Smokey and the Bandit 4K UHD

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
I like having the legacy BD presentation if only for comparison purposes. Even though the UHD will have the extras it appears that the UK UHD won’t have the excellent 'The Bandit' documentary from the US 40th anni BD. So, again, they can fook right off.

Universal don't often omit the BD which is the weird thing, that they didn’t release the 40th anni BD over here makes me wonder if they can’t/won’t release it in the UK (maybe rights issues with the documentary as it’s a TV special?) and they don’t want to bundle in the tatty old barebones UK BD with the UHD? Or perhaps Fabulous Films' license has something to do with it.

And I know £20 is the going rate which I’m happy to pay when I feel I’m getting value from it. Funny thing is, I’ve happily pre-ordered the tat-laden sets of The Sting and Animal House each for nearly £40 a pop and if they’d done a similar set for Smokey I’d have been all over it. (My spensive Arrow sets of Donnie Darko and Battle Royale are on their way too.) But I just cannae get excited over the rather bleh UK treatment of Smokey.

Last edited:

IGC

Since most Blu-rays are now made outside the UK I guess with import duty & VAT it's a way of shaving off a few quid from their costs.

I have pre-ordered the Steelbook but I would very very rarely pay £20 or even bother buying a brand new release immediately. This -with The Matrix- is an exception unless it's something supporting a small distributor like 101Films.

Australia's UHDs tend not to have the Blu-ray either.

Were getting less for more and we better get used to it,

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Since most Blu-rays are now made outside the UK I guess with import duty & VAT it's a way of shaving off a few quid from their costs.

I have pre-ordered the Steelbook but I would very very rarely pay £20 or even bother buying a brand new release immediately. This -with The Matrix- is an exception unless it's something supporting a small distributor like 101Films.

Australia's UHDs tend not to have the Blu-ray either.

Were getting less for more and we better get used to it,
Disnee were doing that from the start with catalogue stuff in Australia, and Sony Europe have tended to leave out the BD from their continental UHD releases too. It’s a shame that it’s finally crept in over here, Paramount have started doing it too although our My Fair Lady will have the movie BD + bonus BD whereas the US release is just the 4K + bonus BD.

They do get a digital copy however, most majors still provide them with their US discs whereas they stopped doing them years ago for the UK. That makes UHD-only releases a bit more palatable but £20 for such a plain jane set as Smokey UK is not my bag, baby. And hey, at least the Aussie discs are dirt cheap!

Now that is a different story and this is where something like Blu-ray.com is being missed. Not sure it's worth paying an extra £6 for though.
The (feature length) documentary is aces, it could prolly be found for free on the interwebs (hell, so could the movie if we're going down that route) but I’ll gladly drop the extra coin for the better package, some of which I’ll get back with the digital copy anyway.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
The (feature length) documentary is aces, it could prolly be found for free on the interwebs (hell, so could the movie if we're going down that route) but I’ll gladly drop the extra coin for the better package, some of which I’ll get back with the digital copy anyway.
Can you stop it please Geoff_D you are on the verge of convincing me to spend more money on the US copy :laugh:

IGC

It's a great documentary no fluff or muss but you might be cheaper shopping around and getting the 40th Anniversary Blu-ray from the US or Australia.

I don't think it's on any other Blu-ray (not sure about Canada as it's missing from the UHD).

I've got the UK UHD Steelbook from Zavvi coming and I already have the Australia 40th Blu-ray so sorted.

Geoff_D

Distinguished Member
Damn it, I caved! Cancelled UK and got the US on preorder. I have often heard of this documentary so might as well give that a watch too.
Bad news, someone's got the US 4K edition in early at blu-ray.com and it does NOT seem to come with the 40th Anniversary Blu-ray like the back cover art (still) suggests, just the old BD. I've already sent the email to wowhd to cancel it and have re-ordered the 40th anniversary disc from decluttr on ebay.

As for the UHD, I'll pick up the UK one when it hits a tenner.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Bad news, someone's got the US 4K edition in early at blu-ray.com and it does NOT seem to come with the 40th Anniversary Blu-ray like the back cover art (still) suggests, just the old BD. I've already sent the email to wowhd to cancel it and have re-ordered the 40th anniversary disc from decluttr on ebay.

As for the UHD, I'll pick up the UK one when it hits a tenner.
Thanks for the heads up, will cancel and just get the standard UK release in that case.

IGC

This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags! Yup, just the old Blu-ray:

1.jpg

Good news is I've also found a 40th release in Spain Los Caraduras for less than £12 (€12.96) delivered www.amazon.es/dp/B06Y5KM5H5/

UPC: 8414533105477

Bargain when you look at importing from the US or Australia.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Got my copy Friday and decided to watch this yesterday afternoon. It occured to me I have only ever seen this on TV during the 80s and 90s and this was the first time I was watching this properly. You know how some films seem better in your memory and the reality doesn't live up to the expectation. Well this isn't one of those, the jokes are still funny, the action great to look at and Eastbound and Down is still so darn infectious.

Burt Reynolds if so charming, Sally Field is so cute and crazy, the whole plotline is just madness and it is hard not to have a great time.

Picture wise this looks great, there are a few times where I thought things looked a little dark but that is probably more down to the tone mapping of my aging LG B7. The sound on the other hand 🤮 I mean it is serviceable, does sound good but too may times music just drowns out the vocals which I am sure would never have happened on the Mono track.

Good news is I've also found a 40th release in Spain Los Caraduras for less than £12 (€12.96) delivered www.amazon.es/dp/B06Y5KM5H5/

UPC: 8414533105477

Bargain when you look at importing from the US or Australia.
Did you get this? Is this English friendly no forced subs or anything? Honestly thinking of getting this to get the Mono track and remux it.

IGC

I have the 40th from Australia I wouldn't anticipate any problems with subtitles etc with that release from Spain.

Weirdly it's also getting a 40th release in France next week called Cours après Moi, shérif www.amazon.fr/dp/B08ZQ7NF2G (translates to My Father Owned a Horse). Listed as having mono

Will be watching this the day I get the UHD but I have a bit of a wait as the Steelbook is weeks away.

W.jpg

IGC

Picked up the US release for bit less than £12 on Amazon.com

They have a 3 for 2 off here Very messy link but there's around 300 Blu-rays & UHDs.

Anyhoo, this isn't in the offer but adding it to my basket increased the price by less than £12 as there's a $3.66 coupon www.amazon.com/dp/B091DYSGVK/. You'll have to pay in US$ or it won't apply at checkout end.

1212.png

I'm bored waiting for the Zavvi release (obviously I'm still getting it).

The 3 titles in the offer that I bought:

121212.PNG

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom