Smell of burning on sony dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by merlynn, May 23, 2003.

1. merlynn

merlynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I seem to get a faint burning smell when using my Sony Dvd player i wonder if anybody else has experienced the same problem it does not appear to cause any other problems .

2. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have heard reports of Sony players generally overheating, ie cooking discs, but a burning smell sure isn't good.
    I would phone customer service of the shop or maybe email sony and see if they have had any similar problems

3. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't sound good. electronics really should not smell of burning. :eek: :eek:

Is it in a dusty environment ??. It may just be a build up of dust getting heated. Take it out and give it good dusting.

Is it getting too hot ??. After its been on a while check the case for 'hot spots'. Make sure its in a ventilated area and not sitting right on top of your amp etc.

I have a Toshiba DVD player and it kicks out very little heat but I would imagine that they will be about the same, there is not much in the way of high-power using components in a DVD player.

If there are any hot spots get it checked out (or replaceed if it is under warranty).

Hope this helps

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It may not cause other problems, but as said above, get it checked out. I would stop using it and unplug it from the mains in the meantime. The last thing you want is it starting a house fire :eek:

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,478
    Moved to DVD players forum

Greg