So disappointed with PS5 games.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I've had mine since launch day and it is hardly used, played Miles Morales, Resi Village and currently Rachet & Clank.

Either I've lost interest in gaming or the jump to PS5 from 4 Pro doesn't impress me. All the talk of more horsepower, RT, 4k etc and when you do play a game in fidelity mode to leverage all of that its a horrible juddery 30fps mess.

I've been playing R&C in performance RT and thought let me try out fidelity mode the other day, genuinely thought there was something wrong with the game.
Going from locked 60 to 30 will do that... hardly an unusual sensation, on any platform.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
GT7 being cross gen ticked me off to no end.

Takes them years and years to make one and the one they're making now will be restricted, I understand the business aspect (PS4 user base size) but come on.
I don't really see which aspects of a title like GT7 will be restricted to be honest. At it's core, it's a track racer... PS5 will have better visuals and frame rates, just like a PC would with a better rig...

iwb100

Distinguished Member
The OP here is specific and its probably just the wrong machine for his or her tastes. But you do see a lot of this and it always makes me wonder - how many people are just buying consoles to play games for a year or two to see how blown away they are by them before they then go back to generally not gaming much?

Because we are definitely at a point where the ability for a video game console release every 7 years or so to completely change the paradigm of gaming or graphics is diminishing rapidly. We are seeing an evolution of consoles as someone else said to be more akin to 'upgrading your GPU' and that's just the old diminishing returns graph. Consoles simply cannot have the impact they once did when going from say 2d to 3d. They are just never going to fundamentally shift gaming in a clean generational break like they used to.

I think the idea of a console having full BC and an evolving library and updating games you already own to make them run better on your existing hardware and being in effect analogous to a PC ecosystem is the way we should think about them now. They are just PC's in a living room. And the next one that comes round will look better and run better for those who notice but will not revolutionise gaming suddenly.

Frankly the SSD's and 60FPS are massive, massive upgrades but both rely on you enjoying the games we've enjoyed for the last decade but just running better.

Cloysterpeteuk

Distinguished Member
GT7 being cross gen ticked me off to no end.

Takes them years and years to make one and the one they're making now will be restricted, I understand the business aspect (PS4 user base size) but come on.
I’m always confused how MS can bang Forza's out like they’re going out of fashion yet it takes Sony a bloody decade to bring out a proper GT game, it’s not like the Forza games are rushed half arse jobs they're stuffed to the gills with content.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
Frankly the SSD's and 60FPS are massive, massive upgrades but both rely on you enjoying the games we've enjoyed for the last decade but just running better.

?

Are you saying that there are little to no games available aside from back cat, or that we're playing games that are designed for old tech and could have ran on them anyway, but just look better?

iwb100

Distinguished Member
?

Are you saying that there are little to no games available aside from back cat, or that we're playing games that are designed for old tech and could have ran on them anyway, but just look better?
Neither. Just that you know the games we play are not changing as dramatically by generation anymore. As in the type of games aren’t changing. It’s a slower burn. You don’t see 2d games then suddenly a week later after new gen 3D. Or SD suddenly becoming HD or new genres opening up on the back of technology.

It’s just a slower burn, in terms of a shift that would be noticeable to a lot of consumers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom