So got me 3D tv but frustrated over full hd 3d

dave909

Standard Member
Reaction score
After the summers disaster of a crap 3d tv from Currys in there seemingly now extinct Logik 3D range (my other thread is in here somewhere lol) I finally took the plunge and jumped on what seems to have been a bargain of a set that is the LG 47lk950U. Yup, full hd 3d and 47" screen for just £400 from Richer Sounds clearance stock. Not bothered in the slightest about ex-display or return stock as it still has the full warranty and will be getting the 5 year cover to.

I must say I'm highly pleased with this set, highly pleased even if the back light is slightly darker along the right side of the screen top to bottom, but I can live with that for now as it's not to notable for the best part. Plenty of features that I'd never have thought possable on a tv. By default it sure make the films look different, almost like watching a live broadcast than a film. Weather or not thats a good thing or a bad I'm undecided as it seems better suited to some films than others except adjusting the many picture settings can of cause change the look and feel of the picture for films.

The 3D is totally amazing and a complete pleasure to watch unlike the pile of junk I got from Currys in the summer for the same price I payed for this LG set.

But the only grumble I have is that I cant get the 3 3D blu-rays I bought the same day to play at all in iso format on this tv via my media player. Ok I know it's the same with many\most tv's & media players but it's starting to bug me as spending money on the 3d discs seems wasted if it has to be in a reduced compressed 3d mkv format. I have no option to play via the pc with the internal blu-ray drive as my setup is not properly 3D compatable so cant connect to play via the pc as far as I can work out. Sure I can convert the blu-rays to mkv and they play fine as do other 3d mkv files I've got hold of and any 2d blu-ray on my media player. But they can only be converted to half sbs or ou.

I know this is not exacally to do with tv's as such unless there is a known way or firmware available for the 47lk950U to allow it to play full 3d blu-ray iso's from the usb which I have tried and it does'nt work.

But does anyone know if standalone 3d blu-ray players with an external usb\media player connected to that can then play full blu-ray iso's via a standalone blu-ray player to a 3dtv in full 3d iso format or whould I really have to go and get another media player (HDMI 1.4 compatable) and dig the rest of my blu-ray (non 3d) collection out and start the transfer process again from scratch. Just that there are several 3d blurays I want to get for us and the daughter going cheap on ebay for xmas yet I dont really want to go to mad buying to many 3d blu-rays if it means I have to shell out a load more cash on other hardware to get the media player working properly on this tv. Would much sooner get my hardware sorted first before building up a 3d collection of films.

Horrid word but LOL ( i did read it all )
I blame the beers ;)

The lk950u is an extremely good 3dtv and outclases top of the range sets from all manufactuers apart from a ld920 950 for 3d xtalk performance, even top of the range plasma's cant beat the performance.
So nice tv you have there, i sent mine back due to the amount of input lag it had in 2d or 3d even with a pc label and the dse.

What i suggest is, as i make heads nor tales at the moment is todo the following.

Use powerdvd to play 3d iso's, play 3d mkv's how you like.
3d on this set is pretty darn good.
It's Frame interpolation is fairly weak but if you don't use that then who cares ;)

Last edited:
Does this set have the tru motion setting? If so,set it to off as that will explain the live broadcast look when watching movies.

As mocca suggests you should be able to play ISOs by various means but there's little point (aside from convenience if you only have access to the ISO) since a F-OU mkv produces identical quality on your set provided you use a good media player.

As it stands this is a non-official format but I can say that OU encodes from 'z-man' will tend to be in this format - if you can find any.;)

Next best choice is normal H-OU although, as I'm sure you've discovered, H-SBS still plays quite impressively anyway.

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to add that the tv even does a decent job at converting from 2d-3d to. Not like true 3d films of cause but certainly watchable with a decent feel of depth.

And yes, the true motion setting switched to off does help with films to prevent the live broadcast like look & feel to them. But to be honest I might have a go at watching films with it switched on as even with the effect it gives it looks different in as much a good way as bad.

I've checked and it seems the graphics card in my pc simply wont feed a full 3d iso film to the LG, even SBS 3d dont give the sbs option for 3d as it's just recognised as a single non sbs image when sbs is what is showing on the LG when fed via the pc. So I guess I can forget the idea of playing full 3d iso's from my pc.

Then there is the OU option, I got hold of something H-OU and in fairness without a SBS version of the same to compare it to to check for sure, even the H-OU 3d looks to be better than anything half SBS upto now. F-OU sure sounds interesting if it's similar quality wise to the full iso's but simply put I cant seem to locate any such material so might have a go at seeing if it's possable to convert the 2 3d blu-rays I do have here to F-OU or see if I can convert the full iso's to F-OU?.

By the way, what do the HD channels (mainly BBC, ITV etc) here in the UK broadcast in resolution wise?. As I was always under the impression that it was 720p yet on this full HD LG there is a hell of a lot more notable detail over my old HD ready set. That was only a 32" screen but I'd still not have expected to notice as much difference detail wise as there is on thisLG screen.

By the way, what do the HD channels (mainly BBC, ITV etc) here in the UK broadcast in resolution wise?. As I was always under the impression that it was 720p yet on this full HD LG there is a hell of a lot more notable detail over my old HD ready set. That was only a 32" screen but I'd still not have expected to notice as much difference detail wise as there is on thisLG screen.
I believe it's 1920 x 1080 so effectively the same quality as blu-ray and it looks superb - although a lot of the source material isn't always HD :(

Very few devices can player full iso 3d files. Some very highend media players can.
Playing through a PC is never enjoyable, IMO.
The cheapest media player that can play 3D ISO file is rt1186 based media players.
If you have many ISO files, or even HSBS mkv files, it is a good investment.

Very few devices can player full iso 3d files. Some very highend media players can.
Playing through a PC is never enjoyable, IMO.
The cheapest media player that can play 3D ISO file is rt1186 based media players.
If you have many ISO files, or even HSBS mkv files, it is a good investment.

I sort of read that in the last week. I even managed to get hold of a full 3d iso with the intention of trying to convert it to full OU. DVDFab done a good enough job of converting a single chapter to test. But sadly as expected my old media player refused to play it and got a message (from the media player) to say the frame is to big to play. Which begs the question is therefor only PC equipment capable of playing FULL OU or SBS?. Meaning only a media player using the original 3D ISO is capable of sending full 3D to a display seeing as anything else is to big frame wise for the hardware. If so whats the point in FULL OU or SBS seeing as I cant even see much PC hardware capable of displaying the frame size?. Then again there is'nt anything out there that I can find via a quick look in FULL OU or SBS so probably answered my own question on that lol.

My current media player does play H SBS & H OU 3d mkv so there is limited reason to go and upgrade it on the face of it. But as a fussy person who often enjoys all the extras and other options on the blu-ray disks and cant help thinking of the extra pure quality etc I cant help thinking if for that reason alone an upgrade might be worth it to get a media player that will play the full 3d ISO with blu-ray menu compatability?. But I do like to put my physical media collections on a media player to preserve and protect the originals. The mentioned rt1186 based media players can be got for as little as £60 or $90 if you like, but have since read the chipset alone wont mean I'd still be able to play 3D ISO's for sure as it's also down to other features on the players and if a particular media player will display or work the blu-ray menus to choose the 3D version of a film in the first place reguardless of what a seller claims it can do compatability wise?.

If so whats the point in FULL OU or SBS seeing as I cant even see much PC hardware capable of displaying the frame size?
Even modest PC hardware is capable of acting as a (DLNA) server and that really is the whole point. As celcius has commented you use a decent media player to do all the donkey work and let the PC do the stuff it's good at (streaming). That means the PC can still be used for something useful, whilst someone is watching a film, since all its resources will not be tied up attempting to drive a monitor (your TV).

How good a media player you purchase will directly impact issues with codecs etc. (although far less of an issue if you only do your own encoding) and you'll also need quite a pricey one if you really do want to stream ISOs.

File size is another important consideration. F-OU, H-OU and H-SBS .mkv formats are just a fraction of a full ISO image which naturally impacts on portability and storage etc.

If ISO files is you really want to play, then the cheapest/easiest solution is the mentioned rt1186 media player.
I personally find HSBS 10GB mkv files good enough for my 47" TV so I never use ISO files as they are too big (to store and sssccchhhh - download!).
If you are ripping your own BD then ISO is easy and quick so understandable.
Chinese media players (and phones) are so cheap and features packed because they all use standard hardware (the main chip). In this case a rt1186 chip has all the functions built in. All they need is to assemble the components on a standard official PCB from the chip manufacturer. They really do not need R&D. The differences between brands are of course the built quality and standard components connected to it (ports, casing, display etc.).
So the features of one 1186 players does not differ much to another.
I use a very cheap palm size one and I am satisfy with it.
Mind you I upgraded from a 1185 player which does everything a 1186 player does except that it does not play native 3D ISO files. If you do not play ISO and have 1185 player. I would not spend the money to upgrade.
If you are buying one, be sure to get a 1186 player for a very small price difference.
Rt1186 players do play 3D ISO files. You would be unlucky if you buy one that does not.
You may not get full navigation menu (with some files). Some crash with it on so you need to play with it off. That is probably the major differences between brands as some may have better firmware.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom