Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

So, How Dark is Dark? (ae300 and ambient light)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jones, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Jones

Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Lo all,

Serious contemplation about a nice upgrade to an ae300 - worked out quite how to fit it into my flat and the neccesary equipment upgrades - but wondering about just how badly ambient light will affect it. The flat in question is top floor with lovely sloped ceilings - with skylights... all of which have blinds but do leak light.

So how dark does it need to be to get a reasonable image? Most of my viewing is at night anyway, so pitch black is possible - but would be nice to know if it will be usable on a sunny Sunday afternoon....

cheers,
    Jones

edit - heh, 1 year, 1 post. :) Didn't even know I was registered til it wouldn't let me reg this email. :blush:

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For films, you'll want as much darkness as you can get, but as you say you usually watch films at night so hopefully not much of a problem.

For regular TV, esp Sports you can get away with a fair amount of uniform ambient light.

What you really have to do is avoid any light shining directly onto the screen, for example I use directional halogens and some diffuse lamps that sit behind the line of the screen, this gives me good light and watchable football ;)

So for the skylights you will want to be positioning the screen so that the sun cannot shine directly onto it (preferably at any time of year ;) ).

-- Jon

3. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 500, obviously the darker the better but I can still watch the picture fine with the light on which is about 6ft from the screen and pointing down.