• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Snake in the house, bitten?

brad123

Prominent Member
My Grandads been bitten whilst in bed, we did think it was rats but pest control can't find a thing. We have checked everywhere and no holes can be found, he's shut all doors too.

He said it feels like something sliding over his feet at night. We are stumped and he's 80+ and struggling to sleep over this.

We have a new GoPro and wondered if we can set it up to record at night to see if we can see anything.

He lives right behind the countryside, it's his backgarden more or less. Pic attached. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this? Maybe a grass snake or adder?

Attachments

• IMG_0677.jpeg
    IMG_0677.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 633

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Vampire?
Seriously though how is he? At 80+ if he's been bitten by an Adder isn't there potential health issues if he's been bitten by one? Looks like 2 puncture wounds, like a snake but I would have thought a snake inside a house in this country would be vary rare indeed as they are very shy creatures and would usually prefer to be outside in amongst the foliage. Has he been seen by a Dr?

D

Deleted member 498601

My Grandads been bitten whilst in bed, we did think it was rats but pest control can't find a thing. We have checked everywhere and no holes can be found, he's shut all doors too.

He said it feels like something sliding over his feet at night. We are stumped and he's 80+ and struggling to sleep over this.

We have a new GoPro and wondered if we can set it up to record at night to see if we can see anything.

He lives right behind the countryside, it's his backgarden more or less. Pic attached. Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this? Maybe a grass snake or adder?

I'm no snake expert (although I've owned a few over the years), but any snake that's big enough to leave a bite with fangs that wide (I'm guessing around 10mm apart if your thumb is not abnormally large or small!) would be a pretty large snake. It should be fairly easy to find if it's in the home, keeping warm.

I assume that the bedding/ mattress has been checked thoroughly for anything that could cause this? It might even have been caused by the mattress itself.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Do you think he's banged his arm/leg during the day and not noticed until the following morning? Maybe on a fence post with a couple of nails stuck out, or something similar?

:)

Last edited:

MIghtyG

Prominent Member
Do you think he's banged his arm/leg during the day and not noticed until the following morning? Maybe on fence post with a couple of nails stuck out, or something similar?

:)
I'd vote this.

Currently have a ~6-in scratch on my right calf, no idea how it go there. Few weeks ago I stripped some skin off my left knuckles while squeezing my hand behind some plaster board to run some cable.

Only reason I noticed was when I saw some red stains on the freshly painted white walls! :)

shodan

Distinguished Member
Although they look pretty uniform is suggest it's more likely to be insect bites rather than a snake.... I'd like to think that if a snake bit someone, they would know about it..

gibbsy

My father, in his late 80s up until he passed away, would cut and mark up easily. He was always cutting himself or bruising by just banging against things. I think that has been made by a foreign object that your grandfather hadn't noticed. It is so similar to what happened to my dad on several occasions.

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
It’s not a snake bite. It’s extremely unlikely for a snake to be in the house, there’s nothing there for them. And they would have no interest in biting a human. And they don’t have teeth right at the front to make a bite anything like that.

Looks far more like a rodent bite, but as others have said it could be that he’s caught it on something sharp. If he feels something there at night the my money is on a rat.

Last edited:

IronGiant

The fangs of the northern viper/adder are right at the front. but they aren't chunky enough to do that damage IMHO:

adder-or-northern-viper-vipera-berus-head-of-snake-with-jaws-open-E71K8F.jpg

gibbsy

christopher-lee-dracula.jpg

Somebody had to post it! Makes more sense than IG's viper.:smashin:

SteveCritten

Distinguished Member
The fangs of the northern viper/adder are right at the front. but they aren't chunky enough to do that damage IMHO:

But it couldn’t bite length ways like that surely? A rat has more than two teeth. I go with the “ caught it without noticing” theory and the rest is in his mind.

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Looks like a bite from a horse fly that i was bitten by once, although its a lot larger than the one i got, If it is it can turn very nasty if it gets infected.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Good point about infection.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Looks like a bite from a horse fly that i was bitten by once, although its a lot larger than the one i got, If it is it can turn very nasty if it gets infected.

They certainly can turn nasty - this was the result of a fly bite that became infected.
E0FD0C3D-CC14-4EDE-811B-1F233FF00820.jpeg

My lad, being part Asian, suffers from keloid scarring, which means he is now literally ‘scarred for life’ from this. Despite antibiotics being administered, the wound had already done its damage. This picture was taken a couple of months after the original bite.

It's 3 1/2 years since that picture was taken, and the scar is still prominent. I doubt he'll let me take a photo of it now, he's a touch self conscious about it - but looks like he has escaped The Matrix! :D

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
@bodoman - it is the bacteria in the horsefly's saliva that does the damage, same with mosquitoes.
Getting a disinfectant on the bite as soon as possible should help - but I am not trained in this in case someone has better advice.

Last edited:

JoeSepi

Prominent Member
They certainly can turn nasty - this was the result of a fly bite that became infected.
View attachment 1123882
My lad, being part Asian, suffers from keloid scarring, which means he is now literally ‘scarred for life’ from this. Despite antibiotics being administered, the wound had already done its damage. This picture was taken a couple of months after the original bite.

It's 3 1/2 years since that picture was taken, and the scar is still prominent. I doubt he'll let me take a photo of it now, he's a touch self conscious about it - but looks like he has escaped The Matrix! :D
He's a bit self-conscious about it, but Dad is on hand to post pics online :D:laugh:;)

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member

Late to the party as I’ve only just seen your reply IG! I didn’t mean snakes don’t have teeth at the front (I have several as pets), but rather they don’t have them centrally together like a rat.

From that photo with the semi circular wounds, the bite would far more likely have been caused by a rat biting vertically as you look at it. Their front incisors are plenty long enough to cause two nasty punctures and nothing else.

E227B264-4800-415D-82AE-DA4F11732362.jpeg

Last edited:

movieman1866

Prominent Member
I can say from experience that is definitely not an adder bite. I was bitten by an adder several years ago and the puncture wounds were so fine that they were very hard to see, not helped by the amount of swelling on my foot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom