So Denon x4700h Vs the Yamaha RX-V6A AV which one?

whitehart

Unfortunetly me being really impatient with regards to a HDMI 2.1 AV that I will want to have plugged in for 5 years min. It looks like for me its between these 2, I currently have a AV thats around 5 years old (old yamaha).
I was very very close to pulling trigger on the Denon AV (like richer sounds guy contacted me today regarding it close) and then Yamaha announce these 2 new AV's the one that interests me the most is the V6A. however if i bought this Yamaha AV what would I miss from the Denon?

to give you some background Im running 2 vintage fronts XP2 Glendales which i want to replace with some KEF floor standers fronts (I have a budget of £1K maybe a bit more for the right speakers. The reason im upgrading is for the HDMI 2.1 and the fact the Yamaha has 3 HDMI ports that are 2.1, the Denon only has one.
I also want to improve the sound quality.

Would i just be better off waiting for the Yamaha higher end AVR's? the problem is i dont want to wait forever, I will be wanting to max out the new xbox when its out

dante01

Distinguished Member
They are not comparable products and the V6 equates more closely to the Denon AVRX2700 than the X4700.

You'd have to await the Aventage A models in order to get a more comparable model to the X4700.

If you buy a V6 then you'd be limited to just 7 channels and you'd not have the additional power and headroom associated with the higher tier X4700. Many will also suggest that Yamaha's YPAO room EQ correction is less capable than the Audyssey XT32 EQ correction that you'd be getting with the X4700. The V6 does have front left and right channel pre outs, but the Denon includes pre outs for 11 channels.

If simply wanting a 2 channel setup then I'd be more inclined to suggest you look an a 2 channel intergrated stereo amplifier as opposed to a multichannel AVR. HDMI sources would be connected directly to the TV and 2 channel audio would then be passed through the TV and out via the TV's optical audio output. This can then be converted to 2 channel analogue prior to the amplifier or you could use a stereo amp with an integral DAC?

Last edited:

whitehart

They are not comparable products and the V6 equates more closely to the Denon AVRX2700 than the X4700.

You'd have to await the ADventage A models in order to get a more comparable model to the X4700.

If you buy a V6 then you'd be limited to just 7 channels and you'd not have the additional power and headroom associated with the higher tier X4700. Many will also suggest that Yamaha's YPAO room EQ correction is less capable than the Audyssey XT32 EQ correction that you'd be getting with the X4700. THe V5 does have front left and right channel pre outs, but the Denon includes pre outs for 11 channels.

If simply wanting a 2 channel setup then I'd be more inclined to suggest you look an a 2 channel intergrated stereo amplifier as opposed to a multichannel AVR. HDMI sources would be connected directly to the TV and 2 channel audio would then be passed through the TV and out via the TV's optical audio output. This can then be converted to 2 channel analogue prior to the amplifier or you could use a stereo amp with an integral DAC?
yeah its terrible on the one hand i gain more 2.1 ports but on the other I lose on channels and possibly quality of sound I dunno, however at the higher end equipment I do prefer the sound of Yamaha's over the Denon, i wonder if the higher tier range will be out before christmas? if only the denon had 1 more 2.1 HDMI in then Id have bought it today

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Arguably a suitable TV to take advantage of the higher HDMI features is going to have multiple ports AND support for E-Arc, which on theory makes it irrelevant where your consoles connect. Is one or two 2.1 ports really that important at this point?

whitehart

Arguably a suitable TV to take advantage of the higher HDMI features is going to have multiple ports AND support for E-Arc, which on theory makes it irrelevant where your consoles connect. Is one or two 2.1 ports really that important at this point?
for me yes I have a TV that has HDMI 2.1 on only one of its ports, i will be buying both xbox and ps5

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom