• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sniffs PJ and Plasma Living Room Home Theatre

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
I've gone through a few iterations of my home theatre in the last few years but this is the first time I've gotten around to posting pics. You'll have to excuse the quality but my camera isnt great

We originally had very light walls and a blue carpet but I managed to persuade Mrs Sniff to let me darken things up a little this year. As usual with a living room its turned out as a compromise between looks, useability and performance. We had quite a few debates over the colour of the carpet and the lighter walls - I obviously wanted to keep things as dark as possible to improve on the PJ's performance. I think we've achieved a good look and its a nice warm room to watch a film in

Speaker placement was a bit of a nightmare due to the room shape and dual screens. I ended up with the centre and right front under the plasma and the left front on the other side of the room as it works better with the PJ screen. Front right should be higher but theres not a lot I can do because of the fireplace and the Kef brackets

Kit List:

Plasma: TH42PZ85
PJ: JVC HD1
Screen: Beamax 106"
Bluray\DVD: Dune Prime 3.0
12Tb NAS
VP: DVDO Iscan Duo
AVR: Denon 1909
Speakers: Kef 2003.5 @6.1
Sky HD
Harmony 885 remote

I've got MyMovies running on the Prime and networked directly into the NAS. I dont bother with DVD's these days and have about 300+ Bluray ISO's ripped. All accessible via the Dunes front end :thumbsup:
All our music and photos are also playable via the Dune

I used to have a Lumagen HDP as a VP but recently got the Duo. Works great as a switch for both displays as it has dual outputs. I also have both dipslays fully calibrated using Chromapure so greyscale, gamma and colour are pretty near perfect using the Duo's CMS etc

The room has been knocked through previously so managed to mount the PJ screen behind the RSJ, keeps it nice and discreet. PJ is ceiling mounted and all cables are stitched through the upstairs ceiling so are invisible

I also would have liked to put my consoles in here but its awkward because of the kids. They have their own separate playroom with a 37" lcd, sofa, Wii, PS3 and Media Centre PC linked to the house NAS for films, music etc

November2010113.jpg

November2010114.jpg

November2010115.jpg

November2010116.jpg

November2010117.jpg

November2010118.jpg

November2010120.jpg

November2010122.jpg

November2010124.jpg

November2010123.jpg

November2010116.jpg

November2010125.jpg

November2010134.jpg

November2010135.jpg

November2010136.jpg

Last edited:

Dan Baker

Looks great nicely done and 300 Blu Rips to boot you must be racking up the TB's!

Also quite strangely I'm 99% confident that I've viewed your house before am I right in thinking you had it on the market about 18 months ago?

I remember the PJ and the exercise equipment in the extension!

Wouldn't it be funny if I'm completely wrong....

Cheers,
Dan.

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
Looks great nicely done and 300 Blu Rips to boot you must be racking up the TB's!

Also quite strangely I'm 99% confident that I've viewed your house before am I right in thinking you had it on the market about 18 months ago?

I remember the PJ and the exercise equipment in the extension!

Wouldn't it be funny if I'm completely wrong....

Cheers,
Dan.

We has it on the market about 4 years ago now so could it have been then ? The exercise machine you can see is in the kids playroom
We are in Addlestone, Surrey if that helps :)

Last edited:

Dan Baker

We has it on the market about 4 years ago now so could it have been then ? The exercise machine you can see is in the kids playroom
We are in Addlestone, Surrey if that helps :)

:blush:

Ha ha I couldn't be more wrong! strange though as it's a almost identical layout to the house we view in Bournemouth right down to where the PJ and screen were and the excercise machine.

That will teach me for trying to be clever.

Nice place once again!

ahaydock

Looking good and I have the same Advent Calendar lol!

alpha10

I like the way the projector screen drops down in the gap between rooms.

Have you thought about running a black curtain on a rail behind the screen all the way across and down to the floor to mask all round the screen, would do wonders for your contrast?

sniffer66

Distinguished Member
I like the way the projector screen drops down in the gap between rooms.

Have you thought about running a black curtain on a rail behind the screen all the way across and down to the floor to mask all round the screen, would do wonders for your contrast?

I've had some thoughts about improving contrast but I've not been able to get anything like the curtian idea or front of screen bat-caving past my wife. The room was a lot lighter a few years back and I mpved to a high contrast grey screen to compensate. i know its not great but its a lot darker than it was :)

The light reflection issues I do have arent really behind the screen to be honest. With all the lights off, the screen appears to sit in absolute blackness as the walls behind are so far away I dont get any light bouncing back. The real issues are between the PJ and screen - the carpet is still quite light and there is a big mirror on the left. The RSJ'd wall where the the screen drops from behind is the worst and I was hoping to paint that chocolate brown as well but got overruled - apparently "You should only have one dark wall where the chimney is - its a feature !" :rolleyes:
I have a dark rug on order so that will help on the floor hopefully. One day I hope to get a dedicated room and outfit it entirely in black velvet but until then its battles with the missus :D:smashin:

alpha10

I've had some thoughts about improving contrast but I've not been able to get anything like the curtian idea or front of screen bat-caving past my wife. The room was a lot lighter a few years back and I mpved to a high contrast grey screen to compensate. i know its not great but its a lot darker than it was :)

The light reflection issues I do have arent really behind the screen to be honest. With all the lights off, the screen appears to sit in absolute blackness as the walls behind are so far away I dont get any light bouncing back. The real issues are between the PJ and screen - the carpet is still quite light and there is a big mirror on the left. The RSJ'd wall where the the screen drops from behind is the worst and I was hoping to paint that chocolate brown as well but got overruled - apparently "You should only have one dark wall where the chimney is - its a feature !" :rolleyes:
I have a dark rug on order so that will help on the floor hopefully. One day I hope to get a dedicated room and outfit it entirely in black velvet but until then its battles with the missus :D:smashin:

I had the same problems as you. I managed to eventually get the boss to allow me to take down the mirroe which made a huge difference. I also put a very large shaggy chocolate rug on the floor, all these little things make a massive difference to the perceived contrast levels, well worth the effort.

Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom