• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Snapchat

drunkenjoiner

Established Member
Hi all,
Big time not sure if this is the correct place for this but here goes.
My daughters have both this month gone wayyyyyy above there phone tariff and on investigation they have used over their 1Gb allowed data.

Both of them seem to be on the above mentioned app quite a bit, could this be the cause of the much higher than normal usage?

Many thanks

DJ

John

depends on how much is quite a bit. how many pictures are they sending and what size are they ? Add that to the rest of the data they are using ....

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Depending on the phone it might tell you. E.g. On my Samsung Galaxy I get a breakdown by app under Settings-> Data Usage.

drunkenjoiner

Established Member
Thanks guys, I have had chance to ask to the girls and the only new thing they have on their phones is Snapchat.
They both have iPhone 4, can I check what apps have been using what on ios.
Android man myself so no idea on the apple products.
Thanks
DJ

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
I would say it is most likely the cause of it. The snapchat site says:
Snapchat is a new way to share moments with friends. Snap an ugly selfie or a video, add a caption, and send it to a friend (or maybe a few). They'll receive it, laugh, and then the snap disappears.

Sending pics and video and also downloading it isn't going to be light on the data.

flightphoto

Established Member
Over 1GB in a month using a chat app is quite excessive? As habit, I turn the data off and only turn it on to send MMS or emails etc. Get them to remove the App and use an alternative that isn't soo data intensive if possible, whatsapp is quite good, although I find it highly annoying that people message me using Whatsapp instead of sending a text message, I use it purely when connected to Wifi :)

I think you may be able to call the network and put a data usage bar on the phones just to cover your back as I believe it's something like £6 for every 250mb's over the allowance?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom