So 3D is dead in mainstream televisions but what if manufacturers offered a 3D option?

Captain Ron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking at some point to replace my aged and lightly cooked LG 55E6 with a new display. As the awesome passive 3D support is an option I wish to preserve this would seem to be pointing me towards projection but it occurs to me that there must be more than me interested in preserving their 3D bluray playback.

What if TV manufacturers allowed us to specify 3D support as an additional cost option accepting that it is a niche interest. If LG were to offer say their latest range as is but for a sensible top up fee allow us to order the TV 3D enabled (firmware support options reinstated and unlocked and polarisation layer added) would you consider paying extra for it? I know I certainly would consider a £500 top up to specify 3D support on a new TV considering that I am looking at multiple thousands if I go the projector route.

It wouldn't be £500. You would be talking thousands of pounds for a low production run option.
I'd still consider it to outfit an emissive display if it was significantly less than a quality projector.

Ironically, the huge (70"+) TVs available these days are getting closer to the size where 3D would have much more of an impact in the home, rather than the 40"+ models that were common when 3D TVs first took off just over 10 years ago. Saying that, I really used to enjoy the odd 3D movie on my 46" plasma but the chunky, active Panasonic 3D glasses weren't that comfortable to wear, especially on top of normal glasses. Passive 3D definitely seemed to be the better option - as far as comfort was concerned at least.

While what you're suggesting is a cool idea, you used the word 'niche' and I think that is the problem these days - with little to no new 3D content being produced and the focus shifting to HDR, 4K and even 8K to shift TVs, 3D has been left behind as a bit of a niche hobby, which is a shame.

Here's a trip down memory lane...

Maybe James Cameron is readying 3D with 4K per eye for Avatar 2/3 and then a wave of 8K 3D TVs will emerge with backward compatibility for 3D bluray. It's the only thing that would convince me to upgrade from a 4K to an 8K display.

Ironically, the huge (70"+) TVs available these days are getting closer to the size where 3D would have much more of an impact in the home, rather than the 40"+ models that were common when 3D TVs first took off just over 10 years ago. Saying that, I really used to enjoy the odd 3D movie on my 46" plasma but the chunky, active Panasonic 3D glasses weren't that comfortable to wear, especially on top of normal glasses. Passive 3D definitely seemed to be the better option - as far as comfort was concerned at least.

While what you're suggesting is a cool idea, you used the word 'niche' and I think that is the problem these days - with little to no new 3D content being produced and the focus shifting to HDR, 4K and even 8K to shift TVs, 3D has been left behind as a bit of a niche hobby, which is a shame.

Here's a trip down memory lane...

That was cool and yes, passive 3D when done right as on the last generation of LG 3D capable TVs like my E6 could indeed be spectacular. The LG glasses are super light,comfortable and have a higher transparency than regular cinema passive Real3D glasses. So much so that I take mine with me to the cinema when the 3D urge takes me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom