snatch/clean & jerk

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how to people THAT small lift such a heavy weight?

watching the women do both earlier and was just in awe.

i am wondering what i could do - but i am only deadlifting 110-120kg, benching 80-90kg and squatting 80kg, and these girls are lifting WAY more that that above their heads.

think i would be well below 50kg for both.

how to people THAT small lift such a heavy weight?

watching the women do both earlier and was just in awe.

i am wondering what i could do - but i am only deadlifting 110-120kg, benching 80-90kg and squatting 80kg, and these girls are lifting WAY more that that above their heads.

think i would be well below 50kg for both.

Your technique has to be bang on before you think about the weight. Im personally more prone to injurys with movements like this so steer clear:smashin:

my back isn't ideal at the best of times, so would be worried about trying it - but i am just amazed at the weight they lift.

some of the girls didn't even "look" strong - not particularly big, but were lifting lots.

my back isn't ideal at the best of times, so would be worried about trying it - but i am just amazed at the weight they lift.

some of the girls didn't even "look" strong - not particularly big, but were lifting lots.

One of The most dangerous things you could do is go off someones looks. These people will have a strong core..id say deadlifts and squats will be for breakfast for a strong foundation and lower back-your hands/arms will merely act like hooks, if you like-the strength will be at the core.

Saying that about looks, when i did my fitness instructors course when i was 18 years old (1998), we had one of Britains strongest women on the course, and by gum did she look the part. I got paired up with her in one session and had to pick the old girl up,on my back:suicide: thankfully i was also a retained firefighter at the time so she was up and over quite swiftly:DBut she didnt half way a ton:eek:

is there any relevance/relationship between what you are able to squat/deadlift to what you would be able to clean & jerk?

if you can squat/deadlift say 100kg, what could you expect to clean & jerk?

is there any relevance/relationship between what you are able to squat/deadlift to what you would be able to clean & jerk?

if you can squat/deadlift say 100kg, what could you expect to clean & jerk?

Although your core strength is a key factor, from personal experience in this discipline, i dont think you could say there is a definite correlation with what you are suggesting. Again, technique is key... If you dont have it for the clean and jerk then it doesnt matter what you deadlift or squat. Heck, if someone can press 2 plates side on the smith machine flat, that wouldnt give you a precise indication of what the same individual could do on a flat bench with an olympic bar-although it definitely would be less than the smith machine effort.

It's the snatch that always amazes me. I do a lot of clean and press n my workouts but only up to 85kg. But that's a push press not a jerk. I suppose it's just having a natural strength and being trained , professionally , for s long time with people who know what they are doing. But mainly it's got to be technique and day after day in the gym doing the same old thing. Don't forget these people , generally , won't train for muscle size ( that's a side affect of there training , the same as a body builder trains for size and a side affect is strength ) they must train , I would imagine, with very low reps but high weight.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom