Snow, schools, health and safety

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by reddevil63, Feb 4, 2009.

1. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Still can't believe the amount of schools that closed because of the snow!

When I was at school in the early 70's snow was even worse then and schools didn't close.

Today they say schools close because of health and safety, and the likelyhood of compensation claims against schools if a child gets hurt.

Then I read this:

BBC NEWS | England | South Yorkshire | Teenage girl dies in sledge crash

2. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    Schools have a Health and Safety officer, they have to come in and determine if there's a suitable risk of injury from the weather. If they get it wrong they are liable and can be prosecuted by the HSE.

Whose going to take the risk?

Terrible tragedy about the young lady .....

3. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    So its ok when the weather is too hot or too wet?

Kids will hurt themselves whatever the weather.

Can understand a school closes if flooding occurs.

4. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,046
    My wife and I said exactly the same yesterday and then thought about it and concluded:

The problem is not the kids getting to school but the teachers. These days, teachers live further afield and commute to school over reasonable distances. So they get hit by icy roads just like the rest of us.

Now back in the 70s commuting patterns were a lot different. Car ownership wasn't as high. People generally lived much closer to work. I imagine this was particularly true of teachers.

Plus we were a lot more robust back then :D

Cheers,

Nigel

5. johnny-17

johnny-17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Schools being unable to open because of lack of staff is one thing but the matter of health and safety is quite another !
    So it snows a bit. It used to do that sometimes in the winter.
    Kids fall over ALL the time in ANY weather - fact .
    Problem is kids and parents can't usually take advantage of H & S when it comes to dry weather accidents, but when there's ice and/or snow, you can almost see folks adding up the compo in their heads as clearing paths comes down to the magic 'someone' else = someone else to blame.
    Being able to blame and claim is just a nice bonus these days as most folk now regard it as free money, just sitting there waiting to be claimed - God bless America , such a long list of great things they've given us !

6. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Very true.

Kids today are too pampered and wrapped up in cotton wool!

How are kids suppose to learn about risks if they are kept away from them?

7. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,046
    My son is a member of a really good scout group and they are a breath of fresh air.

They do all sorts of stuff - shooting, kayaking, rafting, pioneering, camping - in a good safe way but without any of the PC pampering.

I remember when he first joined and we were invited down to the campsite to see what they get upto.

Split up in to patrols of six, they were shown how to use and transport axes and bowsaws safely, how to build, light and tend fires and how to whittle with knifes. With the instructions and the safety talk over they were simply left to get on with it - with a check up now and then to see how they were doing.

My son was at 'Freeze Camp' last weekend. A 3 day camp, under canvas, in very cold conditions - even snowed on the last day.

Each patrol is responsible for sorting out there own tent, building and maintaining the fire and doing their own cooking.

I'm really impressed what young children (oldest is 14) can do when they are given sensible instruction and given the freedom to be responsible.

Cheers,

Nigel

8. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Good stuff, scouts have always been a good thing.

Good life skills learnt and learning to live and adapt in different environments, nothing wrong with that.

Probably one day the good old H&S will get their teeth into the scouts, I hope not.

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

The problem with schools closing under "snowy" conditions, is not only related to teachers/pupils getting to/from the school. Nor is it only to do with health-and-safety.

It's really to do with modern-day petty bureaucracy and red-tape!

Unfortunately, since the days of the 1960's, 70's and 80's when many of us did used to go to school during extreme winter conditions, the law has got more and more complex, and has resulted in lots of people with a lot of power, dictating what others can or cannot do.

Henceforth, I shall call these people the "jobsworths".

These "jobsworths" dictate that if there is even the remotest chance that someone is liable to be blamed for not doing (or even actually doing) something, then the only viable solution, is to stop everyone from getting near the affected area. Just in case...

It's the whole "blame" culture!

Twenty years ago, kids (and adults) had accidents. You fell of your bike, you had a bit of a scrap with friends, but went a little too far, or whatever. In those days, we all got up afterwards, and then continued on.

Now, kids and adults are constantly told "You must not do this, or else", and we no longer have the right to do many things we used to, because of petty bureacracy! If anyone defies them, they are severely penalised - usually financially, or in extreme cases, job losses!

Sadly, today, it's not possible for average human beings to be allowed to think for ourselves. We have to be told all of the time, what to do, or what not to do. And it's because the powers that be know that if we are allowed to think for ourselves, then we have freedoms: freedom to chose, freedom to say what we think and feel. And, alas, the powers that be, don't want us to have that kind of freedom! They want us to be kept under their thumb! :mad: So they dictate what we can and can't do, and then threaten us in various ways, if we don't conform!

That is the problem!

Pooch

10. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    Couldn't have put it any better!

Have to agree about the can't do that, can't do this marlarkey. Even stuff within the law is subjected to this. Its just gone all crazy and its the now and future generations that will suffer. Then maybe not as by that time they will won't know any better. Scary stuff!

Jeez, whats it going to be like in 20 years time? :eek:

I think George Orwell got the date wrong when he wrote 1984.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009