So, how do I fix this?

mushroomkid

Prominent Member
Reaction score
IMG_20160717_151753.jpg

I did a bit of DIY and with the help of a builder mate made a shower room. Problem is, since the shower is in the open, the steam has warped the cheapy Ikea cabinet.

I need a cabinet thats not MDF and won't warp but that's also waterproof (plastic) on the top surface as water does spill from the bowl sink onto it.

Any suggestions?

Wow. MDF cabinet with a ceramic or tiled top? Then put an extractor fan in as that's some serious condensation to warp a cabinet like that, and the room will quickly become mouldy

Could you substitute the top for some cut to size frosted glass?

View attachment 878405

I did a bit of DIY and with the help of a builder mate made a shower room. Problem is, since the shower is in the open, the steam has warped the cheapy Ikea cabinet.

I need a cabinet thats not MDF and won't warp but that's also waterproof (plastic) on the top surface as water does spill from the bowl sink onto it.

Any suggestions?

MDF in a bathroom! Your builder mate needs a slap! :D

View attachment 878405

Any suggestions?
not mushroom left in that cabinet, kid :D

If that shelf is only supported along the edges with no centre support I think it would have buckled anyway (, given the likely weight of the whb, steam or no steam.

Wow. MDF cabinet with a ceramic or tiled top? Then put an extractor fan in as that's some serious condensation to warp a cabinet like that, and the room will quickly become mouldy

I think at this point its no longer salvageable, better off getting a new cabinet. Just want to know how to stop it from happening again. Thinking of perhaps a countertop on top of the new cabinet? We do have an extractor fan, though evidently it isn't enough.

Could you substitute the top for some cut to size frosted glass?

Spoke to the old man and we both reckon it's better if we just get a new cabinet, this one can't be saved :devil:

Ooh. How much was that handwash?

79p, bought from the Classifieds. Wasn't as described, left a negative review.

I would think it's more like spillage from the basin rather than the shower- I presume the basin is on flexi pipework - - either way you'll need to source somthing roughly the same height

New cabinet with Quartz on top.

I tend to specify acrylic doors.

I would think it's more like spillage from the basin rather than the shower- I presume the basin is on flexi pipework - - either way you'll need to source somthing roughly the same height

I would say condensation may be the cause, steamy shower, and water vapour attracted to coldest surface, (ie windows, cold sinks, cisterns etc), would then drip down the outside of the basin onto the wood.

View attachment 878504

And Rob of Argos answered:

This Tongue and Groove Under Sink Storage Unit has a lacquered finish to its MDF core. This will offer protection against water damage however to protect the finish any water spillages should be wiped off as soon as possible.

Didn't read the reviews, just assumed it would be fit for purpose, kinda useless for a bathroom if you have to monitor water spillages!

I was looking for what it's made of, which would seem to be laquered MDF, and MDF is what his existing cupboard is made of. :(

Are you sure it's MDF?

The edge on that top makes it look more like laminated chipboard.

I've got built in MDF stuff in my bathroom, painted with a few coats of oil based gloss, never had any problems with it.

I've no idea, but Argos think it is, for what that's worth.

Ah, thanks... :thumbsup:

Most bathroom furniture is MDF. Chipboard carcass and MDF door/drawer.

The expensive furniture will be high density 3 ply chipboard often with real wood veneer door/drawer.

Half decent furniture is expensive and will have a starting price of about £250/£300

The really good stuff starts at £700 odd.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom