"Smelly" Panasonic PT-AE900E

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by lizardgun, Aug 28, 2006.

1. lizardgun

lizardgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I just bought a Panasonic PT-AE900E (its my 2nd PJ) and I am a little concerned it seems a bit "smelly", for want of a better word. It doesn't smell as if any of the electrical components are actually burning, but as a computer engineer it doesn't smell quite right to me.

Having said that, the overheating temperature alarm hasn't gone off, and I have watched two movies on it without any image quality problems. The smell seems to eminate from the front air exhaust.

Has anybody experienced anything similar, and if so does the smell fade over time as the components bed down?

2. morksbeanbag

morksbeanbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    This is very common with new electronics as they heat up.

Projectors get pretty hot, especially the LCD and DLP type.

I'm sure after a week or two of use (depending on how much you use it) the smell will go away.

If it doesn't, or if the smell is getting worse and smells like burning then take it back.

3. lizardgun

lizardgun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I'll wait a few more more weeks and see if the smell lessons/goes away.

4. steve998

steve998

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Harmon Kardon AV amp smelled alot when i first used it...... after about 3 weeks it stopped.

I kinda miss it now..... :rotfl: (weird i know)

5. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Sometime a moth or fly or other insect decides to park itself where it shouldnt and quickly becomes toast. That doesnt half smell and it doesnt go until fully cremated