1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so how come s video is better than rgb?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Halloween Jack, May 10, 2005.

1. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm confused i've read in a fe places that a s-video connection can often be better than rgb. isn't svideo the same as yc? a two signal cable chroma and luminence. i always thought that s-video was better than composite and rgb or yuv are are better than both.

what have i got wrong?

also are these analogue signals or digital? just curious.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Analogue.

S-video isn't better than RGB or component but it's not far away. Depends on display device & DVD player etc.

Composite is abysimal though.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    It will depend on source but generally speaking RGB is better than s-video. There may be instances when its not in reality any better (I've yet to find one though) but I doubt you'll ever find it to be worse unless the source is really screwing things up.

4. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    from recent reading on here I have read that as S-video is more popular in Japan and the US than the UK, some Japanese sets produce better images with an s-video feed than with an RGB feed due to the better processing.

I currently innocently run a composite cable between my DVD and projector (about to be swapped for an S-Video cable as my DVD doesnt support RGB/YUV) but I wouldnt say the image was abysmal, if anything I used to think it was superb until I was told I was using the worst cable, so here's hoping the upgrade to an s-video is worthwhile!

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    doubt this . Some sets may produce an image from an RGB source that is no better than an s-video one but I seriously doubt it will be worse if the TV is not a complete pile.

RGB is inherently better quality than s-video . It should be comparable to component.
    I doubt s-video is more widespread in the US and states. Most people interested in such things won't use it in preference over component and in Japan they have a minidin connector that provides RGB in additiion to the usual suspects.

6. mattross

mattross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I find Svideo to be significantly worse than RGB around text areas. On both my freeview and NTL feeds I can spot the difference quite easily. It's a shame more AV amps don't support RGB in my opinion, it would make the connection nightmare much more palatable.

7. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    just telling ya what I read, here they are:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210560&highlight=s-video+japan

8. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Ok, RGB is suppossed to be better than svideo but depending on what device you are connecting to what display the results may vary. Some displays have difficulty with certain types of signal. I had a beter picture from my dvd player on svideo than rgb when I had my old sony kv36fs76u.