• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Snooker UK Championships

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Bit disgusted at the lower frame count for wins and I know Selby and Trumps fluking will make me rage - but still...so good having Snooker back!!!

inzaman

It is great to have it back, can't wait to see Trump playing again. I just hope he continues where he left off in April - even my wife found watching snooker exciting for a change :cool:

Soundburst

In Memoriam
It is great to have it back, can't wait to see Trump playing again. I just hope he continues where he left off in April - even my wife found watching snooker exciting for a change :cool:

Well I'm glad your wife likes it. . .more people watching the better!

You just need to help her out with her taste. . .aiming for a pot and having the balls miss and then go around 4 cushions and go in a totally different pocket isn't good!

Switch625

Prominent Member
The Higgins vs McLeod game was pretty intense, so close and then a couple of flukes saw Higgins go through.

Ronnie played well in his match against Steve Davis, hope he can keep it up for the rest of the tournament.

Not sure about Trump, he was great in the World Champs but hasn't made much of an impact since, other than winning one of the PTC's recently.

I think Gould will be one to watch, having won Power Snooker recently he should be fired up to go far.

plazmoid

Established Member
Anyone watching this trump match. His flukes make me rage. Two massive ones in the same table visit.

Been a good game so far. I don't really mind flukes as everyone gets them from time to time but you've just got to laugh and get with on it when that sort of thing happens.

I reckon Trump gets more than your average number of flukes purely because he plays with a gung-ho attitude and when he gets a bit stuck he hits the ball as hard as possible which makes it all the more likely he's gonna get a fluke.

Switch625

Prominent Member
Thought Dale was the more deserving of the 2 but can't deny that Trump is fun to watch. His recklessness can easily be his undoing though.

Quite a comeback from 4-2 down to take 4 frames in a row and get through. Looking forward to tomorrow's match with Ronnie :)

Steven

Senior Moderator
Trying to catch as much as I can on channel 301 around work. Bit of a shame the second biggest tourney has been cut down in frames, Allen makes a point about Hearn's u-turn. Have no problem with the music, scantily clad girls and whatever but not everyone has a short attention span. Pretty soon snooker could find itself in conflict as cricket has done with test cricket vs 20/20 and at the beck and call of sponsors and tv broadcast partners

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Thats absolutely disgusting. Seriously disgusting. Ronnie was winning that until he got a kick.

How does Trump do it? Who does he pray to?

Flukes through the match yesterday against Dale.
Wins the match today based on Ronnie getting shafted by the table.

It's an absolute injustice.

Switch625

Prominent Member
Yeah gutted for Ronnie. Although to be fair he did miss some easy balls in earlier frames.

I think nerves got to both of them and in the end it was anybody's game.

Soundburst

In Memoriam
I understand why Ronnie hates the sport at times.

Playing your heart out for 5 frames. . .being dead in the water in the final only to pull off great shots to go on to win. . . .then to get a kick and lose the game.

Unbelievable stuff.

How the interviewer can say "well won" to Trump is beyond me.

plazmoid

Established Member
I wouldn't go so far as to call it disgusting but it was shaping up to be a re-spotted black which would have been a belter.

Cracking match though.

Switch625

Prominent Member
Ricky Walden played well to knock Mark Williams out. I reckon he could go through to the semis if he keeps it up.

What a turnaround for Martin Gould! 5-0 down and then wins 6 frames to go through!

plazmoid

Established Member
Ricky Walden played well to knock Mark Williams out. I reckon he could go through to the semis if he keeps it up.

What a turnaround for Martin Gould! 5-0 down and then wins 6 frames to go through!

Hate to say it but Murphy went through 6-4. Good match though, enjoyed it.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Big names falling does no harm. More variety in the latter stages of tournaments just means the standard is rising
Cracking match though.
Great match, Ronnie's moaning aside. Don't feed the troll, he was at it about Trump "fluking" it to the WC final and "fluking" it still to the 1/4's of the second biggest ranking event :rolleyes:

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Loved Selby's face when Fu fluked a pot in the 5-3 frame :D :D He has fluked for 4 years in a row at the top level :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Soundburst

In Memoriam
Hold on . . . i thought that only Trump and Selby fluked pots.;)

That's why it's hilarious!

To see someone fluke against Selby is a real rarity as he's the master fluke along with trump and Robertson (who also go for shots - miss - and then leave nothin on or even fluke a snooker!!!).*

It seems Trump has somehow absorbed selbys fluke powers this season :):)

mason1

Banned
Is there anyone more annoying then Ricky Walden to watch?

Neil Robertson for the tournament me thinks now he is playing awesome. He is the cleanest potter in the game and has a excellent game tactically too. Hope he wins, Trump is a pretty good but boy he is fluky.

I think Mark Allen has a chance also at the title but Robertson looks favourite for me, hope Walden gets smashed annoying to watch him, slow boring and he is also very fluky.

Snooker is being taken to a new standard so many frames now being won after opponent breaks frightening the standard is.

Ali Carter is retiring it seems, as is Ronnie O'Sullivan, mind you with O'Sullivan he wants to retire after every tournament he exits for the last 5 years. Think Carter might be serious.

I must say 6 frames is just not good enough for the second biggest tournament in Snooker so hope Barry Hearn has a rethink regarding this matter. It probably suits the lesser players more playing best of 11 i.e Walden.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I must say 6 frames is just not good enough for the second biggest tournament in Snooker so hope Barry Hearn has a rethink regarding this matter. It probably suits the lesser players more playing best of 11 i.e Walden.
Big mistake for me to only have best of 11 in the quarters. Don't think "lesser" players is correct; they still have to make it past two rounds. Rather less room for error that does not fit right with the 2nd biggest ranking event. It's not a minor shoot-out hosted on Eurosport :rolleyes:

mason1

Banned
Sick of the bias commentary.

The say Neil was lucky yeah maybe he was but no one was as lucky as that guy Judd Trump how many flukes has he had in the tournament? If it wasn't for flukes Mr D Dale might well have knocked him out by now.

BBC are so far up Trumps backside it is annoying come on Neil.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom