So disappointed with PS5 games.

cdanson

Standard Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's my age (51) but the kind of games I want to play do not exist on the PS5. I owned a PS1/2 & 3 before having kids and no time to play games for 15 years. Then (now I have some time again) finally I bought a PS5 simply because I am used to having a playstation and didn't really think to look at what I could actually play on it.

So here's the thing. I like MMO. I like RTS and I don't mind a bit of RPG. But as far as I'm concerned what's available on the PS5 just lacks sophistication and scope. I want a game that has battle sequences that warrant 4K 60fps but that is rooted in MMO & RTS. I really enjoyed playing Empire 4 Kingdoms on my android phone for a year because of the chat. It was all about the chat, the alliances and understanding the rules and working as a team. I want to do that but with an open world and the beauty of the latest technology. There is so much that could be done with that.

It's just extremely disappointing to look at what's on offer for the ps5. The genres are narrow and I feel like I have to go elsewhere to find what I'm looking for if it even exists. Browsing the PS5 catalogue is like going through netflix and realising there's nothing you want. Thank god the Witcher season 2 is out soon.

The games are there, but you need to look through the PS4 catalogue, failing that, sounds like you should have gone PC given your taste. PS5 native games will always take time to come to the table, but many PS4 games look tremendous on PS5, maybe try Monster Hunter World as a starting point..

You don't like the games but can't wait for the witcher s 2?
I think toasty is right, the fact that it's only a year old and still relatively low on games maybe tells you it wasn't quite the right time or console for you.
I will never own a pc but that might be a better option or if not ps4 and a tablet/ipad for android or ios games?

You don't like the games but can't wait for the witcher s 2?
I think toasty is right, the fact that it's only a year old and still relatively low on games maybe tells you it wasn't quite the right time or console for you.
I will never own a pc but that might be a better option or if not ps4 and a tablet/ipad for android or ios games?
Yes I love the TV Show of The Witcher but don't want to play games like that. I should have done a bit more research first I agree. PC might be the way to go. My Dell laptop is on its last legs so I'll have more options when I replace it.

Maybe it's my age (51) but the kind of games I want to play do not exist on the PS5. I owned a PS1/2 & 3 before having kids and no time to play games for 15 years. Then (now I have some time again) finally I bought a PS5 simply because I am used to having a playstation and didn't really think to look at what I could actually play on it.

So here's the thing. I like MMO. I like RTS and I don't mind a bit of RPG. But as far as I'm concerned what's available on the PS5 just lacks sophistication and scope. I want a game that has battle sequences that warrant 4K 60fps but that is rooted in MMO & RTS. I really enjoyed playing Empire 4 Kingdoms on my android phone for a year because of the chat. It was all about the chat, the alliances and understanding the rules and working as a team. I want to do that but with an open world and the beauty of the latest technology. There is so much that could be done with that.

It's just extremely disappointing to look at what's on offer for the ps5. The genres are narrow and I feel like I have to go elsewhere to find what I'm looking for if it even exists. Browsing the PS5 catalogue is like going through netflix and realising there's nothing you want. Thank god the Witcher season 2 is out soon.
Agree with everything you're saying here (apart from the Witcher series love, but that's by the by!)

I find many PS5 fans/owners are quick to leap to its defence, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no defence. As you allude to, 'back in the day' new consoles were launched with a good handful of 'cutting edge' AAA releases. The PS5's exclusives are lacklustre to say the least

Console launches were always a really big deal, with a plethora of games accompanying them which would show off the latest hardware capacities. Now we've got a new generation of fans playing older games...at 60fps. 'Woop'...

Most console launch windows are fairly baron, especially with exclusives and certainly wouldn't have been packed with brand new MMO, RTS and RPGs in the past. The PS5 does at least have a handful of well received native games and given the OP missed the PS4 generation (I think), experiencing some fantastic last gen games at 60fps and decent load times isn't really a crap call and certainly nothing to do with being defensive, I've already mentioned PC may be more the OP's cup of tea as did the second reply..

Most console launch windows are fairly baron, especially with exclusives and certainly wouldn't have been packed with brand new MMO, RTS and RPGs in the past. The PS5 does at least have a handful of well received native games and given the OP missed the PS4 generation (I think), experiencing some fantastic last gen games at 60fps and decent load times isn't really a crap call and certainly nothing to do with being defensive, I've already mentioned PC may be more the OP's cup of tea as did the second reply..
I did miss the PS4 gen but have been browsing the PS4 games as suggested and I think I will find stuff there to enjoy. Appreciate the advice. Guess I'll need to patiently await new content on the PS5 and get a new laptop while I'm at it.

Agree with everything you're saying here (apart from the Witcher series love, but that's by the by!)

I find many PS5 fans/owners are quick to leap to its defence, but as far as I'm concerned, there is no defence. As you allude to, 'back in the day' new consoles were launched with a good handful of 'cutting edge' AAA releases. The PS5's exclusives are lacklustre to say the least

Console launches were always a really big deal, with a plethora of games accompanying them which would show off the latest hardware capacities. Now we've got a new generation of fans playing older games...at 60fps. 'Woop'...

Games are so much more complex and detailed these days, they can cost a couple of hundred million to make and can take up to a decade to produce in some cases. Expecting five or so AAA exclusive games at launch isn’t viable, games need to be multi-platform these days to reach the widest audience.

Releasing multiple big name games at the same time, all cannibalising each others sales is hardly the smart thing to do for Sony either. They need a steady pipeline of content coming through to maintain interest in the PS5 across half a decade or more.

Personally I thought the launch period for the PS5 was better than either the PS3 or PS4, games like Miles, Ratchet, Returnal and Demon Souls are all fantastic I wouldn’t call a single one of those lacklustre.

It’s time folk got out of the mindset of treating each new console as a new epoch in gaming, a new machine with an entirely new catalogue of games to play. You would have far more realistic expectations set if you treated buying new hardware as akin to upgrading your GPU on your pc.

To the OP the games you enjoy will be far and few on the ps store.. if at all. You will also be limited to a controller… (I won’t list the pros and cons between pc and consoles here)
I think you would be better off selling the ps5 and putting that money towards getting a good pc and play the games you enjoy the most. The ps5 is going to take a while to get going.... although pc parts etc are still being sold at silly prices. Hmmm decisions decisions…🤷‍♂️

To the OP the games you enjoy will be far and few on the ps store.. if at all. You will also be limited to a controller… (I won’t list the pros and cons between pc and consoles here)
I think you would be better off selling the ps5 and putting that money towards getting a good pc and play the games you enjoy the most. The ps5 is going to take a while to get going.... although pc parts etc are still being sold at silly prices. Hmmm decisions decisions…🤷‍♂️
Yeah that makes sense. My kids will get a lot out of the PS5 though and the blue ray player is useful. I'll focus on finding the games I want to play first and worry about the platform afterwards.

Yeah that makes sense. My kids will get a lot out of the PS5 though and the blue ray player is useful. I'll focus on finding the games I want to play first and worry about the platform afterwards.

Every now and then I’d recommend going out of your comfort zone and trying a genre or game that is completely new to you, one that is polar opposite to what you usually play, if your lucky you’ll find a game that multiple sequels you can check out.

Services like Game Pass and PS Now are great for this, there'll be plenty of hidden gems on there that you’ll love but you won’t notice them as they don’t fall into what you usually play.

10 second Ninja. Great game ;)

Yes I love the TV Show of The Witcher but don't want to play games like that. I should have done a bit more research first I agree. PC might be the way to go. My Dell laptop is on its last legs so I'll have more options when I replace it.
Man, I hated the TV show. It was terribly written and over hyped, it just wasn't a good series. The cartoon was better though imo

I've been around for many console launches and I'd disagree there have always been loads of AAA games, including exclusives, at launch. I'd actually say the PS5 launch line up was better than PS2, PS3 and PS4. There has also been some first good first party games in the first year after launch too, which is definitely not always the case with previous consoles. Astro's Playroom was one of the best launch titles ever IMO for showing off new hardware, and it was free.

I've had mine since launch day and it is hardly used, played Miles Morales, Resi Village and currently Rachet & Clank.

Either I've lost interest in gaming or the jump to PS5 from 4 Pro doesn't impress me. All the talk of more horsepower, RT, 4k etc and when you do play a game in fidelity mode to leverage all of that its a horrible juddery 30fps mess.

I've been playing R&C in performance RT and thought let me try out fidelity mode the other day, genuinely thought there was something wrong with the game.

When I saw that Unreal Engine 5 demo I had really high hopes for games on the PS5. I think a lot of games are still in development. Maybe I'll see something very impressive that will tempt me into getting a PS5.

I've had mine since launch day and it is hardly used, played Miles Morales, Resi Village and currently Rachet & Clank.

Either I've lost interest in gaming or the jump to PS5 from 4 Pro doesn't impress me. All the talk of more horsepower, RT, 4k etc and when you do play a game in fidelity mode to leverage all of that its a horrible juddery 30fps mess.

I've been playing R&C in performance RT and thought let me try out fidelity mode the other day, genuinely thought there was something wrong with the game.

I’m the exact opposite, I barely used my PS4 Pro, so friggin slow and noisy, PS5 has been a breath of fresh air for me the dash and store are now proper responsive, the new pad is great, Sony games loading in a couple of seconds is immense with even third party games feeling so much more rapid loading.

Plus I love the fact that nearly everything I play is improved in some way on the new machine, it’s got to the point now that there’s barely any games left that I would play that aren’t locked at 60. Couldn’t be happier with it.

It’s a cheap £350/£450 console so you do need to pick and choose where you want to use that power, whichever mode you choose it’s nice bump from a PS4 Pro but the days of vast gargantuan leaps in visuals are long gone. If 4K, 120fps ray traced gaming is what you’re looking for a £2000+ PC is the better choice than a console.

Quality of life wise, I completely agree the interface, speed and dualsense is a huge upgrade.

But yes agreed, huge jumps in visuals are behind us now. I'm more miffed they (as always) talked up all these new aspects like RT and 4K and so forth, but never mentioned caveats.

As always I'm sure it will improve in the later years of the consoles life looking at TLoU2 and GoT.

Happy with my PS5, not so happy with Sony's new pricing policies, confusing upgrade paths and unnecessary remastering and reselling of PS4 games for PS5.

GT7 being cross gen ticked me off to no end.

Takes them years and years to make one and the one they're making now will be restricted, I understand the business aspect (PS4 user base size) but come on.

Going from locked 60 to 30 will do that... hardly an unusual sensation, on any platform.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom