smooth dvd playback

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by meva, Apr 11, 2002.

1. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    I've been thinking more about using my P.C. as a H.C.P.C. I have an Athlon 650 with 320 megs ram,windows me, power dvd, L.G. dvd/cdrw, creative 5.1,supergrace radeon V.E with dual monitor and dvi out ( 64MB ).
    I have plugged my projector in once and the picture looked good.My main question is how smooth should my dvd playback be? It seems pretty good but does stutter occasionally , I have had probs with drivers for the graphics card, the download of the latest driver at supergrace.com doesn't work well at all with my p.c. ( much worse than the one supplied with the card ????). Is a little stutter to be expected with this setup? (It particularly doesn't like the little Universal montage at the start of The Mummy Returns ). Thanks.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you may find that if the DVD rom features are autoloaded, or another player like PC Friendly is initiated, this will create a stutter when you first run PowerDVD etc if that is also on autoload. Try loading the disk before you run Powerdvd and cancel any program that is initiated from autorun. Then try PowerDVD.

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,913
    What refresh rates are you using?

I use 75hz for R2 PAL, and 72hz for R1 NTSC.

NTSC uses a 3:2 pull down frame rate to fit 24 frames into 60hz (the frequency of the tv power supply/refresh rate), and PAL uses 25 frames to fit into 50hz (this results in a 4% film speed up tho').

Multiples of these work well, so 3 x 25 = 75 and 3 x 24 = 72. Incorrect refresh rates will show up as stuttering. Playing an NTSC disk via a 50hz tv will show a lot of stuttering on slow pans, and you will see the same thing via a htpc too.

I forgot to mention - I'm also using a Supergrace 64meg Radeon card with the 7093 drivers that came with it, and no noticeable stuttering.

Your processor may be borderline for smooth playback, but hopefully someone else will be able to confirm this either way. I'm using a 950 Duron with 128m ram.

HTH

Gary.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    A lot of the stuff that plays before the film proper is video based so if R1 it will only run smoothly at 60Hz. Also if you have a panel projector then it will probably only run well at 60Hz anyway, with extra stutter and tearing at other rates. The best refresh rate depends on the display and the source material.

Jeff

5. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for the replies. I'm just toying with using my P.C. with my projector at the mo so you have got a bit advanced for me.I have no idea what refresh ( presumably 60hz ).I will read up ( re-powerstrip etc.) this weekend and have a play and probably post again.I was really wondering if my P.C. is powerful enough to get good dvd playback.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Mrva

What projector are you using?

Conor

7. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Philips Proscreen 4100, I've actually got money to upgrade it but can't decide which projector to get.:confused:

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have a similar problem with my Toshiba MT3 projector. The stuttering is (in my case) definately being caused by the projector. It's heartbreaking because aside from the stuttering the picture from the HCPC to the MT3 is really excellent. I watched Enigma last week and the stutter on panning shots made it almost unwatchable. It's very strange that some movies seem worse than others even though the panning shots are very similar (speed wise)

I think that I'll try one more post on the AVS forum and if I get no joy I may think about selling the projector, just nobody tell my wife.

Conor

9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,913
    Hi Conor,

what refresh rates are you using, and what CPU is in your PC?

Gary

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Garry

My hardware setup is as follows:

Projector: Toshiba MT3 (LCD) Successor to the MT1

PC:pIII 600
    256 RAM
    Raedon VE Graphics 32MB
    Delta Dio 24/96 sound card (optical out)
    Pioneer 116 DVD multiregion
    Windows 98 SE
    Theatretek DVD player
    DMA enabled and all other programs disabled from running in background

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Conor

11. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,913
    Have you tried it on an ordinary monitor?

It does seem odd that it's the pj that's at fault via the vga, when normaly this is the best input to use.

Normaly I'd say the CPU was borderline, but if it's playing ok on a standard monitor, then it's not that.

Have you tried setting the graphis card to 60hz without pstrip?

Does the card have another output such as tv out? Have you tried that?

Just trying to see if there's something you may have missed, even though it seems as if you've probably thought of everything else..

I saw your post over at avforums, and if a 1.7mhz cpu isn't working via vga then it does look like the pj is faulty. You don't mention the results of trying different refresh rates though. Did changing them improve things in any way?

Gary.

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You may have a known problem with Radeon VE cards.

If both heads are enabled in mirror mode, PowerDVD produces output on both heads without using video overlay functionality of the card (but uses DirectDraw calls).

This results in fully software MPEG2 decoding that is very taxing on the processor. The underlying reason being that the video overlay can be created only on one head at the time.

In order to overcome this problem go to display advanced properties and on the display tab swith of mirror monitor whenever you want to watch DVD. With only one active head, PowerDVD automatically switches uses video overlay functionality, resulting in completely smooth video. You'll also notice significant drop in processor utilisation.

Hope this helps.