1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

...So how complete are the pre-loaded settings on OFA remotes?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by RichardH, Jun 11, 2003.

1. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The remote for our VCR has died - new batteries don't do it. I could buy a pattern remote, but the functionality will be limited, and I don't want to stump up £20+ for an original - rather put the cash either towards a new VCR or a decent one for all remote.

I wondered if the preprogrammed codes that the One For Alls have are much cop? The key thing is being able to program the timer etc. As the original remote is dead, I need to have the codes available, as I won't be able to learn them.

FWIW, the VCR is an Akia, remote model RC-W56E

2. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The standard downloads from OFA tend to be limited, but you can program additional keys (around 40) once you know or guess the codes. But memory can be a limitation.

But by making up a cable and using the JP1 software available at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1, you can define your own devices, completely overcoming the memory limitations, and do a lot more besides.

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ...So I just need to make sure I get a JP1 enabled remote, with the buttons I want on it, and I can program it myself - is that about it? In that case I presume it would be possible to go for one of the American remotes, as they seem to look nicer, and are cheaper (though I've not factored in shipping/duty as yet).

4. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a URC-6131(PVR) remote from the US. Although you can buy them retail for about $15, I paid $35 (about £23) including the JP1 modification and shipping. BTW - not all remotes require modification (either soldering in a connector, or sometimes a new EEPROM). The bits for the cable cost my about £5 from Maplin, or you can buy one ready made.

A good place to start is www.hifi-remote.com. There is a link from there to BlueDo who sell remotes (&JP1 cables), or search out a chap called Rob Crowe who modifies OFAs.

I've just about got mine working now, including for the Pace Twin which is brand new and only available in the UK. Once you get the hang of JP1 you do a lot more - eg put macros on the device keys, something which you can't do with a normal OFA, or some much more expensive remotes.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mortod

could you check your link please? I get a "no group found" message.

Ta

DaveP

Edit, it's OK. I needed to take off the ","!

6. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This all looks very interesting. Main job seems to be to find a remote with all the buttons one wants on it (the digibox red, blue, green, yellow being prime candidates...)

8. mortod

mortod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree - for Teletext red/green/blue/yellow you really have to buy a remote in the UK. I bought the US 6131PVR, which at least has three of the colours:

Red Thumbs down
    Green Thumbs up
    Blue PVR Menu
    Yellow Pause

I wanted to use pause as a pause key, so have used a black key as yellow. But this remote has so many keys (44 I think), that there are more than enough to chose from.

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I presume the UK ones are JP1 as well.... Wish they'd give you a decent page on the oneforall website which showed closeups of the buttons for all the models, so it was easy to compare.
    EDIT -managed to do it by fighting the popups. None of them really have enough buttons to do everything, so they. The OFA 4 digital looks as near as poss. Maybe I'll just have to get a PDA going to do all the tricksy stuff, and just find a One for all remote that will handle the day to day stuff....