So did you get Pro Evo 4 yet?

Bristol Pete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked my copy up today.

Still as playable as ever, but I cannot help but feel that last years graphics were slightly better. Not a lot in it though.

More effort has gone into the Italian kits as per usual and some of the Premier kits are a little shoddy. There are some nice touches, such as Henry playing with his socks over his knees, Totti with his socks quite low etc.

Will wait for an update online somewhere to get the kits spot on.

Still, it plays really well.

What are your thoughts.

Cap :)

It's great - played a game or two on it and went back to WE8 as i've got that patched really well.

After playing it for a few months now (WE8 and more recently PES4) these are my views :-

- On screen ref - basically a waste of processing power, adds authenticity but adds nothing else to the game.
- General play - smoother & more responsive than PES3 with less annoying animations that must be left to run their course before you can get a player to react.
- Corners & free kicks - harder to score from and timing needs to be more spot on than ever before - an improvement in my book as it's more realistic.
- Refs - better AI and better use of the advantage rule. Still not perfect but the best refs yet and far better than the rubbish we had in PES3 - i.e. where great tackles were penalised with Yellow cards and disgusting tackles that went unpunished! The banishing or at least greatly reducing of the silly handball rule is also a good move.
- Player AI - much improved again - players make more intellegent runs. Also player speeds have been made more realistic i.e. Henry or Owen can't just easily break away with the ball from all but the fastest midfielder or defender like they could in PES3.
- Keepers - better again - much less silly errors where keepers just let in daft goals by getting confused with defenders etc. They still do very occasionaly as in real life but not almost every game as happened in PES3. Also straight shots are saved more often so the need to work clever moves to score goals has never been greater.
- Master league - not dabbled much yet but looks much bigger & better than ever before.
- Graphics - The best yet (I disagree that they are not as good as PES3) - far more detail and better player likenesses. Also more animations help to bring the game even more to life.

All in all it replaces PES3 as the greatest Video game money can buy IMO. To put things in perspective I would gladly pay 10 times more for this game than 80% of titles that are released these days.

I can't wait for the XBox version so I can play it on Live!! :thumbsup:

I have to say that at first i didn't like it !!! Then i realised i'd been playing it for 4 hours, not bad for a game i don't like eh? :smoke:

In all honesty it's ace!! Go back to pes3 and feel how restrictive the passing and dribbling is!!

Just a shame this new one needs a complete squad update!!

Yeah - that's one reason why i'm sticking to my patched WE8 until some good PES4 patches come out. All of my players are in the right teams, I have far more proper kits, better boots, balls & stadium billboards. The sound is also much better with all of the correct sounds & chants of many of the teams and groovy menu & highlight screen tunes from the likes of Queen & Bob Marley.

I've played a few games of PES3 recently - it's still a great game but PES4 is a big improvement over it IMO.

One thing I have noticed is that when you choose refs in WE8 it tells you how likely they are to brandish cards as well as how harsh they are on fouls - this had strangely gone in PES4! :(

Been playing it all night. Have to concur with the playability discussion...much better than PES3 :)

Thought the football boot graphics are awful this time and why so little effort on the UK kits compared to the Italian, Spanish leagues so on.

Roll on the updates.....

Cap :)

Ive not bothered buying Ps2 Pes4 even though i still have pes 1,2 & 3 im going to wait for the online xbox version to appear :clap:

I've been hammering WE8 & now PES4 on the PS2 since early August as I want to be nice & sharp once it goes live with the X-Box version - can't wait!

I know what you mean re: the graphics Captain Benefit. I've been playing a much nicer looking patched version for a while now so I kind of forgot what the stock version looked like.

Got to be honest. gthom said the graphics were poor and they are. Very poor. It just looks like the PS2 version. Fifa 2005 looks a world apart to be honest. And I have had the lads around tonight for 4 player and after due consideration I am afraid we prefer Fifa 2005.

I am going to get lynched but thats what we think.

harrisuk said:
Got to be honest. gthom said the graphics were poor and they are. Very poor. It just looks like the PS2 version. Fifa 2005 looks a world apart to be honest. And I have had the lads around tonight for 4 player and after due consideration I am afraid we prefer Fifa 2005.

I am going to get lynched but thats what we think.
Well for a start if the xbox version doe's look like the ps2 version? it'll be sound as that looks very nice indeed. as for Fifa looking worlds apart i have to say thats crap imho. close ups of the players on fifa look ok, but the graphics while playing look rubbish. how long have you had evo 4? just give it more time & you will see it's miles ahead of Fifa 2k5. even though it does'nt have all the real kits ect :rolleyes:

gthom3 said:
All in all it replaces PES3 as the greatest Video game money can buy IMO. To put things in perspective I would gladly pay 10 times more for this game than 80% of titles that are released these days.

I can't wait for the XBox version so I can play it on Live!! :thumbsup:

Why would you want to pay £400 for a game? :confused:

Why would you want to pay £400 for a game?

It's not that I would pay £400 for a game it's just that in terms of the play I get from PES I would gladly pay much more for it than most other games. A lot of other games aren't worth a fiver! I would say that in terms of play the majority of games are worth about £10 to £15.

I rate games in terms of the enjoyment I get from them and also by the length of time that the game keeps me coming back for more. Each PES game keeps me playing several times a week for the full year until the next one comes out. Some games keep me going a month and some a few days.

Each to their own here I guess. It's always been the case that if you want the 'nicest looking' footie game then FIFA's your bag. PES has caught up a lot but doesn't and never will have all the glitz of a FIFA title. FIFA's probably better if you have some mates who are just casual players but if you have some mates who are willing to put the time in to learn PES then there is no contest. FIFA has never felt like football to me - it looks like football but the feel just isn't there. I'll be getting the X-Box version for Live and if it looks as nice as the PS2 version i'll be very happy.

I'm currently running Fifa 2005 and Pro Evo 4 on the Xbox. Bit of history, I've been playing Fifa since Fifa 95. I love the game.

2005 is ok. I'm still getting used to it but graphics wise it's great. Pro Evo I've never liked. I always got the feeling, when compared to UEFA 2004 (not Fifa 2004) that you didn't have ultimate control. Now I am warming to Pro Evo 4 but I think I'm still a Fifa fan.

G

The thing about PES is that you DO have full control, where as FIFA has always been a bit more pinball. I guess where FIFA has won over people is that it is easy to pick up and play and initially people feel that they are in control. PES on the other hand is the complete opposite. It requires hours of play just to get the absolute basics down and many people will get frustrated I guess before they have scratched the surface of the game. It is only once you've scratched the surface though that the games brilliance shines through.

With PES if you have a quick bash against someone half decent on someone elses console you will probably come away thinking it's tosh. If ever a game rewarded time and effort invested by the player then PES is that game.

Well for a start if the xbox version doe's look like the ps2 version? it'll be sound as that looks very nice indeed. as for Fifa looking worlds apart i have to say thats crap imho. close ups of the players on fifa look ok, but the graphics while playing look rubbish. how long have you had evo 4? just give it more time & you will see it's miles ahead of Fifa 2k5.

Sorry the graphics are absolutely rubbish on Pro Evo 4 compared to Fifa 2005. And I cant see how anyone could say any different. And we prefer the gameplay on Fifa 2005 as well. The new Fifa game seems to be a significant improvement on the last one. The same cant be said about Pro Evo 4 I am afraid.

Just my opinion.

Like I say each to their own I guess, can't say i'm impressed by Fifa 05 much at all - it's better than the tripe they've released in the past but to mention it in the same sentence as PES is sacrillage in my eyes. ;)

I'm currently running Fifa 2005 and Pro Evo 4 on the Xbox

I thought the Xbox version wasn't out yet?? Or is it the copy with eye patches and a parrot?

If anyone was a true football fan then they would realise that Fifa just doesn't cut it as a football game! PES is the closest to "real" football as you can get!!

Well sorry I don’t agree with this Pro Evo snobbery. I am a proper football fan I just don’t like Pro Evo 4 I am afraid. The graphics are grainy and blocky, washed out is the kindest I can say for them. The game play is best described as frenetic. What looks good on a PS2 looks quite average on the Xbox I am afraid.

I thought the Xbox version wasn't out yet?? Or is it the copy with eye patches and a parrot?

Pro Evo 4 went gold a while back; meaning Pal stock has been / is in the process of being distributed to wholesalers / retailers for the titles official release. So in this case it is not necessarily the case that people are playing pirate copies of the game. As I have said, this is just my opinion. Well my opinion and friends. We have played Pro Evo 4 and Fifa 2005 quite a bit. The unanimous opinion was Fifa 2005 was the better game in terms of graphics and game play.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion which is fair enough, however i think you'll find that you are in a minority when you say that fifa is better!

Anyway whats so good about scoring the same goal almost everytime and playing a game that ends 6 - 4 :confused:

Grainy and blocky my arse - the graphics on my PS2 version are very sharp, crisp and detailed and as sharp as anything on my X-Box through RGB. I know that if I had a Plasma or Projector I could get a Hi Def picture through my X-box but I haven't so i'm just comparing like for like.

You are either (strangely) tryng to put people off Pro Evo 4 or you have a very poor connection to your TV. Regulars to this forum usually have no less than an RGB connection so I can only guess it's the former.

If anyone wants to make their own mind up regarding how "grainy and blocky" PES4's graphics are then there are plenty of screen shots on the net.

Anyone who thinks that FIFA (playing by numbers) 2005 is a decent footie game obviously likes high score lines, minimal tactical play and a game where AI is so poor that you can score the same goal over & over. Infact apart from graphically (which I agree are very good, just edging PES4's graphics) FIFA 2005 hasn't advanced much since the days of 8 bit footie titles. Match Day 2 on my speccy had better AI :D

Well, I've been playing Xbox FIFA '05 for the last week, and while its the best FIFA I've played (last one was 2001ish) its not even as good as PS2 Pro Evo 3. Even if PES4 is just as good as PES3, Pro Evo wins. Everytime you mention the game, harrisuk, its always about the graphics, with the gameplay being a side issue. If thats what floats your boat go for it, but you haven't yet mentioned what PES4 plays like.

Yes we are all entitled to our opinions and if people like Pro Evo 4 good luck to them I hope they get hours of enjoyment from the game. I was merely saying that having played it, its a big disappointement to me personally. I was expecting so much and I just dont feel it has delivered.

On the point of the Fifa Franchise neither 2004 or 2005 have been high scoring affairs in my experience. You are quite right in saying that the previous games were, it was simply too easy to score and a matter of which player could get the Ball in the back of the net most times. In reality Fifa 2004 was not a good game in my opinion and 2005 is a massive improvement both in terms of graphics and playing experience. The key thing they have done is improve the passing, made tackling a little less easy and you can actually score from free kicks now which is quite gratifying.

We must have had 20 - 30 games of Fifa 2005 yesterday on 4 player. The scores were mostly 2-1 - 1-1, with the notable exception of the last game we played which was 3 - 0 to my team :)

Basically I am sure the Pro Evo nuts will love it as the first version available on the Xbox. It was just a big disappointment to me. I wasnt expecting Fifa 2005 to be a better game but to my surprise it is.

Anyway that was my 1000 post :thumbsup:

Harris UK, can I just ask, do you like Pro Evo 3 on the PS2? How would you rate that game against Fifa 2005? (I'm talking gameplay terms not presentation)

Whats the commentary like?

have they still got the **** with the lisp, who says about 3 sentences and pronounces everything wrong?

I really hope they sorted out the commentary for this one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom