So, being blackmailed into learning to drive a cage..

Monty Burns

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

So, my GF has given me permission to learn to fly a plane but only on condition I learn to drive a car at the same time (1 flying lesson for every 2 car lessons).

My question is this:

I have a full, clean motorbike license (all CC's) thats about 8 or 9 years old, so, what do I need to pass to drive a car? Do I need another theory? Whats this awareness thing all about? Obviously, I'm expecting to do a "car driving test" but if anyone could clarify the other stuff I need to do, that would be really cool.

What category is car provisional?

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

I can't comment on the current driving test as its been some years since I took mine.

But I didn't drive a car until 4 years after passing my bike test, and it made the car test fairly easy. The obvious reason is you already have road craft, awareness and confidence. You also know what a clutch does and the controls between a bike and a car are basically the same, albeit in a different position :D

I sent off for my driving test before having a lesson, and when the date came through I had a weeks notice. I took a week of lessons with BSM and passed first time. I remember the look on the womans face in BSM when I walked in for the first time and said 'I have my test next week and have never had a lesson'

I think the driving test is a little more complicated these days, but you should still find it a doddle due to your experience :)

Cheers for the vote of confidence! :thumbsup:

Now i just need to find out which exams I need to do ...

Afternoon monty.

you don't HAVE to pass a test to drive SOME cars :D

Reliant.jpg

First you will need to send off for a provisional licence...

Then take a theory test which includes a hazard perception test....

Then book a driving test and pass :thumbsup:

You may want some lessons in there too.

Afternoon monty.

you don't HAVE to pass a test to drive SOME cars :D

Reliant.jpg

Altogether now:

'We've got some half price cracked ice and miles and miles of carpet tiles,
T.V.s, deep freeze and David Bowie L.P.s,
Ball games, gold chains, whassa-names, and at a push,
Some Trevor Francis track suits from a mush in Shepherds Bush,
Bush, bush, bush, bush, bush, bush, bush ...
No income tax, no V.A.T.,
No money back, no guarantee etc etc '

:rotfl:Cheers for the 'rid's, always a giggle.

I think I already have a provisional from when I was 17 (over 15 years ago, does it expire?) which is why I asked which catagory it is.

So, Theory (bah! Been practicing the theory for years! Only diferent thing is braking distances) and Perception and then of course, a few lessons and a practical. Cheers for that! :thumbsup:

:rotfl:Cheers for the 'rid's, always a giggle.

I think I already have a provisional from when I was 17 (over 15 years ago, does it expire?) which is why I asked which catagory it is.

So, Theory (bah! Been practicing the theory for years! Only diferent thing is braking distances) and Perception and then of course, a few lessons and a practical. Cheers for that! :thumbsup:
Yer thats it, but imo the car test is a lot harder than the bike test!

Your provisional licence expires after 10 years, if your learning to fly a plane im sure the car test will be easy :thumbsup:

Your full bike licence carries provisional entitlement to drive the car. No need to trouble DVLA further until you pass. Then you return your licence with the pass certificate and the car group is added to it.

Yes take some lessons , you should have developed good road sense/awareness on the bike but as mentioned above the car practical test is a lot harder for some people to pass.
I"m just started teaching a biker and have been a little suprised at his lack of confidence on the road ( I have to urge him to make progress ) , having said that his brother also a biker was excellent in the car.

HI Guys

thanks for the answers :thumbsup:

So, as long as I have cat B on my license i'm good to go (sadly) :mad:

Spose i might as well by a people carrier, get some trousers rather than jeans and pull them up round my chest.... guess i'm old now.:D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom