1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoke bad for lcd projectors?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Fatbob1080, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Does anyone here smoke while using their non sealed optics projectors? Ive recently bought a panasonic pt-ae700, didnt know anything about it being bad to smoke in the room youre using it until i bought it. Is it really that bad? Does it affect picture quality or just damage the projector? At the moment i go into a different room when i want a smoke break but its seriously annoying as one of my favourite pastimes is smoking while watching films.. im not really talking about cigarettes here :smoke: Im actually seriously considering selling the projector and getting a big screen tv instead! I know about these cases you can buy but im not going to fork out loads of money for one, and im not even sure how effective they are anyway. So, how important is it that the room is smoke free?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Anything that needs an airflow through it, to keep it cool (which therefore includes all lamp-based devices) will be getting a "smoke" flow instead. This will coat the interior with the same orange/brown stuff that coats your teeth and lungs and fingers. Draw your own conclusion.

So will your screen.

RPTVs come in 3 types; two (LCD and DLP) are similarly lamp based. CRT ones aren't and, although in time the interior will get coated, its probable that this will take longer in the absence of a cooling fan.

I highly recommend that you either:

> continue to go into another room OR
    > place your projector in a sealed and externally ventilated container.

3. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Life is too short to worry about projector damage from smoke IMHO!! I sit directly under my HS20 and smoke like a trooper :smoke: It may not be big or clever, but I figure that if I'm stupid enough to smoke :nono: in the first place, then I might as well just enjoy my movies. Just be as sensible as you can - clean the filter more regularly, blow the smoke to the side if you can etc.

4. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hmm, interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I'll ponder this one next time im having a smoke in the spare room :)

5. thepostman

thepostman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1,600 smoking related deaths per week!!!....nearly 300,000 deaths since 1998
    including poor B**gers who have never lit up!! IMHO it's incredible to put the condition of your projector over your own life...i wonder if your loved ones will say well at least the projectors still working :eek:

It's obvious.give up............also i am curious to know if your intersted in picture quality?? as a smoke filled room can't show up screendoor.... :laugh:

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well if youve seen that black crap that collects in your lungs and the fact that it turns just about anything thats white yellow, then I guess thats what it will do to the inside of your PJ :smashin:

7. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well, my living room wall is painted a pale yellow and im happy with the picture i get projecting on that, so maybe i'll never notice any difference if my pj's bulb goes yellow! But thatll be replaced occasionally anyway so itll probably never get really bad. Or i could paint the wall white and have a yellow bulb and still get the same quality picture. Youre convincing me itll be ok to smoke near the pj now. Thanks :smoke: Im not worried about the health issue. Its a risk im willing to take. Long, healthy lives sound so boring! A wise man, mr bill hicks, once revealed a statistic that non smokers die every day. I take comfort in that. As long as i get enough life out of my pj i'll be happy.

8. Thrash

Thrash
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No one is allowed to smoke in my house, never mind the projector room. You only need to look in the livingroom of a heavy smoker's house to see the sludge on the walls and ceiling, hate to think what that would do to delicate electronics.

On a related matter, roll on Spring 2006 when smoking is banned in enclosed public spaces (in Scotland).

9. Jas

Jas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great for special effects! :eek:
    Not to good for your projector though :suicide:

Cheers Jas

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thats cool mate :D , I justy ask one thing. If the day comes when your lying in hospital coughing up your guts, I want you to get to a PC and post here to say that your happy to die because long lifes are so boring :smashin:

11. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,909
    Regardless of the health issues (which are an entirely different question) it isn't just the bulb that will get stained; all the optics - prisms, LCD chips, lenses etc will also get coated and go yellow. A new bulb isn't the cure; a new projector will be - in time.

12. Siamese Cat

Siamese Cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Regardless of the projector issues... my Father was diagnosed with lung cancer, caused by smoking, on Sept 23rd.
    He died 10 days later

13. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Thats what im worried about. Unfortunate that these units arent better protected against these things out of the box. I may look into a better solution (And, no im not going to give up smoking). I wonder how much smoke a projector can take before it noticably affects performance, or how much less life i'll get out of the unit if it operates in a smoky environment. How long have you been using yours while smoking juniper? And I dont suppose theres anyone on this forum that has broken a projector by smoking or knows of a case where this has happened?

Dont want this thread to go completely off topic but, im sorry for your loss siamese cat and understand how you feel about smokers. Each to his own devices is all i can say. I smoke weed in the privacy of my own home before anyone mentions passive smoking but if anyone wants to discuss this in great length feel free to pm me or post in general chat as this is a thread about smoke damaging projectors :smashin:

14. mi_july

mi_july

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pub projectors have special smoke boxes to prevent most of the smoke getting into your projector..without seriously affecting airflow, it might well be a worthwhile investment as it is unlikely to cost more than replacing your projector.

15. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    A friend of mine told me that he was in a pub with an LCD projector (in some holiday resort. Owner told him he gets a year out of each projector before the smoke ruins it.

16. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without getting in to weather one should smoke or not the way I see it is that the projectors life will be shortened by smoking in the same room as it. I just got one and I intend to smoke as normal while watching it, I never go to the pictures the main reason being you cant smoke and films are getting longer (the other reason is that for whatever reason I allways need the loo half way through a film and you cant pause the pictures :) )