• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Snow on blacks on LCD screen

Addnan

Standard Member
This is a typical LCD phenomenom. Buy a plasma:thumbsup:
Is it possible to repair this problem? If so how much will it cost, or will I be better of spending £300ish on a new tv?

A friend was telling me that the input could have noise. I have no idea what noise is. They were saying something about a TCON and a video board, again I don't know anything about TV hardware so have no idea what that means.

Last edited:

peahead

Prominent Member
I think it might be time for you to invest in a new tv a repair will prob cost more than your tv is worth.

Addnan

Standard Member
What a load of cobblers.

The set has a fault. Probably a Vestel chassis. And likely to be beyond economic repair.
Aww, so it won't be worth repairing the TV.

I guess I'll just wait until Decemeber and buy something for around £300 during the sales.

Thanks.

vickster

Distinguished Member
You can get the Samsung B350 and 450 for around £300 from Richer Sounds (latter is £350 from JL with 5 year warranty) (there are also a couple of budget LG 32s too). These may come down in the sales or as special offers, they may not.

S Bibby

Established Member
Hi,
Haven't heard of Lexsor before but that doesn't look good. From what I've read on these forums the inverters often go first on LCD TVs and these will cost a considerable amount to fix.

Apparently they are a Chinese Brand so it is unlikely to be Vestel, who tend to subcontract for the larger Brands ie. JVC/Toshiba.

GGTVBD

Prominent Member
Hi,
Haven't heard of Lexsor before but that doesn't look good. From what I've read on these forums the inverters often go first on LCD TVs and these will cost a considerable amount to fix.

Apparently they are a Chinese Brand so it is unlikely to be Vestel, who tend to subcontract for the larger Brands ie. JVC/Toshiba.

My mistake. Read it as Luxor. Der... :rolleyes: They are usually Vestel. Lexsor aren't, as Bibby_83 quite rightly says.

Same diagnosis though...

The most common failing on LCD's is actually power supplies, not inverters. But they do give trouble also. This isn't from what I've read. It's from experience of repairing the bloody things, day in, day out. :(

The Toshiba 32AV615DB at £300 is a decent buy.

S Bibby

Established Member
Troll,
Isn't that Toshiba model a Vestel? I know it might be off topic but I think the serial number on the back has no letter. The AV635 series has L, which I think stands for LG S-IPS panel - there are others with A/C/K letters which I believe stand for panel manufacturers ie. AUO/CMO/Samsung. The Toshiba 32RV635 which is supposed to be an S-PVA panel has K on the back and retails at £400.

I have no idea what panels Vestel use, which is partly why I am curious about them.

Edit: Also, the Lexsor website states that their European offices are in Cork, Ireland so it might be worth sending an email (since the staff have English).

Addnan

Standard Member
I emailed Lexsor few days ago, but havn't got a reply. I read somewhere they closed down, but not sure.

I'll probably end up buy a new tv. I like the look of Samsung TVs, but the smaller ones have very poor sound and are quite annoying to game on because of that. Can someone link me to some good tv's within £300? I don't mind Samsung, but would like something that has half decent sound.

Thank you for all the help so far.

GGTVBD

Prominent Member
Again, the Toshiba is, in my humble opinion, a great budget 32" LCD. Not a fan of Samsung (repair far too many of 'em), or LG's for that matter (for the same reason). Although the newer ones seem to have improved somewhat.

I always look at sets primarily from the service side of things. Of course the performance comes into it but they have to have a proven track record of reliability and manufacturer backup/support for me to recommend them.

For this reason, I've always said Panasonic, Sony or Toshiba. Been saying it for 25 years! :rolleyes: But I have to say the support from Panasonic and Sony has been poor over the last few years. Can't say the same for Toshiba though. Quite the opposite in fact. Their support, even on (sometimes well) out of warranty products is quite simply superb.

Bibby_83 - As for the Vestel link is concerned - the electronics most certainly aren't! As far as the panels are concerned - I've never had a faulty one in a Toshiba, so I can't say which panels are used in which sets. But I will look into it and report back if you like.

:)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom