Smell & taste still not right 4 months on

W0LFIE

I'm sure I had Covid when I lost all sense of smell & taste mid/late March. It's taken months to gradually come back but it's still not 100%, nearly 4 months later. There's even times when it feels like I'm taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back as some days it seems to get worse again.
Not feeling sorry for myself, appreciate I'm lucky to have only lost my smell and taste. More frustrated than anything as I love my food, wine & beer.

The reason I'm posting is I've noticed a new thing in the last 2 weeks. Its not pleasant and I wanted to see if anyone on here has experienced similar.
In the last 2 weeks I've been picking up a really unpleasant flavour in a variety of foods. It's difficult to describe but its like burnt coffee & burning plastic. (The smell of wet coffee grains after you've made the coffee)

I'm pretty sure my smell/taste receptors are still damaged but also think they're now picking up saccharin and translating it into this unpleasant flavour. When its apparent it really does spoil the flavour of whatever it is Im eating or drinking.
One prime example is Coca-Cola - it now tastes like cleaning fluid - whether its Diet Coke or standard (full fat) Coke.

It's apparent in quite a few things but there's times now when I think I can smell it too.
I did wonder if I had a sinus infection but I'm now pretty sure it's due to damage done by Covid.

Anyone else experiencing this or similar?

richp007

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure we've had that many people here with Covid in all honesty. But someone might be able to locate with what you're getting.

I've read snippets of info about people struggling with taste and smell, but as with everything to do with post-illness there doesn't appear to be much information out there. It's a vast unknown still.

If I come across anything useful I'll pop a link in here.

Hopefully things improve for you.

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I'm sure I had Covid when I lost all sense of smell & taste mid/late March. It's taken months to gradually come back but it's still not 100%, nearly 4 months later. There's even times when it feels like I'm taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back as some days it seems to get worse again.
Not feeling sorry for myself, appreciate I'm lucky to have only lost my smell and taste. More frustrated than anything as I love my food, wine & beer.

The reason I'm posting is I've noticed a new thing in the last 2 weeks. Its not pleasant and I wanted to see if anyone on here has experienced similar.
In the last 2 weeks I've been picking up a really unpleasant flavour in a variety of foods. It's difficult to describe but its like burnt coffee & burning plastic. (The smell of wet coffee grains after you've made the coffee)

I'm pretty sure my smell/taste receptors are still damaged but also think they're now picking up saccharin and translating it into this unpleasant flavour. When its apparent it really does spoil the flavour of whatever it is Im eating or drinking.
One prime example is Coca-Cola - it now tastes like cleaning fluid - whether its Diet Coke or standard (full fat) Coke.

It's apparent in quite a few things but there's times now when I think I can smell it too.
I did wonder if I had a sinus infection but I'm now pretty sure it's due to damage done by Covid.

I haven’t got personal experience but ICYMI apparently it’s possible to retrain your sense of smell after suffering from anosmia and parosmia following a viral infection.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member

Instead of attempting to self diagnose and draw conclusions, I would suggest to get some medical assistance and get everything checked out.

Skyfall74

In reading the article:

It reads;

"Some coronavirus patients may start to regain their sense of smell as their olfactory neurons regenerate over the course weeks or months. These patients often develop "parosmia" — a distorted sense of smell — as they recover, which can turn otherwise pleasant aromas into foul odors like chemicals or burning."

As you're experiencing the above, I might suggest that this is a positive sign, that your smell receptors are regenerating properly.

As with any damage to neurological areas, it takes a LONG time to heal.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom