1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sneak peak of Kefs vs VM1s WHF test

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Fulham Phil, Jul 29, 2003.

1. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked this up from the Kef website where they seem to have the group test from the next edition of WHF posted. I don't think the mag is due to hit the shops until next week so thought everyone might appreciate this:-

"Small, effortlessly desirable and easy to install in any home: this is a real winner"
    "No point beating about the bush: KEF has done it. This is the new best system in its class, the KHT 2005.2 is the new top surround dog. KEF should be very proud. But as we've said from the start, the KHT 2005.2 system makes all the kinds of sense in the modern living room. It's small, beautifully made, and it sounds great. We reckon KEF will se selling them by the bucketload."

Read 'em and weep if you've just bought the B&Ws!!!

Here's the link for the (semi) full review.

http://www.kef.com/reviews/pdfs/whathifi_2005.2_09_03.pdf;) :)

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Oh please - What Hi-Fi in rating new product over old one shocker. The VM1's are no more crap now than the original KEF's were when the VM1's came out. WHF' bleat on about the VM1's for weeks and now they're "only" 4-star rated for sound are they? The fact remains that the VM1 package sub is pants and that dropping that for something like the VX-10 will elevate the VM1's to another level. This outcome will be reversed when B&W release the VM1's with a revised sub.....as I'm sure they will. Both packages are exellent for the price.

I'd have bet my house on this outcome.

3. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did not see that one coming :rolleyes:

What Hi-Fi are very predictable!!!

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hands up for what's happenning in October's issue???

Midrange A/V receiver supertest probably, RXV640/STRDB2000 showdown...

I can barely wait...

Oh and this month we get to see if Kef's Cresta 10s have outgunned the AE Aegis Evo 1s...

When did this magazine get so slow?

5. perrdl

perrdl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was it ever anything but slow?

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Wrong....the new Cresta gets a real pasting. KEF probably agreed to sacrifise it on condition that they win everything else....just to make it a little more realistic!

7. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, having just bought the eggs, it made me feel better, which is, after all, why many of us continue to read posts from others like us telling us how great the product we've just bought is - it's called reducing post cognitive dissonance!

In reality, we all know that the WHF reviews are as consistent as the England cricket team but we continue to buy it (or read it in WH Smith) because we love just reading any old rubbish about all this equipment we're obsessed with!!!

8. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crocodile JD - hence I said "if" with regards to the showdown.

9. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    When I first started in all this, I bought Bose AM 10, largly because that's what my mate had got :clown: . They still sound good for movies if it is your first intro. into the world of DD and DTS.

After a very short while, I decided that I wasn't happy with the sound and returned them, swapping them for the then very new, not yet reviewed Kef eggs, this time on the basis of merit. I actually listened to them properly and having decided what I didn't like about the Bose, I was able to make a judgement.

Anyway, I haven't heard the B&W or Velodyne packages but neither would pass muster on style for me. I'd still go for the Kef eggs so long as sound wise they were all fairly close. However, I wouldn't be suprised to find that on sound alone either the B&W or Velodyne would be preferable to the Bose.

I would also concede that the sub was always the mark 1 Kef eggs weakest link.

Not necassarily for all the same reasons and certainly not for very scientific ones, I find my self agreeing with WHF this time. Anyway Kef only lost out to B&W before because people were talking;)

Croc

10. Supernosh

Supernosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did a massive test on the MK1, MK2 and VM1's and would have to say that the MK2 for price and performance were probably better. For £650 they were increadible and a massive improvement over the MK1's and slightly better than the VM1 package.

I would also say that the VM1 sattelite speakers were better than the MK2's and that the MK2 sub was better.

I ended up going for the VM1's with an upgaded B&W ASW675 sub and it totally blows away the MK2's. It is in a completely different league and whilst I appreciate my package was way more expensive having heard it I could not go any other way. Everything else I had heard suddenly sounded very poor!!Did a massive test on the MK1, MK2 and VM1's and would have to say that the MK2 for price and performance were probably better. For £650 they were incredible and a massive improvement over the MK1's and slightly better than the VM1 package.

I would also say that the VM1 satellite speakers were better than the MK2's and that the MK2 sub was better.

I ended up going for the VM1's with an upgraded B&W ASW675 sub and it totally blows away the MK2's. It is in a completely different league and whilst I appreciate my package was way more expensive having heard it I could not go any other way. Everything else I had heard suddenly sounded very poor!!

I totally agree with all the sentiments that are being mentioned here. I like WHF but sometimes get the feeling that things are not always what they seem!!

I totally agree with all the centements that are being mentioned here. I like WHF but sometimes get the feeling that things are not always what they seem!!

11. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    How much of an improvement do you think there was in the MK2 eggs (sub excluded) over the MK1

I say

How much of an improvement do you think there was in the MK2 eggs (sub excluded) over the MK1

I say

Croc

Croc;)

12. Fulham Phil

Fulham Phil
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies - should have posted this in Speakers, not Amps. Only just realised my mistake. Moderator - feel free to move it!