So far YLOD-free 20GB PS3 - Should I go for a reballing anyway?

myunhen

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

This is adressed in particular to owners of the YLOD-prone "fat" PS3s.

My launch Japanese 20GB PS3 has never had the YLOD, never been opened and never had it's FW tempered with... and it's still going strong! Only thing that was ever done to it, was an HDD upgrade to 80GB.

Although I am not the original owner, for the last 2 years I have been mighty proud to be in possession of a still fully functional and backwards compatible PS3 and all for a bargain price of £90.

I realise that I can count myself quite lucky indeed that the machine has not had a YLOD so far, and perhaps understandably I would like to keep it that way.

So here is my question to original PS3 owners in particular:

Would it make sense to have my PS3 undergo a preventive reballing procedure and/or have its BD-drive exchanged for a new one ...? Well, in fact any possible measures to have its so far YLOD-free existence extended to an absolute maximum at all?
Or should I wait until YLOD-damnation finally hits my machine and then go for the overhaul?

Any advice from anyone out there? Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't tbh, if it hasn't got already then it more than likely won't go anytime soon xD

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

If you're feeling especially flush then put that money to one side for the day you need it - or of course spend it on games.

I recently had a scare and thought my 40GB fat was going to die taking my NFS:The Run disc and all my saved games with it. Back up your saved games to a USB stick - its really simple, can't believe I'd not done it before. Somehow assumed I needed to back up the whole 40GB drive, not a few MB of saves.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Got It.

If you're feeling especially flush then put that money to one side for the day you need it - or of course spend it on games.
Right you are, there are always tough times ahead - or the next good game around the corner!

Somehow assumed I needed to back up the whole 40GB drive, not a few MB of saves.
Know what you mean. When I upgraded from my 20GB HDD to a 80GB HDD, for all the files to transfer from one to the other I thought I'd need an external HDD with a size of at least 20GB. Turned out, I could pack all my save files onto 2GB USB stick.
Everything else, like sound and avi files, as well installed data from games, which I had saved on the 20GB HDD I could delete, as I had them stored elsewhere anyway, or simply reinstall any necessary game data from the PSN store or from any discs, which was done in 10 mins.

myunhen said:
Hi there!

This is adressed in particular to owners of the YLOD-prone "fat" PS3s.

My launch Japanese 20GB PS3 has never had the YLOD, never been opened and never had it's FW tempered with... and it's still going strong! Only thing that was ever done to it, was an HDD upgrade to 80GB.

Although I am not the original owner, for the last 2 years I have been mighty proud to be in possession of a still fully functional and backwards compatible PS3 and all for a bargain price of £90.

I realise that I can count myself quite lucky indeed that the machine has not had a YLOD so far, and perhaps understandably I would like to keep it that way.

So here is my question to original PS3 owners in particular:

Would it make sense to have my PS3 undergo a preventive reballing procedure and/or have its BD-drive exchanged for a new one ...? Well, in fact any possible measures to have its so far YLOD-free existence extended to an absolute maximum at all?
Or should I wait until YLOD-damnation finally hits my machine and then go for the overhaul?

Any advice from anyone out there? Thanks in advance!

Ive fixed so many. I repasted mine 1.5 years ago. Gonna redo it in dec.. Runs nice and cool.. Reball is not ness. Wpuldnt hurt to repaste it if u know how. Use good paste Atric silver or antec 7

Arctic MX-4 is better than those 2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom