• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

So Confused with Technology.. What is a streamer?

1ntense

Ok, Ill start off by saying that I suppose that you could say that I was 'old school'

By that, I mean that technology wise. I use a laptop for internet browsing, have recently aquired a Blackberry Playbook which I use over wifi, have a couple of HDTVs and an old Dell PC that never gets used.

I feel that Im missing out on a lot by not understanding the new technology thats been coming out over the years. Im currently trying to get my head around apps and smartphones and have just started to get a taste for the big world of music that is readily available through all this new tech.

Internet Radio is something that really appeals to me, I was thinking about getting one but then am thinking that if I get the new phone that I want (Samsung Galaxy S3) then I can just use the apps on there like tunein and spotify etc and plug them into some active speakers that I have (AE Aego M) and wouldnt need the radio unless I wanted it for the portability aspect.

When it comes to streaming, Ive got a PS3 but have absolutely no idea how to use it as a streamer, though I think it is capable of doing such things?

Im just massively overwhelmed by all the technology in all honesty and wish I had someone to show me and explain things to me properly!

Im so confused, I dont even know what questions it is I want/need to ask.. If someone could give me some kind of explaination on how and what a streamer does and is, as well as what a NAS is that would be great. Also if its not too much trouble, I hear a lot of mentioning of these things which have stuck in my head for some reason (I think I want them but really dont know what they do or why I may want them :/) The names of these things are Popcorn Hour, Buffalo NAS, Apple TV, Some type of Hub for all my music/films/photos (thinking PS3 but open to suggestions) Logitech Sqeezebox Touch/Boom/Radio.

I think thats it for now haha, sorry for the long post. Im just so bamboozed by all this stuff and would be so grateful if someone could help me understand :smashin:

Cheers

Dan

Steven

Senior Moderator
Check this sticky out: http://www.avforums.com/forums/ps3-...ide-video-audio-photo-streaming-playback.html

Which incidentally contains basic concepts applicable to media or music streamers
as well as what a NAS is that would be great.
Unlike hard drives which connect directly to your computer via usb, a Nas houses several hard drives which connects to your network via your wireless router. Anything connected to your network can access the files stores on the Nas, be it your computer, tablet, laptop, games console, or streamer

MadScientist

Basically it’s a device that ultimately provides easy access to all your media but along the way potentially causes an immense amount of frustration requiring you to learn more amount about computer networking, file sharing, security protocols and video ripping than you ever really wanted to. :)

next010

Distinguished Member
Media streaming is a pretty broad term but what it really boils down to are 3 usage patterns.

1) Cloud/Internet streaming, your a user of services like iTunes, Spotify or Netflix and viewing media stored on their servers.
2) Local media streaming, you have media stored on your PC or NAS and a media player accesses those files to play them.
3) Pushing media, you send/push media stored one one device to other devices using Airplay or other similar tech.

Various devices can be capable of any combination of the above. The PS3 only supports 1 and 2.

Option 1 is limited by what Sony provide access to so you cannot enable access to other services.

Option 2 works on the PS3 by using DLNA (a network protocol), you install a DLNA server on your PC, add folders to be scanned by the DLNA server and on the PS3 under video you will see the server along with those listings. Serviio is a free DLNA server you can use and a good one at that.

The best thing to do is to try it all out and see how it works for yourself then the terminology and options open to you start to seem less overwhelming.

PE06MCG

Basically it’s a device that ultimately provides easy access to all your media but along the way potentially causes an immense amount of frustration requiring you to learn more amount about computer networking, file sharing, security protocols and video ripping than you ever really wanted to. :)

This has been my experience reminding me of recent and earlier frustrations..

Many thanks 'MadScientist' for this 'tongue in cheek' reply.

For the OP can I say I am still enjoying my learning experience and rely on the magnificent technical knowledge of all forum members together with their undoubted patience.

I am sure you will enjoy the whole process.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom