Snowpiercer Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Just a 6/10 at best for this movie for me. Reasonably enjoyable, but very predictable. I've seen post-apocalyptic / distopian futures done far better than this in other movies.

Perhaps I missed something with this film or I'm not "deep" enough to appreciate its message but I would give this a 7/10 at most. It was ok and decent enough tale but it just didn't grab me. Was a bit "meh" by it all.

G

I remember watching this years ago and not liking much. So i checked imbd what rating i gave and ohh 1/10. Which surprised me because parasite was a 9

Thanks for the Review Cas. Somehow I have never got around to watching this - it was even I believe free on Amazon Prime Germany for a while. But definitely on the watch list now!

Excellent review Cas thank you, 7 years my goodness!

What a story just trying to see this film at the cinema "frustration" let alone own it, not fun memories.

For myself i didn't wait, still I was lucky enough to have a South Korean work colleague also a Bong fan to translate the film's missing subtitles. The film is genius on so many levels as is the original graphic novel Le Transperceneige "1982". I may very well double dip & add this release to my box set if i do not win the competition :D

20200524_102959.jpg

And if you haven't seen it do yourselves a favour and check out Okja its on Netfilx but if you really want to explore this mans work i suggest you start with Barking Dogs Never Bite & Memories of Murder followed by of course The "wonderful" Host.

Last edited:
Great review would concur with the 9, wonderful movie, hoping the series will expand and enhance the snowpiercer world.

Easily an under-rated materpiece, I also bought the boxset but did not have a translator for the korean subtitles @KiLLiNG-TiME ;)

This really is a brilliant film with a unique idea and really strong visuals that thankfully has a meaty storyline to play off of with its equally brilliant cast, I'd definitely agree with Cas and say this deserves to be a 9/10

Great review would concur with the 9, wonderful movie, hoping the series will expand and enhance the snowpiercer world.
Am hoping they stayed with the graphic novels for the TV series?
(just checked it starts on Monday on Netflix).

Last edited:
A cultured review there, Cas.
If you love the film, for goodness sake don't watch the new series, as it is truly dire.
The film massively hangs on that underclass angle and. if taken up by the viewer, can work really well in the grunge and fight back against a seriously dark elite rule. Moreover, of course, the ideal of maintaining the status quo of both the literal and figurative machine over man at all costs - to quote Star Trek's The Borg: Our survival, is your survival.
There's so many reasons why the story is absurd and with it, why bother sticking with it? But I loved getting down with the underclass and its fightback to humanity, whilst revelling a little in just how dark the elite 'legitimate' passengers were and the depths they'd unquestioningly go to in the main. It likewise mirrors the position of taking both privileged luxury and the basics from people and see just how far and quickly they'll begin to devolve to fight for it - pandemic, anyone?!
This will be hitting my screen and audio system soon. It's a comforting thought to have a film that's been given such care, to be able to just sit in escapist wonder.

Snowpiercer is a film I’ve been interested in for a long time. I added it to Amazon Prime watchlist just before they removed it. :facepalm: I didn’t watch it straightaway as I wasn’t sure which version I’d be watching (only wanted to see the edit as intended by the director).

Reminds me of the studio interference of the dystopian sci-fi classic Brazil.

This has been available on Amazon Prime with a really really good 1080p copy available there. Watched it a long time ago and rewatched it a week after getting to see Parasite.

I was initially confused with this as I was sure I'd tried to watch this a while back on Netflix or prime.
Never finished it, other half fell asleep and I recall thinking 'it's hunger games on a train'. Don't recall thinking much of it, although I don't even remember Chris Evans being in it! It clearly didn't grab me :laugh:

I expected to see you in a snow piercer thread @mclingo :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well I decided to watch Snowpiercer on Film 4 last night...

And I wish I hadn't bothered! Unbelievably stupid. I had to turn off after about 40? minutes because it was annoying me so much. The concept is just so daft. OK its "sci-fi" of a sort but I imagine its also supposed to be realistic and set in our world some years ahead? Honestly...I noticed so many errors and laughable plot holes I actually lost count. Here's one - who the hell maintains the train tracks?! I had a quick look at IMDB and this is a real marmite film. There's plenty saying its one of the best dystopian films ever (yeah right) and others castigating it and pointing out the many errors.

Not for me! :confused::thumbsdow

I've gained lots of insight and some great recommendations from Mr. Harlow on here and I'm usually in agreement with his reviews of films that I've already seen etc
But this one I just don't get. I paid for it last night on prime after reading this review, thinking I'd missed a real gem - it never really appealed to me - just a feeling.
So I went for it.
Mr. Harlow, you owe me £3.50 :D:D

I enjoyed this, but not actually sure how I'd score it. One of those films that is difficult to pin down.

Will need to watch it again.

Went to buy this on Amazon* and HMV and it’s sold out on both sites already - very odd. May just rent it on Prime if it’s not back in stock this week.

Never seen it before and thinking of watching it before seeing the TV series.

*I’m not including third party sellers.

This was a great watch, I recall enjoying it quite a lot!

Will have to revisit the film now, Thanks Cas :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom