Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

So damn hard to decide what to buy!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Lizzard, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am so confused, mostly because i have a limited budget of around £3,500 to spend.

I do not want a 852x480 plasma so that is out of the game.

Right now i am torn between the TH-50PHW6, PDP-435XDE, TH-42PHW7, PDP-50MXE1, PDP-43MXE1.

The cheapest of them all are the TH-50PHW6 for me as i can get a special deal on remaining stock, that is the reason i am considering it, and also the large size of the panel, the panel has recieved excellent reviews as the top plasma on the market, great blacks and the list can go on and on.

There is only one drawback, the DVI card doesn't accept 720p/50 or 1080i/50, however some people says you can overcome this by adding a scaler and converting everyting to 1366x768/60.

Right! what does HDCP say about converting a HDCP protected 720p/50 signal into 1366x768/60? will it acccept that or just refuse doing it?

Is it a cheap solution doing this? will i notice the judder that it will distract me?

Let's talk about the other plasmas....

The real caveat is that i think 42" is a bit too small for me and the distance i am sitting at, approx 3 meter.

The Pioneer 43XDE" would be acceptable, that extra inch makes some differences really, however i don't really like the idea with a separate mediabox to route everything thru, but the Pioneer is very futurproof for SkyHD and everything in that it supports the 50Hz resolutions and it got HDMI.

Also people say the analogue ports on the Pioneer XDE/FDE/HDE is pretty bad compared to HDMI so that makes me worry that i won't be satisfied.

So when we look at the PDP-43/50MXE1 models they don't accept HDCP thru it's port, however i could buy the card from Aurora Systems that supports HDCP, that will add extra cost however, how much i don't know???

So let's say i bought the MXE1 model with the Aurora Systems board, would that make it a better panel than the Panny TH-50PHW6?

Last we have the TH-42PHD7, pretty small at 42" only but i could live with it, would i benefit anything from buying that? it's smaller, lower res.......

2. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It would bother the **** out of me, but that's just me.

Out of the Plasmas you list, that would be my choice. Although that Samsung DLP rear-pro mentioned on another thread (SP50L7HX) has got to be a contender - size, future proofing?, 1280x720 resolution, contrast/brightness to rival plasma. Worth a demo, surely?

3. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help, does the Panny deliver a respectable picture without a separate scaler? as i can't afford a scaler for another months.

4. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the Samsung DLP, i don't think it delivers the quality i want, the picture is not up to the standards i am used to and the design with the pedestal makes me sick really, it's just to much American chrome........

5. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the prices on the Pioneer 505XDE is falling right now, £3909 cheapest now in the U.K

Maybe i should wait that in so it falls down to £3500 and then buy it which can't be that long before it reaches that level.

The XDE got everything you could dream of, pretty good scaling, HDMI that works with 50Hz SKyHD and a nice design.

Not the problems Panasonic is having right now, Pioneer just works out of the box.

6. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Lizzard,

That's a bloody good price for the 505XDE !

Regards,

Stan.

7. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i know, they are falling fast now.

Look at www.pricerunner.co.uk

8. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Don't overlook NEC 50XR4. Fully compatible with Sky HD 720p/50 and 1080i/50 through HDCP DVI. Great picture quality with characteristics between Panasonic and Pioneer. For more information do a search on this forum. Another plus point is a comprehensive 2 year warranty. Price approximately £3.9k.

The only drawback is that they are difficult to find and it is even more difficult to get a worthwhile demonstration. Liam at Progressive AV is a very helpful dealer but has no demo facilities.

Hope this will not complicate your choice

9. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you are right, i have been thinking of the XR4 in my backhead all the time as it is at the same price level right now and you get rid of that silly mediabox and you can add a scaler to it later on and easily and connect it thru DVI.

I saw the 42XR3 earlier this week and it had the best picture of them all, it was the most CRT-like picture i ever seen on a plasma, close at second place was Panasonic and Pioneer at third place.

They were all displaying the HD1 HDTV channel from satellite.

10. Oblomov

Oblomov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Lizzard,

Glad you are considering the NEC. I am told that the 42 and 50 inch models are technically similar so picture quality much the same.

Please could you tell me where you demo' ed the XR3 as I would really like to see one working properly. I am in the market for a 42 inch plasma and have decided that the NEC is the only sensible choice after analysing all the data I could collect. I just need to see one.

For what it is worth, I have seen the Pioneer with a top quality HCPC and was appalled. I just cannot live with the lack of black levels. The dark scenes in LOTR looked truly awful with grey backgrounds, not black. Also, if you are interested in football or other sports there was a lot of judder on the Pioneer. The PC was performing high quality video processing and outputting to native resolution at 60hz but the Pioneer was automatically FRCing to 70 or 75hz, hence the appalling judder. I am told that this is not correctable but I have not bothered to confirm this because I have definitely decided I don't want one. Incidentally, I have also demo' ed the same PC with the PHD7 and the judder very much reduced, with the black levels improved beyond comparison.

Both demos were on 42/43 inch models so the judder issue would be magnified on a 50.

Hope this is of some help, and hope you are going to tell me that your XR3 demo was in the south of England.

11. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to inform you that i do not live in the U.K so i can't recommend any place to get a demo :)

12. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only plasma that stand out of all, including Pioneer 435XDE, Panny PW7, Philips, and LG, it was the NEC XR3.

You could clearly see that the NEC was above all others in quality, i said to myself, that ONE is REALLY good.

Looked at the Pioneer 435XDE again and told myself "That damn plasma noise is on every Pioneer i've seen"

However it was much better in this regard when showing HD1 HDTV channel.

Panasonic was good! however Panny lacks the features people talk about with upcoming SkyHD and all that stuff as you already know.