sets of neighbours to consider at night, so phones. As gibbsy, bluetooth to avoid dog entanglement when curled up on my knee. Wired phones and i-pod in garden or out walking. Don't have any music on phone or tablet.

shodan

Distinguished Member
Think it's going to be coffee and headphones this morning..
I got a mate who is a guitarist and nearly wept and puked down himself when I told him that I don't actually know any Jethro Tull music so he's given me some to listen to...
Might give it a crack in a moment...

Last edited:

oscroft

I got a mate who is a guitarist and nearly wept and puked down himself when I told him that I don't actually know any Jethro Tull music so he's given me some to listen to...
On the bright side, you now have the treat of discovering Martin Barre ahead of you - I'm sure your guitarist mate has explained how underrated he is ;)

"After designing a road junction in Birmingham, England, he decided that a career in architecture was too boring, and switched to music" (Wikipedia) - a decision that so many of us are grateful for.

shodan

Distinguished Member
On the bright side, you now have the treat of discovering Martin Barre ahead of you - I'm sure your guitarist mate has explained how underrated he is ;)

"After designing a road junction in Birmingham, England, he decided that a career in architecture was too boring, and switched to music" (Wikipedia) - a decision that so many of us are grateful for.
I'll add him to the list.. 😁👍🏻

shodan

Distinguished Member
He's opted for cuddles instead of terrorism at the moment... 😁👍🏻

Attachments

3rdignis

How do I listen to music? Tidal on Apple tv.
What do I use my stereo for? Everything. Music videos, movies, you tube ...
I also have a cinema room, where I use a projector and headphones.

Khankat

Although I have headphones - Sennheiser HD600, I do most of my listening via speakers. Musical taste is catholic, so I enjoy a wide variety of different types, from Blues to Russian choral works via Royal Blood and Prog Rock. Reproduction is CD and vinyl and open reel tape. Apart from the SACD player, I don't have any digital sources, other than some music on my PC. It and my Hi-fi have yet to meet.

Music is powerful stuff!

musicphil

I am fortunate to have a dedicated music room and pretty isolated from house members watching tv in another room. No neighbours to worry about too.
Original Vinyl on my Linn and fed through one of the amps I own to my MC RL21 speakers which are set up near field.
Occassionly I will put on a CD via the Marantz 6006 player.
I feel the music as well as hearing it.....

DIBSTER

100% through my speakers these days. I don't actually own a pair of headphones at the moment, I keep buying nice 2nd hand pairs, never use them and end up selling them on.

I've just moved back to floorstanders after a number of years with stand mounts. I've today bought myself a lovely pair of Spendor A5R speakers off another forum member. As floorstanders go they are quite small and compact but suit and fit my listening room perfectly. They sound absolutely wonderful and an added bonus is they have WAF, my good wife has commented how nice they look! Dead pleased.

They are driven by my Rotel A14 amp which also handles my DAC and BT needs.

I would say 75% of my listening is through my Squeezebox Touch whether it be internet radio or streaming ripped FLAC files from my Synology NAS. The other 25% is CD playback with the matching Rotel CD14. I cannot praise the humble Squeezebox Touch enough, I think it is an absolute giant killer and can't imagine being without one. It's a keeper until it gives up the ghost, it does everything I want and need.

My TV is also connected to my A14 via optical cable so I sometimes listen to music programmes through that too.

I do listen to Spotify Premium but that tends to be during the day at work via my phone and BT in my van. I occasionally listen to Spotify at home and again I find through my phone via the BT in the A14 is more than adequate for my needs.

DIBSTER

I am fortunate to have a dedicated music room and pretty isolated from house members watching tv in another room.
A much overlooked benefit I feel. When we were looking to buy our current home years ago, the first requirement was that there were two rooms, his and hers if you like. We occasionally meet up on the stairs 😀

Khazul

Mostly Tidal/Qobuz/DI.FM or FLACs (and even still some mp3 that I havnt re-ripped yet) of my NAS via Roon into separate DAC, amp and speakers in the living room. (We have a hybrid surround AV + stereo Hifi setup).

I very rarely use headphones at home as I find they quickly get annoying - even my very comfy AKG cans that I used to use for studio work.

Other listening sometimes via a JBL extreme 2 we use as a portable inside and and outside with Roon via a chromecast audio (in the house) or my iPhone (if outside) as it portable, good battery life and water resistant.

Sometimes still listen via vinyl as well on one of my left over decks from DJ days that is now a hifi deck (technics 1210M5G with an ortofon 2m bronze in it), though the vast majority of my vinyl are 12" singles/EPs from my DJing days (80s/90s/00s) - not that many albums, so 'listening' is usually me losing myself mixing (which means sticking a Dj cartridge in the deck that get used for hifi listening and plugging it back into my mixer) :)

DrH

I do have the garage converted into a room which is more of a second lounge than a dedicated room. This has my AV/HiFi in. As the room is small and narrow there is not the room to have floor standers. Just upgraded to Kef R3 which are the best speakers I have had. Sources are cd using the analog output of my Panasonic UHD player which has been designed for high quality audio, utilising a high quality DAC. Also vinyl using Rega RP3 through an external phono stage.

As I use 5.1 for AV as well I listen through my Marantz SR 6013 AVR. Heresy in the HiFi but it does sound good enough to show the difference between Spotify connect and cd for instance.

Spotify is used on our mobiles and the car as it is so easy and good enough for that use.

Apollo83

Relaxing at home:
(usually reading or playing chess while listening)
Open plan room, 3m from speakers, 30% Vinyl, 60% CD , 10% Spotify on Chromecast.

Work from home:
Small office, 1m from speakers, 70% Spotify, 30% local mp3 through computer.

Car:
60% CD, 30% FM Radio

Travelling: (remember that?)
100% local MP3 through headphones.

oscroft

30% FM Radio
That reminds me, I love the sound of FM radio but I'm having trouble getting a suitable tuner to work here. I have an old Technics tuner from the 70s, and that still works fine - but it's a chrome fonted hulk, and just doesn't fit in my sleek black system. I did buy a modern Technics tuner, slim and black, but I can't get the major FM stations with it.

(I can get all the stations I want via web radio, but they just don't sound the same - there's a special sound to FM radio)

Last edited:

Khankat

Like you, I love FM radio, and listen to it most of the day. I have a 25 year old Denon tuner, which I have had from new, which works well and sounds good.

toon10

I use Spotify connect on my Amp/Streamer (via an iPad). I have ripped my CD's to FLAC and I have them stored on a thumbnail USB which is plugged into my amp. I don't bother with my CD player or turntable anymore. I like the convenience of digital music and I have a simple one box, just add speakers solution which works for me.

At night, I just use Spotify on my iPhone with B&W P7's and a TEAC HA-P50 DAC amp.

I've tried TIDAL and they just don't have the library. I suppose if you listen to main stream music you'll be fine but for me, having 30 tracks missing that are available on one of my Spotify playlists is not acceptable. I didn't notice a lot of difference in quality (if any) between the both services when I tested but I'm 46 and my hearing isn't what it used to be.

For those wanting to test for themselves, I found an app on the Apple store which you connect your music services to and you can replicate playlists between each automatically. That worked well but also highlighted just how many tracks were missing from TIDAL.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett