Snakes on a plane - UK Bluray - EIV

RicsterG

Novice Member
HI, received this today ahead of its release on Monday and it states Dolby TrueHD on the back and on the menus but it is only playing as a Dolby Digital Track.

I have up to date firmware and wondering if its another EIV muck up. Hoping somebody out there can check as well.

If it is a muck up, anybody know how to contact EIV and get a replacement disc?

Cheers

DICKIEDUVET

Distinguished Member
EIV mess a title up, Never ;)

Optimum and EIV are in desperate need of a stern talking to.

Will Scarlet

HI, received this today ahead of its release on Monday and it states Dolby TrueHD on the back and on the menus but it is only playing as a Dolby Digital Track.

I have up to date firmware and wondering if its another EIV muck up. Hoping somebody out there can check as well.

Cheers

Snakes on a Plane is a WB title and EIV's release is probably a direct port. Most if not all WB titles default to Dolby Digital 5.1, therefore you have to select the TrueHD soundtrack via the disc's menu. Have you tried this?

CJPowers81

Cheers

Isn't there an option to select Dolby TrueHD in the menus?

And it's probably not a cock up, it is EIV we are talking here. They are notorious for putting out crap discs, whether it's a lack of lossless audio or 1080/50i instead of 1080p.

CJPowers81

EIV mess a title up, Never ;)

Optimum and EIV are in desperate need of a stern talking to.

I thought EIV may of finally get their act together, seeing as Freddy Vs Jason was a pretty good disc, a grade A release for their standards. However, it seems they've gone and kicked themselves in the nether regions, again.

RicsterG

Novice Member
well, its a 1080p 24 transfer with only two tracks. A Dolby True HD track and a stereo commentary track. The menu does not let you select the Dolby track. You bascially go to special features and select the commentary track. If you turn that off, you get the movie soundtrack which should be Dolby True but its playing Dolby Digital 5.1 and the panny is displaying Dolby Digital Multi under signal info.

Will Scarlet

well, its a 1080p 24 transfer with only two tracks. A Dolby True HD track and a stereo commentary track. The menu does not let you select the Dolby track. You bascially go to special features and select the commentary track. If you turn that off, you get the movie soundtrack which should be Dolby True but its playing Dolby Digital 5.1 and the panny is displaying Dolby Digital Multi under signal info.

Just to confirm; you have other Blu-rays that output TrueHD on your setup?

By the way, to select a soundtrack you normally have to go into the 'Language' options and not the 'Special Features' section.

Last edited:

RicsterG

Novice Member
Yeah the panny outputs Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA 5.1 and 7.1 to my Onkyo amp. Just tried Dark knight and thats fine.

Whitley Lad

Distinguished Member
Don't Panasonic Blu Ray players display TrueHD as Dolby Digital Multi?

RicsterG

Novice Member
Managed to put the disc in a PS3. That reports Dolby Digital 5.1 640 kbps. So its either a dodgy disc, or a huge error at EIV again.

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
That's EIV's response to Optimum being crapper. That and the hideous Red Cliff artwork. They want their Crap-Crown back.

nwgarratt

Sounds the disc is not finding the THD audio (flagging issue) and defaulting to the DD 5.1 core. I have seen that before but can't what disc.

I don't intend to get this one so I won't be able to check.

BurgerAndFries

Novice Member
Managed to put the disc in a PS3. That reports Dolby Digital 5.1 640 kbps. So its either a dodgy disc, or a huge error at EIV again.

You wrote above that "The menu does not let you select the Dolby track. You bascially go to special features and select the commentary track. If you turn that off, you get the movie soundtrack which should be Dolby True but its playing Dolby Digital 5.1".

What you're describing sounds like a typical Warners title which doesn't have a full and proper main menu screen.

What happens when you first insert the disc in your BD player and it finishes loading? Does it go to a main menu like most DVDs do or does the film start playing straight away without you having to select "Play Movie" from a main menu?

I'm guessing/hoping/praying that the film starts playing straight away once the disc has finished loading and that you don't see a traditional main menu from which you have to manually play the film?

If the movie starts playing straight away like I'm hoping, try bringing up the "pop-up menu" or "floating menu" while the film is still playing in the background. You should hopefully then see an option there for "set-up" or "languages" or "audio set-up" or something like that?

You should hopefully then see an option to select between Dolby TrueHD 5.1 & English Dolby Digital 5.1. Most Warner titles default to Dolby Digital and you have to manually select any lossless audio option in the way I've described.

Selecting "main menu" (which causes the movie to stop playing) rather than "pop-up menu" on most Warner titles will generally only allow you to access the special/bonus features on the disc and absolutely nothing else, just like you said above.

Hopefully the Dolby TrueHD is there but you just haven't found it because you haven't tried going through the "pop-up" menu while the film is playing?

RicsterG

Novice Member
You wrote above that "The menu does not let you select the Dolby track. You bascially go to special features and select the commentary track. If you turn that off, you get the movie soundtrack which should be Dolby True but its playing Dolby Digital 5.1".

What you're describing sounds like a typical Warners title which doesn't have a full and proper main menu screen.

What happens when you first insert the disc in your BD player and it finishes loading? Does it go to a main menu like most DVDs do or does the film start playing straight away without you having to select "Play Movie" from a main menu?

I'm guessing/hoping/praying that the film starts playing straight away once the disc has finished loading and that you don't see a traditional main menu from which you have to manually play the film?

If the movie starts playing straight away like I'm hoping, try bringing up the "pop-up menu" or "floating menu" while the film is still playing in the background. You should hopefully then see an option there for "set-up" or "languages" or "audio set-up" or something like that?

You should hopefully then see an option to select between Dolby TrueHD 5.1 & English Dolby Digital 5.1. Most Warner titles default to Dolby Digital and you have to manually select any lossless audio option in the way I've described.

Selecting "main menu" (which causes the movie to stop playing) rather than "pop-up menu" on most Warner titles will generally only allow you to access the special/bonus features on the disc and absolutely nothing else, just like you said above.

Hopefully the Dolby TrueHD is there but you just haven't found it because you haven't tried going through the "pop-up" menu while the film is playing?

Yeah, it goes straight into the movie, but there isnt a Dolby Digital option in the menu. There is only a Dolby True HD track. As I said, you cant select the commentary track from languages, you have to do that in special features.

The language menu does not allow you to change the audio. You can just turn on subtitles, thats it. Pressing AUDIO on the remote cycles through two audio tracks. Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Dolby 2.0 (commentary).

:-(

BurgerAndFries

Novice Member
Yeah, it goes straight into the movie, but there isnt a Dolby Digital option in the menu. There is only a Dolby True HD track. As I said, you cant select the commentary track from languages, you have to do that in special features.

The language menu does not allow you to change the audio. You can just turn on subtitles, thats it. Pressing AUDIO on the remote cycles through two audio tracks. Dolby Digital 5.1 and a Dolby 2.0 (commentary).

:-(

That's incredibly annoying!

So just to be clear, there is a language option on the menu that actually says English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio and this is the only audio language present?

This "language" option on the menu also allows you to toggle English subtitles on or off?

Even though the the language menu on the disc says Dolby TrueHD, when you play the movie your player and amp are telling you that the audio is actually just lossy Doby Digital 5.1?

If all the above is correct then I'm wondering if the error could be New Line's/Warner's? We need to find out if this same problem affects the US disc as well.

If the US BD has the same issue then it backs up the conventional wisdom that all EIV Blu-ray titles that come from New Line are just "clones" of the equivalent US release.

If it turns out that the American Snakes on a Plane BD doesn't suffer from the same issue then that really throws a spanner in the works. It means we can no longer be secure in the knowledge that all of (the usually craptastic and ureliable)--->EIV's BD titles that are from New Line are exactly the same as the equivalent US versions. I for one will then be even more reluctant to buy anything from EIV on Blu-ray, when previously I was happy to do so as long as it was a New Line title. :(

RicsterG

Novice Member
That's incredibly annoying!

So just to be clear, there is a language option on the menu that actually says English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio and this is the only audio language present?

This "language" option on the menu also allows you to toggle English subtitles on or off?

Even though the the language menu on the disc says Dolby TrueHD, when you play the movie your player and amp are telling you that the audio is actually just lossy Doby Digital 5.1?

If all the above is correct then I'm wondering if the error could be New Line's/Warner's? We need to find out if this same problem affects the US disc as well.

If the US BD has the same issue then it backs up the conventional wisdom that all EIV Blu-ray titles that come from New Line are just "clones" of the equivalent US release.

If it turns out that the American Snakes on a Plane BD doesn't suffer from the same issue then that really throws a spanner in the works. It means we can no longer be secure in the knowledge that all of (the usually craptastic and ureliable)--->EIV's BD titles that are from New Line are exactly the same as the equivalent US versions. I for one will then be even more reluctant to buy anything from EIV on Blu-ray, when previously I was happy to do so as long as it was a New Line title. :(

Yeah thats right.

RicsterG

Novice Member
Managed to get some photos uploaded to show.

Menu screen
Amp display
PS3 display
The second audio track

Last edited:

nwgarratt

This isn't the first EIV to have just a THD audio track and no separate DD 5.1 track. Underworld 3 is the same but that has a separate option in the menu for the DD 5.1 core audio.

I still think perhaps there is a flag issue so the THD is not being picked and the DD 5.1 core is being used. If it is then it is a authoring issue. Of course it could just have DD 5.1. I can't tell without the disc.

BurgerAndFries

Novice Member
This isn't the first EIV to have just a THD audio track and no separate DD 5.1 track. Underworld 3 is the same but that has a separate option in the menu for the DD 5.1 core audio.

I still think perhaps there is a flag issue so the THD is not being picked and the DD 5.1 core is being used. If it is then it is a authoring issue. Of course it could just have DD 5.1. I can't tell without the disc.

I'm pretty sure Hairspray only has English Dolby TrueHD 7.1 as the audio option on the menu, just like the US version?

Dolby True HD doesn't use a "core + extensions" format like with DTS HD AFAIK?

Any Dolby Digital track would have to be there as a completely separate stream from the Dolby TrueHD track. That being said, my understanding is that to meet the requirements of the BD spec a Dolby Digital track has to be present even if it is hidden and isn't selectable from the menu.

The gist of what you're saying is probably true though, the Dolby TrueHD has been incorrectly flagged! :D

Is it wrong that I'm hoping the error is in the US encode as well, so that I don't have to worry about New Line titles from EIV not being exactly the same as the US release? :devil:

nwgarratt

I'm pretty sure Hairspray only has English Dolby TrueHD 7.1 as the audio option on the menu, just like the US version?

Dolby True HD doesn't use a "core + extensions" format like with DTS HD AFAIK?

Yes it does.

Underworld 3. AC3 is the technical term for DD. No separate DD 5.1 track although most have one.

AC3/DD 2.0 is the commentary.

This is The Matrix. Notice the core plus the separate audio track.

Last edited:

Will Scarlet

Yes it does.

You simply beggar belief. How many times do you have to be told? Dolby TrueHD does not have a core Dolby Digital 5.1 track.

Below is the latest example, of which I am aware, of a member pointing this fact out to you and to think that Geoff_D thought you would be unable to ignore Dolby's own literature.:rolleyes:

Please do other members and myself a favour, read the quote and stop peddling this nonsense.

nw, TrueHD does not carry a lossy core. The lossy Dolby Digital track is a completely separate encode, and always has been. Sure, on some discs you cannot manually select the DD track, but it is merely hidden rather than being part of the TrueHD audio.

From page 4 of Dolby's TrueHD Tech Paper:

"Other codecs using a lossy core paired with a lossless extension treat them together, with the inevitable result that one or the other suffers. Either the lossy audio is potentially degraded by rematrixing...or the lossless audio payload is materially increased because of the extra channels it carries. We chose to handle the lossy and lossless codecs independently, thereby elegantly avoiding these compromises by using the optimal method for each codec."

And from page 5:
"There’s no need to compromise picture quality or minimize additional soundtracks or features, unlike systems that encode the lossy core and lossless extension as a single bitstream. Keeping these elements separate also means that either bitstream can be altered during the production process without requiring a QC check of the other, a benefit for content creators."

http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/...PDFs/Professional/TrueHD_Tech_Paper_Final.pdf

To the OP; there is now a review of the US release of Snakes on a Plane in AVF's review section. There is no mention of issues with the TrueHD soundtrack.

Snakes on a Plane Blu-ray review at AVForums.com

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett