1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snatch gets another award – Is it justified ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Bobthewatcher, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Bobthewatcher

Bobthewatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In this month’s HCC awards Snatch is awarded best DVD of the year, this is on top of receiving Best British Actor, & Best British Director from the Empire awards.

I appreciate these types of awards are subjective but does Snatch really deserve them, I mean Vinny Jones didn’t appear until 1 hour into the film, and while I wouldn’t wish to criticise his acting, is he really the best British actor of the past year.

Guy Richie best director, not a bad effort but not in the same league as Riddly Scott .

And the DVD, better than Toy Story box set, or Gladiator to mention two great DVD’s of last year, I think not.

I sure if we ran a poll on this bulletin board Snatch wouldn’t get a look in, in the top 5 DVD’s of last year, even if we stick to region 2.

But then again I could be wrong, what do you think ?

2. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Good point mate, and I couldn't agree more. OK, Richie may well be the best British director of the year - that's fine by me, but is Vinnie Jones the best actor? Not a chance. My guess is, he'll play exactly the same character in Sword Fish with Travolta and exactly the same charater in whatever his next film is....

Oh, and Snatch best disc? Again, not a chance - it's good, but it's not right....

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

3. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    According to IMDB, Ridleys first major film was the Duelists. His second film was Alien.

Will Snatch be a genre defining film 20 from now i wonder..

[​IMG]

4. Bobthewatcher

Bobthewatcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jenz, point taken over the award being for ‘Technical Merit’, make’s sense for a Home Cinema mag, however I still don’t think the disc deserved the award, I found the menu system for navigating the disc irritating.

P.S. Apologies for spelling Ridley’s name wrong.

[This message has been edited by Bobthewatcher (edited 15-03-2001).]

5. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If your source is accurate Matt, then I humbly concede the point, it would be interesting however to list all their works in chronilogical order to determine there worth as directors. That was the point I was trying to make. Maybe even their path to becoming a director would be relevant. But that type of argument deserves it own thread.

6. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Vinnie is not the first actor to play basically the same role in each film, other candiates would be Sean Connery, Robert De Niro, Oliver Reed and Michael Caine, all usually play themselves but with a different name. They do however give entertaining performances which is what its all about.

I think that often the phrase Best Film/Actor/Director is confused/mixed with the Favorite Film/Actor/Director. My favorite film of last year would be Gladiator but i dont know if i would say it was the best.

7. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had always seen this award as "Best Technical Merit" DVD, ie the technical creation of the DVD. I may be wrong in this regard but Snatch was pretty good in that regard.

Certainly wouldn't be my disc of the year though.

------------------
    Webmaster,
    Bullets n Babes DVDs HT Pics

8. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I agree with Matt, but for one exception. Robert DeNiro.
    Admittedly he has played a lot of gangster roles, but his ability to pull off comedy performances like Analyse This [still a gangster role I know] and Meet the Parents, coupled with the diversity of characters in Brazil and Frankenstein, gives him a bit more width in my opinion than the accent challenged likes of Michael Caine and Sean Connery.
    Getting back to the original thread, to be honest I can't think of any real good performances from a british actor last year [who were the nominess ?]
    Guy Ritchie as best director, I can live with, being as it would appear to be his 2nd film [someone will no doubt correct me on this] and I wonder how the 2nd film from Ridley Scott would compare.
    Best DVD, again I would agree, I have Snatch, Gladiator and both the Toy Story DVD's [toy box is 2 movies plus a bonus disc, so technically not a true comparison]. But it all depends on the criteria used to rate the DVD's, Gladiator is more visually stunning than most, Snatch is more stylish and the Toy Story films are just pure entertainment whatever your age.
    So as in most things we all agree to disagree [​IMG]

------------------
    Put the bunny back in the box !