1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smearing on picture of Toshiba 30wl46 and 32wl48?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by WonkyEwok, Dec 29, 2004.

1. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Has anyone been able to compare the Toshiba 30wl46 and 32wl48 for smearing during fast motion scenes? I'm thinking strongly of getting the 32WL48, but after just seeing a 30WL46 I'm a bit worried...

I've just been to Curries and (apart from being probably connected somewhat poorly to the DVD player) the 30wl46 seemed to have quite visible smearing / after-images during fast motion in comparison with a Sony KLV32(?), as well as a much "grey-er" black. They were playing spiderman, the fight scene with the Goblin near the end, which is mostly quite dark.

On another player there was another Sony (also excellent) and a Samsung (_really_ awful, but it was probably the setup)

Does anyone know if the 32wl48 better than the 30wl46 during fast motion scenes? Do Curries set them up / connect their displays in such a way that they perform badly?

Thanks

2. Skiny

Skiny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 32WL48 has an 8ms response time, so I don't think you will see any smearing.

3. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Yeah I saw the 27WL46 (I think) at an AV shop that are getting some 32WL48 into demo next week(thats if I can resist the temptation and not just order one off the net :devil: ) and it looked to have trails to.....however I'd say the brightness was too high and so was the backlight and the guy kept messing with the DNR so I reckon it could look much better.

4. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Yeah, but how is the 8ms measured? :mad: :nono:

5. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some settings on the 30WL46 have to stay off or pretty low cause they induce high smearing... I dont remember if its sharpness , peak luminance or the addition of to many processings that caused it but while playing with settings I once had horrible results...Specially really annoying trails, you could almost see doubled faces for example...
    But with the right settings I've never experienced this again...

Its not about the screen or response time but more about bad processing or maybe high dsp usage if too many of them :) ( felt a bit like this indeed)

About the colors the default is set to cold (although its named normal while you should be on warm to have normal colors ,its a bug in the firmware) so many shops may leave this setting by default witch doesnt pay justice to the screen...

6. Richard78

Richard78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not trying to be a post whore, but a put this in another post,
    Newby Help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi i'm new to the forum, came across your thread whilst looking for reviews on this set. I viewed the Toshiba 30WL46P in Hughes today, they ran a direct feed from a cheap Samsung DVD via Scart to the Set and played Shreck2. There was a Phillips 28" underneath. The Phillips looked fantastic in comparison to the Tosh. But having read the review above i was expecting so much more
    Do you think this poor qaulity was due to the set, the player the lead, the way the unit was set up (having said that a played with the setting to try to get it better, but to no avail).
    Image lacked colour and sharpness and small details, (princesses crown) were blurred.
    I would appreciate your views as i really want to buy a LCD unit.
    Is there a difference in the models? Sorry for all the Q's.
    Thanks,
    Richard

7. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    I don't see any smearing on mine. Settings to see the 30Wl46 in a better light include

Switch DNR OFF
    Colour temperature to warm
    Keep contrast at 100%. Colour and brightness should be left at 50 and sharpness at around 6.
    Turn backlight down to about 2 (may need to be a little higher if in bright store)
    Use black stretch if the picture is a bright and vibrant one
    Only use luminance peaking when on an RGB input scart source

I have "wow'ed" people with the picture on Shrek 2 and this TV.

If you go back to the shop and have the chance to try this, I will be interested to know your opinion. Note that the backlight control is under the rightmost icon in the menu system, and not with the other picture controls.

Jonathan

8. Richard78

Richard78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going in in my lunch break, trouble is now i'm startin to look at the 32WL48 :rolleyes: , because I thought the 30WL46 wasn't very good. Will try the setting and see how we get on. To be honest, they're probably :censored: all over the place cos the 4yr old shop attendant couldn't leave the controls alone. Think he was trying to alter the contrast with the volume control,Monkey!

9. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JonStatt: My settings are pretty similar to yours...
    If I remember correctly , it was the addition of DNR and sharpness set too high that caused the smearing I experienced...
    Anyway I got most of these FX off cause I find it better without.
    I like the image a bit soft and natural not too sharp or detailed and I think most of the processes are finally a bit unnatural...

Richard: Wasnt it an Hitachi instead? Im not aware of a Philips 28"..

10. JonStatt

JonStatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +446
    Gnudi: Good to know your settings are similiar as I really felt it gave mine the best possible image.

The thing about the Toshiba is that the sharpness control only has an effect on terrestrial or composite/s-video sources. If you are using RGB, then the sharpness control does nothing at all, which can make the image more soft than I like. However, the luminance peaking does work with RGB sources and is effectively another kind of sharpness control. I don't find terrestrial images ever look soft.

The 32WL48 is an Active vision set. This means it has more processing power. I believe the LCD reaction time to be the same for both the 30WL46 and 32WL48. However the 32WL48, with its extra processing power may be less likely to smear when you switch on all the gadgetry.

My parents recently purchased a JVC 26 LCD with built-in digital tuner. The image is more punchy than the Toshiba, and there is a bit more contrast available there. However, it is lacking the detail in the faces that the Toshiba picks up, no matter how much I fiddle with the controls.

Jonathan

11. Richard78

Richard78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

Sorry my fault 26",
    Nearly the same price as the Tosh, but the visual was stunning, very good depth of colour, just not bloomin big enough :clap:

12. Richard78

Richard78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gnudi, Well ive been back and used your settings, certainly made a big difference. However still not as rich as the Phillips 26" which shows the same image below. Really disappointed. I'm going to go to another store at the weekend and see if i can get a second look, might also look at the 32PL9886, but at X2 the price is a big jump in terms of spending. Thank you for your valued help.